a list of imprinting versions, and a tribute
2019-08-12 11:58:05 UTC
When I recently found information about a reissue of the recording of Rimsky's Sheherazade by Igor Markevitch, I realized that I have been quite "lucky" regarding 'imprinting versions' of a lot of masterpieces of classical music. Recordings I still remember, and I still consider most of them to be top recordings. Some are really unforgettable.

OTTOMH a list of a few of those recordings; all on LP, many of them mono; bought around 1966-1971 during my college days, mostly symphonies. A time of hits and misses.
These recordings became (justly so or not) subjective standards to which other recording would be judged. Some of these recordings I have never found (or bought) on CD, so I have not heard those more than 25 years now. Curious thing: in spite of not having heard them so long I still remember how they sounded so long ago, on very ordinary mono equipment. This was confirmed last week, when I received a CD with Schubert 8th by Karajan on DG: this was the sound I remembered, while this cannot be the same sound of course. In that period the impressions were much stronger, and listening to a new (for me a first) recording of e.g. Beethoven 7th was much more exciting than these days,

Of course the list is arbitrary, and nothing special - just standard repertoire. These are only a few recordings I remember being "imprinting versions"; it is not a list of "best recordings". I feel lucky that I could afford these recordings in those days. Well, hm, actually I could not afford them really ;-)
I'm sure that some people here will recognize a lot of these recordings as good "old friends". And I'm curious how many of these recordings were also imprinting recordings to them.

Most of the musicians on these recordings are no longer alive. So it is also a tribute to them, a "thank you" for all the pleasure and excitement they have given to me during my discovery of classical music and the years after.

Bartok Concerto for orchestra Solti, LSO (Decca)
Beethoven Symphony 1 and 8 Monteux (RCA)
Beethoven Symphony 2 Klemperer (EMI)
Beethoven Symphony 3 Karajan (EMI)
Beethoven Symphony 4, 6, 9 Schmidt-Isserstedt (Decca)
Beethoven Symphony 5 Szell (Philips)
Beethoven Symphony 7 Karajan (DG)
Beethoven piano concerto 4 Gilels, Ludwig (EMI)
Beethoven piano concerto 5 Cliburn, Reiner (RCA)
Beethoven violin concerto Francescatti, Walter (CBS)
Beethoven sonata 23 Richter (RCA)
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique Paray (Mercury)
Bizet Arlésienne suites Cluytens (EMI)
Borodin Symphony 2 Martinon (Decca)
Brahms Symphony 1 Klemperer (EMI)
Brahms Symphony 2 Kertesz (Decca)
Brahms Symphony 4 Karajan (DG)
Brahms 8 Hungarian Dances Karajan (DG)
Brahms piano concerto 1 Curzon, Szell (Decca)
Brahms piano concerto 2 Ashkenazy, Mehta (Decca)
Brahms violin concerto Oistrach, Klemperer (EMI)
Brahms double concerto Schneiderhan, Starker, Fricsay (DG)
Bruckner Symphony 4 Klemperer (EMI)
Bruckner Symphony 9 Jochum (DG)
Chopin piano conc. 1 and 2 Weissenberg, Skrowaczewski (EMI)
Debussy Images Cluytens (EMI)
Delibes Coppelia/Sylvia highlights Dorati, Fistoulari (Philips)
Dvorak Symphony 6 Rowicki (Philips)
Dvorak Symphony 7, 8, 9 Kertesz (Decca)
Dvorak celloconcerto Rostropovich, Boult (EMI)
Elgar Pomp & Circumstance Barbirolli (EMI)
Elgar cello concerto du Pré, Barbirolli (EMI)
Falla Three-cornered Hat suite Maazel (DG)
Franck Symphony Maazel (DG)
Grieg Peer Gynt (selection) Barbirolli (EMI)
Haydn Paris symphonies Ansermet (Decca)
Haydn trumpet concerto Longinotti, Ansermet (Decca)
Holst The Planets Karajan (Decca)
Janacek Sinfonietta Ancerl (Supraphon)
Khatchaturian Gayaneh suite Rozhdestvensky (DG)
Kodaly Hary Janos suite Fricsay (DG)
Liszt pianoconc. 1 and 2 Richter, Kondrashin (Philips)

