Bach complete harpsichord concerti
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2020-09-16 20:20:33 UTC
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Daniel Pyle
2020-09-16 21:35:28 UTC
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
My choice is Leonhardt. To my ear, Pinnock sounds attractive and energetic on the surface, but Leonhardt's playing is full of shapes and shape, making the music speak. Pinnock's recordings seem to me to embody Sir Thomas Beecham's remark, "The English do not like music; they just like the noise that it makes." I will happily admit that this is only my own reaction. Many others have found Leonhardt's playing "austere" (an adjective frequently encountered in reviews of his recordings): to me it has never seemed austere, but instead luxurious -- go figure.

daniel
Mandryka
2020-09-16 21:45:08 UTC
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Lars Ulrich Mortensen
Gerard
2020-09-17 09:50:01 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Of these 2 I prefer Pinnock. Who is attractive and energetic indeed.
This music deserves so. It was a kind of entertainment for Bach and his
sons.

There are at least 2 very recent records by Bonizzoni and Risonanza
(Challenge Classics). I did not hear those yet. And there are some more
new recordings.

A very recommendable alternative is a box (6 cds) of Café Zimmermann on
Alpha. This has all concerti (but the 'harpsichord' concerti not all in
the transciption for harpsichord) and orchestral suites.

https://www.amazon.com/Concertos-I-VI-J-S-Bach/dp/B005IQXUQW/
Gerard
2020-09-17 11:02:37 UTC
Post by Gerard
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who.  Recommendations please.
Of these 2 I prefer Pinnock. Who is attractive and energetic indeed.
This music deserves so. It was a kind of entertainment for Bach and his
sons.
There are at least 2 very recent records by Bonizzoni and Risonanza
(Challenge Classics). I did not hear those yet. And there are some more
new recordings.
A very recommendable alternative is a box (6 cds) of Café Zimmermann on
Alpha. This has all concerti (but the 'harpsichord' concerti not all in
the transciption for harpsichord) and orchestral suites.
https://www.amazon.com/Concertos-I-VI-J-S-Bach/dp/B005IQXUQW/
Another alternative is Koopman, on 4 Erato (and Elatus) cds. Probably
not available however - maybe used copies only.
He includes BWV 1059 (as an organ concerto).
dk
2020-09-26 06:38:56 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Susana Ruzickova -- and no one else.

dk
Mandryka
2020-09-26 11:26:10 UTC
Sewing machine
dk
2020-09-28 06:55:30 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by dk
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Susana Ruzickova -- and no one else.
Sewing machine
Harpsichordists are sewing
machines by definition.

2020-09-28 23:00:51 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by dk
Trevor Pinnock, Gustav Leonhardt, who. Recommendations please.
Susana Ruzickova -- and no one else.
Sewing machine
Harpsichordists are sewing
machines by definition.
dk
As opposed to Celibidache, whom many consider a slowing machine...