Sviatioslav Richter's Hammerklavier Sonata recordings
Théo Amon
2018-08-10 17:05:06 UTC
Hi everyone:

could someone list and, if possible, rank Sviatoslav Richter's extant live recordings of Beethoven's op. 106? All I found on Naxos Music Library is a 1976 London version, but I reckon there are others around.

If there's info on the sonic quality of them, that'd be great too (some of those bootlegs from behind the Iron Curtain are almost unbearable...).

Thanks
dk
2018-08-10 17:08:35 UTC
http://trovar.com/str/discs/beeth.html

2018-08-10 17:14:39 UTC
Post by Théo Amon
could someone list and, if possible, rank Sviatoslav
Richter's extant live recordings of Beethoven's op.
106? All I found on Naxos Music Library is a 1976
London version, but I reckon there are others around.
If there's info on the sonic quality of them, that'd
be great too (some of those bootlegs from behind the
Iron Curtain are almost unbearable...).
Thanks
http://trovar.com/str/discs/beeth.html
Note that there appear to be only 3 live
recordings, all dating from June 1975. I
have the Praga and BBC Legends recordings.

Frankly there isn't that much difference
to prefer one over the other, especially
since I do not like the interpretation.

If you like Richter's view of the music
you will probably enjoy both equally. I
just don't. Sometime around 1970 Richter
turned into a more boring pianist than
he was before.

dk
s***@hotmail.com
2018-08-10 18:24:30 UTC
I have all three recordings.

Richter only performed this sonata 22 times, starting in April 1974. Last performance was sometime before 1980. So there is not much difference between the performances.

Soundwise I prefer Praga - I like Stradivarius least. However, I think this was also issued as a BBC recording on Ica - it is not in Geffens discography - except, according to an amazon reviewer, it has different finales (Richter played the finale a second time as an encore). The sound might be better. The BBC Aldeburgh recording is okay.

I agree Richter changed over time - but I appreciate recordings from his entire career (career is not the right word, I know).

Soeren
Al Eisner
2018-08-16 21:11:46 UTC
Post by Théo Amon
[...]
The discography at Doremi additionally lists 4 privately-transfered
performances, all also from 1975. The London performance on Stradivarius
is on youtube, including an encore of the final movement:

(No, I haven't listened.)
l***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 00:37:00 UTC
Post by Théo Amon
[...]
Hi,

The London performance of 18 June 1975 is on the ica label in stereo, in harsh, clangy sound, and unpersuasive playing. I will go with Evgeny Kissin's May 2018 N.Y.C. live performance, thank you.

Mort Linder
dk
2018-08-18 07:35:26 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by Théo Amon
[...]
Limonade rules! No exception! ;-)

dk
l***@gmail.com
2018-08-18 19:31:12 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Post by Théo Amon
[...]
What does the foreign spelling of lemonade have to do with the subject at hand? Please enlighten me.

Mort Linder
Herman
2018-08-18 19:51:21 UTC
He's referring to his current idol, HJLIm.
l***@gmail.com
2018-08-18 20:29:37 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
What does the foreign spelling of lemonade have to do with the subject at hand? Please enlighten me.
Mort Linder
He's referring to his current idol, HJLIm.
Thanks a lot. I can more or less speak 6 languages, but new slang is not one of them. Then you have confusion , such as:

LOL = lots of love
LOL = laughing out loud

Mort Linder
dk