Mahler Symphony 1 Walter (CBS)
Mahler Symphony 2 Solti (Decca)
Mahler Symphony 3 Bernstein (CBS)
Mahler Symphony 4 Kletzki (EMI)
Mahler Symphony 5 Bernstein (CBS)
Mahler Symphony 9 Haitink (Philips)
Mahler Lieder Fischer-Dieskau, Furtwängler, Kempe (EMI)
Mahler Lied von der Erde Klemperer (EMI)
Mahler Des Knaben Wunderhorn Szell (EMI)
Mendelssohn Symphony 3 and 4 Abbado (Decca)
Mozart Symphony 40 Giulini (Decca)
Mozart Symphony 41 Karajan (Decca)
Mozart piano concerti Barenboim (EMI)
Mozart violin concerti Grumiaux, Davis (Philips)
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet suites Skrowaczewski (Mercury)
Prokofiev piano concerto 3 Argerich, Abbado (DG)
Rachmaninov piano concerto 2 Ashkenazy, Kondrashin (Decca)
Rachmaninov piano concerto 3 Moguilevsky, Kondrashin (Melodiya)
Ravel Daphnis et Chloé Monteux (Decca)
Ravel piano concerto Argerich, Abbado (DG)
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade Markevitch (Philips)
Rimsky-Korsakov Golden Cockerel suite Markevitch (DG)
Rossini overtures Giulini (EMI)
Saint-Saëns Symphony 3 Mehta (Decca)
Saint-Saëns pianoconc. 2 and 4 Entremont, Ormandy (CBS)
Schubert Symphony 8 Karajan (DG)
Schubert Symphony 9 Szell (Epic)
Schubert Die schöne Müllerin Haefliger, Bonneau (DG)
Shostakovich Symphony 5 Kondrashin (Melodiya)
Shostakovich violin concerto 1 Oistrach, Mravinsky (Melodiya)
Sibelius Symphony 2 Szell (Philips)
Sibelius Symphony 5 Karajan (DG)
Sibelius violin concerto Oistrach, Rozhdestvensky (Melodiya)
Stravinsky Sacre du printemps Markevitch (EMI)
Stravinsky Petrouchka Ivanov (Melodiya)
Stravinsky violin concerto Oistrach, Haitink (Philips)
Stravinsky Pulcinella Ansermet (Decca)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 2 Giulini (EMI)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 Fricsay (DG)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 5 Fricsay (DG)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 6 Giulini (EMI)
Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings Barbirolli (EMI)
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker Previn (EMI)
Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini Rozhdestvensky (DG)
Verdi Requiem Solti (Decca)
Wagner overtures etc Szell (CBS)

What? No Bach or Handel or Vivaldi? My early acquisitions of recordings of baroque music appear to have been completely forgettable.
Except this one:
Vivaldi Concerto RV 127 and flute concerto 'La Notte' Barshai (EMI)
;-)
RANDY WOLFGANG
What a fascinating list - I also imprinted on the Schmidt-Isserstedt Beethoven 9 in the blue box with the great cover.
Frank Berger
2019-08-12 13:46:47 UTC
Post by Gerard
[...]
I have 40 performances of Scheherazade but not Markevitch. I don't know
why not. For that matter I don't know why I have 40 performances of
Scheherazade. The Markevitch was re-released on Eloquence in July. I
guess I'll have 41 soon.
Gerard
2019-08-12 18:42:18 UTC
I have 40 performances of Scheherazade but not Markevitch. I don't know
why not. For that matter I don't know why I have 40 performances of
Scheherazade. The Markevitch was re-released on Eloquence in July. I
guess I'll have 41 soon.
I have only 25 or 27 or so. But the Eloquence issue will be bought for sure.
Has the recording by Markevitch been available on CD before (because you wrote "re-released)?
Frank Berger
2019-08-12 20:18:31 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
I have 40 performances of Scheherazade but not Markevitch. I don't know
why not. For that matter I don't know why I have 40 performances of
Scheherazade. The Markevitch was re-released on Eloquence in July. I
guess I'll have 41 soon.
I have only 25 or 27 or so. But the Eloquence issue will be bought for sure.
Has the recording by Markevitch been available on CD before (because you wrote "re-released)?
https://tinyurl.com/y6qjc24k

I'm always torn between the original and the re-release. Often the
original has nice artwork and the re-release is generic at best. But
then there may have been some remastering.
Frank Berger
2019-08-12 20:32:59 UTC
Post by Gerard
I have 40 performances of Scheherazade but not Markevitch.  I don't know
why not.  For that matter I don't know why I have 40 performances of
Scheherazade.  The Markevitch was re-released on Eloquence in July.  I
guess I'll have 41 soon.
I have only 25 or 27 or so. But the Eloquence issue will be bought for sure.
Has the recording by Markevitch been available on CD before (because
you wrote "re-released)?
https://tinyurl.com/y6qjc24k
I'm always torn between the original and the re-release.  Often the
original has nice artwork and the re-release is generic at best.  But
then there may have been some remastering.
I just noticed that the above is Kondrashin in Scheherazade. Perhaps the
eloquence is the first CD release as I think you knew/suspected.
Frank Berger
2019-08-12 20:38:33 UTC
Post by Gerard
I have 40 performances of Scheherazade but not Markevitch.  I don't know
why not.  For that matter I don't know why I have 40 performances of
Scheherazade.  The Markevitch was re-released on Eloquence in July.  I
guess I'll have 41 soon.
I have only 25 or 27 or so. But the Eloquence issue will be bought for sure.
Has the recording by Markevitch been available on CD before (because
you wrote "re-released)?
https://tinyurl.com/y6qjc24k
I'm always torn between the original and the re-release.  Often the
original has nice artwork and the re-release is generic at best.  But
then there may have been some remastering.
I just noticed that the above is Kondrashin in Scheherazade. Perhaps the
eloquence is the first CD release as I think you knew/suspected.
The Eloquence web site say it's the first CD release on Decca. It was
released by Doremi on CD. Likely a pirate?
Gerard
That is indeed the recording by Kondrashin (his only studio recording with the Concertgebouw Orchestra). It has been reissued later in the 'Virtuoso' series, coupled with Borodin's 2nd. So I had to buy that one too, because of the (not so special) Borodin.
d***@gmail.com
2019-08-12 23:23:44 UTC
The analogue Kondrashin/Concertgebouw Scheherazade was included in the very first batch of CDs issued by Polygram in late 1982. It was reviewed by Gramophone in March 1983.
HT
2019-08-12 17:37:07 UTC
Post by Gerard
Bartok Concerto for orchestra
Beethoven Symphony 1 - 8 Furtwangler
Beethoven Symphony 9 Jochum
Beethoven piano concerto 4 Kempff
Beethoven piano concerto 5 Backhaus
Beethoven violin concerto
Beethoven sonata 23
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Bizet Arlésienne suites
Borodin Symphony 2
Brahms Symphony 1
Brahms Symphony 2
Brahms Symphony 4
Brahms 8 Hungarian Dances
Brahms piano concerto 1 Kempff
Brahms piano concerto 2 Backhaus
Brahms violin concerto
Brahms double concerto
Bruckner Symphony 4
Bruckner Symphony 9
Chopin piano conc. 1
Chopin piano conc. 2 Malcuzynski
Debussy Images
Delibes Coppelia/Sylvia highlights
Dvorak Symphony 6
Dvorak Symphony 7, 8, 9
Dvorak celloconcerto
Elgar Pomp & Circumstance
Elgar cello concerto du Pré, Barbirolli (EMI)
Falla Three-cornered Hat suite
Franck Symphony
Grieg Peer Gynt (selection)
Haydn Paris symphonies
Haydn trumpet concerto
Holst The Planets
Janacek Sinfonietta
Khatchaturian Gayaneh suite
Kodaly Hary Janos suite
Liszt pianoconc. 1 and 2
Mahler Symphony 1
Mahler Symphony 2
Mahler Symphony 3
Mahler Symphony 4
Mahler Symphony 5
Mahler Symphony 9
Mahler Lieder
Mahler Lied von der Erde
Mahler Des Knaben Wunderhorn
Mendelssohn Symphony 3 and 4
Mozart Symphony 40
Mozart Symphony 41
Mozart piano concerti
Mozart violin concerti
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet suites
Prokofiev piano concerto 3 Kätchen
Rachmaninov piano concerto 2 Rubinstein
Rachmaninov piano concerto 3 Malcuzynski
Ravel Daphnis et Chloé
Ravel piano concerto Michelangeli
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade
