Rostropovich Cancels NSO Concerts
George Murnu
2006-10-21 03:53:58 UTC
Received this e-mail:

Event Update: NSO ticketholders please read - important changes to your
concerts

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PROGRAM AND ARTIST CHANGES
FOR YOUR NOV. 2-4 & NOV. 9-11 CONCERTS

Dear Ticket Holders to NSO Shostakovich Concerts,

The Kennedy Center has been informed that NSO Conductor Laureate Mstislav
Rostropovich must regrettably cancel his Shostakovich Centennial concerts,
due to medical tests and evaluations.

Most of the artists and repertoire originally scheduled for Nov. 2-4 & 9-11
(concerts including Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich) have been changed,
per the new concert listings further below. We hope that Maestro
Rostropovich will lead his Shostakovich programs in a future season.

Please note that YO-YO MA WILL STILL APPEAR IN THE NOV. 11 CONCERT,
performing Shostakovich's Cello Concerto No. 1 as originally scheduled.

The new Nov. 2-4 program will feature Pinchas Zukerman conducting
Beethoven's Symphony No. 2 and performing Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5.
The new Nov. 9 & 10 program will feature Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg performing
Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto conducted by Miguel Harth-Bedoya.

ABOUT YOUR TICKETS
*********************************
The tickets you currently hold for NSO Shostakovich Centennial concerts will
be honored for the newly revised programs, for the same date and time as
listed on your tickets.
*********************************

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we look forward to
seeing you in the Concert Hall. Should you have any questions, please
contact the Kennedy Center as follows:

INDIVIDUAL TICKET HOLDERS
Call Instant-Charge at (202) 467-4600
Toll-free (800) 444-1324 | TTY (202) 416-8524
10 a.m.-9 p.m. daily

NSO SUBSCRIBERS
Call the Subscription Office at (202) 416-8500
Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

REVISED CONCERT REPERTOIRE & ARTISTS

Thu., Nov. 2 at 7
Fri., Nov. 3 at 7
Sat. Nov. 4 at 8
PINCHAS ZUKERMAN, conductor and violin
AMANDA FORSYTH, cello
WAGNER, Prelude to Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
BRUCH, Kol Nidrei, Adagio on Hebrew Melodies for Cello and Orchestra
MOZART, Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major
BEETHOVEN, Symphony No. 2 in D major

Thu., Nov. 9 at 7
Fri., Nov. 10 at 7
MIGUEL HARTH-BEDOYA, conductor
NADJA SALERNO-SONNENBERG, violin
RAVEL, Rapsodie espagnole
TCHAIKOVSKY, Concerto in D major for Violin and Orchestra
REVUELTAS, La noche de los mayas
Steve de Mena
2006-10-21 05:21:59 UTC
Post by George Murnu
Event Update: NSO ticketholders please read - important changes to your
concerts
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PROGRAM AND ARTIST CHANGES
FOR YOUR NOV. 2-4 & NOV. 9-11 CONCERTS
Dear Ticket Holders to NSO Shostakovich Concerts,
The Kennedy Center has been informed that NSO Conductor Laureate Mstislav
Rostropovich must regrettably cancel his Shostakovich Centennial concerts,
due to medical tests and evaluations.
Most of the artists and repertoire originally scheduled for Nov. 2-4 & 9-11
(concerts including Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich) have been changed,
Did Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich also need
to go through medical tests and evaluations? What
is their excuse for canceling?

Steve
Matthew B. Tepper
2006-10-21 06:33:24 UTC
Post by George Murnu
Event Update: NSO ticketholders please read - important changes to your
concerts
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PROGRAM AND ARTIST CHANGES
FOR YOUR NOV. 2-4 & NOV. 9-11 CONCERTS
Dear Ticket Holders to NSO Shostakovich Concerts,
The Kennedy Center has been informed that NSO Conductor Laureate
Mstislav Rostropovich must regrettably cancel his Shostakovich
Centennial concerts, due to medical tests and evaluations.
Most of the artists and repertoire originally scheduled for Nov. 2-4 &
9-11 (concerts including Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich) have been
changed,
Did Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich also need to go through medical
tests and evaluations? What is their excuse for canceling?
They're pals with Rostropovich? The substitute conductors didn't have those
particular Shostakovich works in their repertoire? More likely the latter.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
Steve de Mena
2006-10-21 07:51:36 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by George Murnu
[...]
I bet Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich have a
couple of other concerti in their repertoire.

