Jean-Rodolphe Kars anyone?
2020-11-20 06:55:49 UTC
Thoughts, impressions, recommendations?

TIA

2020-11-20 13:02:14 UTC
Thoughts, impressions, recommendations?
TIA
dk
2 things immediately come to my memory:

1. Messiaen
2. He gave up the piano to enter into priesthood. (He had my full admiration for that).
Frank Lekens
2020-11-20 14:06:26 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by dk
Thoughts, impressions, recommendations?
TIA
dk
1. Messiaen
2. He gave up the piano to enter into priesthood. (He had my full admiration for that).
Debussy.
--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/
https://franklekens.blogspot.nl/
Lawrence Chalmers
I second the Debussy recordings of Books 1 and 2 of the preludes.
Henk vT
2020-11-20 18:44:13 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
1. Messiaen
2. He gave up the piano to enter into priesthood. (He had my full admiration for that).
Thanks for mentioning his Messiaen. I didn't know Kras recorded it.

Henk
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-11-20 21:03:33 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by JohnGavin
1. Messiaen
2. He gave up the piano to enter into priesthood. (He had my full admiration for that).
Thanks for mentioning his Messiaen. I didn't know Kras recorded it.
Henk
There is/was an Eloquence 2cd available (listed as not available currently) on Amazon, by Kars of Messiaen selections from Vingt Regards (recorded from live concert in Amsterdam 1976), and the Debussy preludes. I was seriously thinking about it several months ago. Kars is still a priest afaik.
Kars also recorded Debussy/Delius (Fantaisie/Concerto) on Decca with Sir Alexander Gibson.

Ray Hall, Taree
MickeyBoy
2020-11-21 18:52:32 UTC
I heard him play in 1971 at Warwick University. Memory is vague, but I believe Messiaen was on the program. Memory not vague: I thoroughly enjoyed his playing.
Dennis Davis
2020-11-22 09:18:25 UTC
Post by MickeyBoy
Post by dk
Thoughts, impressions, recommendations?
TIA
dk
I heard him play in 1971 at Warwick University. Memory is vague, but I believe Messiaen was on the program. Memory not vague: I thoroughly enjoyed his playing.
I heard him only the once in concert, at the Proms playing Messiaen's Sept Haikai with the BBC Symphony Orchestra/Pierre Boulez and again, much later when he had become Pere Jean-Rodolphe, he participated in a Messiaen conference and played for us a movement from Vingt Regards sur l'enfant-Jesus. Magical!