"If you listen to Glenn Gould, are you listening to Bach or not?" (recent article)
2021-02-18 22:18:43 UTC
https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/translator-damion-searls-patrick-modiano.html
gggg gggg
2021-02-19 17:04:53 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/translator-damion-searls-patrick-modiano.html
- You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way.

Wanda Landowska
Owen
2021-02-22 05:18:49 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by gggg gggg
https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/translator-damion-searls-patrick-modiano.html
- You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way.
Wanda Landowska
I reckon she was old enough to have heard him.

I had a conversation with a student of Denise Restout who was Landowska’s close assistant and house mate in Lakeville CT for many decades. She told him that Landowska had indeed heard Gould’s 1955 Goldberg recording and afterwards said “He plays like a monkey”.
Herman
2021-02-22 11:38:47 UTC
This question is too easy. You're listening to Gould's self-indulgence.

It's highly entertaining, and very much of its era, but self-indulgence just the same.

If in doubt, just look at Gould interviewing himself.
Henk vT
2021-02-22 17:07:24 UTC
Post by Owen
Post by gggg gggg
Post by gggg gggg
https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/translator-damion-searls-patrick-modiano.html
- You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way.
Wanda Landowska
I reckon she was old enough to have heard him.
-Owen
I had a conversation with a student of Denise Restout who was Landowska’s close assistant and house mate in Lakeville CT for many decades. She told him that Landowska had indeed heard Gould’s 1955 Goldberg recording and afterwards said “He plays like a monkey”.
I'm not sure what she meant by that. He has a very unnatural way of sitting at the piano. Menuhin (iirc) was fascinated by the musician Gould. He learned more from him than from Kempff.

But chacun sa musique.

2021-11-18 07:15:37 UTC
Post by Owen
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical/c/9fkvjhKxr-E