Steve
JohnGavin
2006-10-21 14:55:31 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by George Murnu
[...]
If I had tickets for Rostropovich and Argerich and it changed to
Zuckerman and Sonnenberg, it would be the understatement of the century
to say I'd be disappointed.
George Murnu
2006-10-21 16:48:36 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by George Murnu
[...]
Pretty much how I feel - although Harth-Bedoya is a talented conductor and I
wouldn't mind hearing Noches de lo Mayas live.

Regards,

George
Matthew B. Tepper
2006-10-21 15:10:43 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Did Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich also need to go through medical
tests and evaluations? What is their excuse for canceling?
They're pals with Rostropovich? The substitute conductors didn't have
those particular Shostakovich works in their repertoire? More likely
the latter.
I bet Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich have a couple of other concerti in
their repertoire.
No question there. But it seems that they were engaged for these concerts
specifically in order to perform Shostakovich works with Rostropovich.
Perhaps there were -- dare I speculate? -- recording sessions planned. When
the scheduled conductor cancelled, a large part of the _raison d'être_ for
the concerts disappeared, so the soloists cancelled.

Interestingly, I recall that when Charles Dutoit walked away from Montreal a
few years ago, two of the scheduled soloists who cancelled in sympathy were
Argerich and Rostropovich.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
JohnGavin
2006-10-21 16:44:27 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
[...]
Don't conductors and soloists generally form unofficial understandings
about working together? I remember for example Mrs. Horowitz making a
disparaging remark about Bernstein, which might help to clarify while
her husband never performed with him. When you think about it, there
are some pairs that seem artistically incompatible (perhaps a good
topic for a new thread -"Incompatible Conductors and Soloists".
JohnGavin
JohnGavin
George Murnu
2006-10-21 16:51:32 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Did Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich also need to go through medical
tests and evaluations? What is their excuse for canceling?
They're pals with Rostropovich? The substitute conductors didn't have
those particular Shostakovich works in their repertoire? More likely
the latter.
I bet Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich have a couple of other concerti in
their repertoire.
No question there. But it seems that they were engaged for these concerts
specifically in order to perform Shostakovich works with Rostropovich.
Perhaps there were -- dare I speculate? -- recording sessions planned.
Still optimistic? :-)
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
When
the scheduled conductor cancelled, a large part of the _raison d'être_ for
the concerts disappeared, so the soloists cancelled.
Interestingly, I recall that when Charles Dutoit walked away from Montreal a
few years ago, two of the scheduled soloists who cancelled in sympathy were
Argerich and Rostropovich.
Yes, but this is a different reason: Rostropovich's health, not political
machinations were the issue. One could argue that by showing up Argerich
would have done a great service to Rostropovich's friend Shostakovich, plus
the first piano concerto is not exactly a challenging work to learn for a
conductor.

Regards,

George
Al Eisner
2006-10-21 23:43:29 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by George Murnu
Event Update: NSO ticketholders please read - important changes to your
concerts
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PROGRAM AND ARTIST CHANGES
FOR YOUR NOV. 2-4 & NOV. 9-11 CONCERTS
Dear Ticket Holders to NSO Shostakovich Concerts,
The Kennedy Center has been informed that NSO Conductor Laureate Mstislav
Rostropovich must regrettably cancel his Shostakovich Centennial concerts,
due to medical tests and evaluations.
Most of the artists and repertoire originally scheduled for Nov. 2-4 & 9-11
(concerts including Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich) have been changed,
Did Maxim Vengerov and Martha Argerich also need
to go through medical tests and evaluations? What
is their excuse for canceling?
Argerich, at least, seems to be very particular about what she'll play
in concert and with (or without) whom. In SF a few years ago, she and
Nelson Freire were scheduled to give a two-piano concert (I had a ticket),
but when he had an injury the entire concert was cancelled. In contrast,
when the person (a violinist? - I don't recall) scheduled to appear with
Peter Serkin was ill, he gave a solo recital on his own. I have to say
it wasn't all well-played, so maybe there's a different lesson....
San Mateo Co., CA
Sol L. Siegel
2006-10-22 03:21:29 UTC
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:43:29 -0700, Al Eisner
Post by Al Eisner
Argerich, at least, seems to be very particular about what she'll play
in concert and with (or without) whom.
In Philly, always with her ex-hubby, Dutoit.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA
"It may take a village to raise a child - but it only takes one idiot
to burn down the village."
2006-10-22 17:38:56 UTC
Has single contributor to this thread expressed the slightest concern or
even interest in Rostropovich's health?
Matthew B. Tepper
2006-10-22 19:00:29 UTC
Has single contributor to this thread expressed the slightest concern or
even interest in Rostropovich's health?
I think that concern was taken as given.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet