Is the the home theater/soundbar good for classical listening?
Richard Sauer
2020-09-27 17:28:21 UTC
There was a time when the soundbar was something of an audio joke, but there are some positive reviews of the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite which makes me wonder if this set-up has real possibilites for the serious listener. Now I know of only one recording in Atmos: Karajan's 77 DG Beethoven cycle...but will ordinary cds and blu-ray audio sound great on a high-end home theater system? Serious listeners have the expensive stuff upstairs, and the family room downstairs has the home theater...but are we getting to the point where one system will satisfy all listeners?

Rich
MiNe109
2020-09-27 18:40:30 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
There was a time when the soundbar was something of an audio joke,
but there are some positive reviews of the Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite
which makes me wonder if this set-up has real possibilites for the
Karajan's 77 DG Beethoven cycle...but will ordinary cds and blu-ray
audio sound great on a high-end home theater system? Serious
listeners have the expensive stuff upstairs, and the family room
downstairs has the home theater...but are we getting to the point
where one system will satisfy all listeners?
Not if it's a soundbar. Otherwise, yes, possibly. See BIS, Pentatone,
Dutton-Vocalion for high-quality multichannel recordings both original
and reissued as well as the major labels.

Some argue that room-correction commonly found in AVRs but rarely in
stereo gear is necessary for proper bass. It's hard to imagine how a
well-setup multichannel system wouldn't sound good in two channels given
reasonably transparent equipment and well-designed speakers.
r***@gmail.com
2020-09-29 00:30:45 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Post by Richard Sauer
[...]
I don't have a sound bar. However, the living room contains an Onkyo home theatre receiver, which drives a Celestion AV speaker array consisting of two main front speakers, each with Celestion subwoofer, two ceiling height front speakers, and ceiling and ear height speakers at the side and rear.
I bought them at the time that 3D blurays became available, and believe me when I say that both Jurassic Park and its sequels, Avatar, and so on looked and sounded great.
I have no complaints about their performance on Radio 3 (via Apple TV), on downloads, on CDs, or on SACD/Bluray discs, though the high level speakers seldom come into play.
MiNe109
2020-09-29 19:07:58 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by MiNe109
Post by Richard Sauer
[...]
Sounds like fun! Does classical sound okay upmixed with the height
speakers? I generally like pure stereo for classical but I'll admit
sometimes synthesized ambiance is pleasant in my 5.1 theater system.

My stereo is actually an Integra home theater receiver which adds a
subwoofer to my bottom of the line Dynaudio speakers with a proper
crossover.
r***@gmail.com
crossover.
r***@gmail.com
2020-10-06 00:30:30 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by MiNe109
Post by Richard Sauer
[...]
In use for music I don't feed the high level speakers. The receiver knows the difference between what it gets in a DOLBY format of some kind, and stereo. At some point I hope to resurrect an SQ/QS system to listen to some quad LPs and their EMI and Vox CD counterparts, which, it has been alleged, actually used the quad-encoded masters of the LPs rather than the plain stereo.
I can say that the RCA Living Stero Heifetz SACDs sound very much better than the plain CDs or LPs.
MiNe109
2020-10-06 14:15:38 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by MiNe109
On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 2:40:35 PM UTC-4, MINe109
Post by MiNe109
Post by Richard Sauer
[...]
I've seen Amazon is streaming classical music in Atmos, but I don't know
how they generate the extra channels. My purist side would be biased
towards a recording made for it but that could mean a long wait for
anything to compete with the existing catalog.

Yes, it's quite the hunt to find multichannel rereleases. I haven't had
much luck with "hidden" surround on cd but there are many examples for
lps. I take it that it was cheaper to sell quad versions as stereo than
to have separate pressings.

It's not to everyone's taste, but I enjoy the reissues of the fully
immersive Boulez Stravinsky and Bartok recordings on Dutton-Vocalion.