Smeterlin
Add Reply
j***@gmail.com
2013-05-29 19:11:44 UTC
Beste....

Ik ben in bezit van de Nederlandse LP Chopin op CNR sklp 4101.
De hoes en de plaat zelf zijn nog las nieuw.

Heeft u interesse?

Met vriendelijke groet,

John van Luijn
I was a pupil of Jan Smeterlin (living in the UK) and have recently started
to play concerts again after many years away from performance. Recently, the
whole of my record collection was lost while in storage, including LPs and
tapes of Smeterlin. I now want very much to find fresh copies of all that
may still be available of these.
The records which were commercially issued which I know about are the
1 Philips LP (1955) of complete Chopin Nocturnes (2 disks A00256/7). This
was re-issued on 2 CDs and deleted again in about 1997. I do not at the
moment have the number of the re-issue.
2 RCA Victor LP LBC 1076 Smeterlin plays Johannes Brahms, including the
Paganini Variations and Variations on an Original Theme.
3 CNR (a Dutch company) LP (S) KLP 4101 issued in about 1963/4 of Chopin
Waltzes and Mazurkas.
4 Gallaxy Series Allegro 3042 Chopin mixed programme including Barcarolle,
Berceuse, 2 Etudes, Scherzo in C minor etc.
I am not sure who made the Allegro label, or where or when this was issued,
though I understand it was an LP. If anyone can tell me more about this
company and recording I would be very interested.
I also had some tapes of BBC broadcasts made in 1959/60. These included a
performance of the Chopin B flat minor Sonata, which I fear I shall never
hear again as the BBC, as is their vandalous custom, appear to have
destroyed most if not all their tapes of Smeterlin (and they must have had
many) and there is also no copy at the British Sound Archives (though they
do have one or two others tapes from broadcasts).
I understand that there were also a number of privately made recordings of
Smeterlin (e.g. Harvard Musical Association concert from 1966 and Chopin
Piano Concerto in F minor with Koussevitzky and Boston Symphony from 1936)
which were around in the United States at least until a little time ago.
I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has, or knows of the
whereabouts of, any copy of any of the above, or who knows of any other
recordings or tapes which exist of Smeterlin. I anyone has any relevant
information, please either post it or send me a direct e-mail.
Thanks!
j***@gmail.com
2020-08-09 15:56:42 UTC
I am also a fan of Smeterlin and Heard- him many years ago when he toured New Zealand. have some Smeterling recordings and would be happy to send you through internet directly. Please send me your private email address. I am also interested to hear about his teaching.
Good luck in your search.
Janos Cegledy <***@gmail.com>
http://www2.gol.com/users/cegledy/Leschetizky.html
g***@mostyn.com
The Smeterlin discs with Koussevitzky are in my possession. These discs are the only known source. An official release with full Boston Symphony authorization is in the offing. Stay tuned.
a***@gmail.com
2020-08-10 03:05:18 UTC
In case anyone reading this old thread is still hunting: Two-CD set of Chopin was recently issued by Australian Eloquence: https://classicsdirect.com.au/jan-smeterlin-plays-chopin/
Also (more expensive for the product itself, though postage may change matters) at eg Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Jan-Smeterlin/dp/B087XPNC46
Frank Berger
2020-08-10 04:02:38 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Lot's of nice background on Smeterlin. How well did he play
the piano? Any comments on the playing and sound on the
Eloquence release?
Mandryka
2020-08-10 21:39:14 UTC
The Chopin Nocturnes on Philips are given a much better transfer on Forgotten Records. I’m glad to have it because I find them listenable - entertaining Chopin, but none the worse for that. Normally I can’t listen to more than a couple of nocturnes at a time, but with Smeterlin I can listen to more than that.

Apart from that I’ve got some amateur transfers of LPs - Brahms variations, including Original Theme, and Chopin with mazurkas. I can’t remember a thing about them.
Frank Berger
2020-08-10 23:24:56 UTC
Post by Mandryka
The Chopin Nocturnes on Philips are given a much better transfer on Forgotten Records.
You mean better than the Decca Eloquence?

vhorowitz
2020-08-11 00:00:29 UTC
Can’t compare Forgotten Records issue, but the new Eloquence is far better sounding than the very dull previous Philips issue. It really does allow one to appreciate his beautifully sensitive and unique playing. Too bad he didn’t do a complete Mazurkas....the ones that do exist are among my favorites.
Frank Berger
2020-08-11 00:19:21 UTC
Thanks. Will order. Maybe if it sells, they'll release more.
George
2020-11-17 03:00:40 UTC
Can’t compare Forgotten Records issue, but the new Eloquence is far better sounding than the very dull previous Philips issue. It really does allow one to appreciate his beautifully sensitive and unique playing. Too bad he didn’t do a complete Mazurkas....the ones that do exist are among my favorites.
Just wanted to say thanks for recommending the new Eloquence set! I got a copy this week and it does sound a lot clearer than the dull previous "Early Years" issue. It's always nice when the best sounding version is in print and inexpensive, as this seems to happen rarely.

George