Rimsky-Korsakov Golden Cockerel suite
Rossini overtures
Saint-Saëns Symphony 3
Saint-Saëns pianoconc. 2 Rubinstein
Saint-Saëns . pianoconc. 4 Brailowsky
Schubert Symphony 8 Toscanini
Schubert Symphony 9
Schubert Die schöne Müllerin
Shostakovich Symphony 5
Shostakovich violin concerto 1
Sibelius Symphony 2
Sibelius Symphony 5
Sibelius violin concerto Heifetz
Stravinsky Sacre du printemps
Stravinsky Petrouchka
Stravinsky violin concerto
Stravinsky Pulcinella
Tchaikovsky Symphony 2
Tchaikovsky Symphony 4
Tchaikovsky Symphony 5
Tchaikovsky Symphony 6 Mravinsky
Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker
Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini
Verdi Requiem de Sabata/Schwarzkopf
Wagner overtures etc
I have a few of the recordings you've mentioned. But we have only one "imprinting" in common.
Precious Roy
2019-08-12 19:41:45 UTC
Isn’t this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of imprinting— these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on them, not because you “luckily” hit upon good ones
Frank Berger
2019-08-12 20:30:31 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
Isn’t this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of imprinting— these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on them, not because you “luckily” hit upon good ones
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off. I have only a
few recordings I consider imprinted on me. Prokofiev's violin sonata,
op. 94a with Perlman and Ashkenazy (yes, I have Oistrakh/Yampolsky and
Wilkormirska/Schein and plenty of others), Beethoven 9 with Isserstedt,
Turandot Highlights with Mehta, Sutherland, Pavarotti and Caballe.
These are all inarguably fine performances, but the last imprint I'll
mention is generally panned. That's Bernstein's final concert with
Britten's 4 Sea Interludes and Beethoven 7. I love that disc. Can't
help it.
2019-08-12 20:58:34 UTC
Isn¹t this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of
imprinting‹ these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on them,
not because you ³luckily² hit upon good ones
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off. I have only a
few recordings I consider imprinted on me. Prokofiev's violin sonata,
op. 94a with Perlman and Ashkenazy (yes, I have Oistrakh/Yampolsky and
Wilkormirska/Schein and plenty of others), Beethoven 9 with Isserstedt,
Turandot Highlights with Mehta, Sutherland, Pavarotti and Caballe.
These are all inarguably fine performances, but the last imprint I'll
mention is generally panned. That's Bernstein's final concert with
Britten's 4 Sea Interludes and Beethoven 7. I love that disc. Can't
help it.
A few years ago, I revisited many of my imprints and was impressed by
my impeccable taste and wise discrimination...until I remembered I
spent most of my college years in the library reading reviews in High
Fidelity and Stereo Review, and listening to classical radio and
writing down what I liked, plus reading RMCR (formerly RMC) way back in
the early 1980's and acting on some of the reviews written here. So, I
can't really take credit for the sagacity of my choices, but I do thank
a lot of other people for them.

-Owen, and yes, I did purchase a couple of Hatto discs! (didn't imprint
on me, though!)
Gerard
2019-08-12 22:26:59 UTC
Post by O
Post by Frank Berger
Isnąt this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of
imprinting‹ these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on them,
not because you łluckily˛ hit upon good ones
Right. I also found a kind of guide in the form of a magazine with reviews, many of them proved to be quite reliable. Listening to radio (and taping many concerts) also helped at making choices re what to buy.
Gerard
2019-08-12 22:35:59 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
Isn’t this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of imprinting— these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on them, not because you “luckily” hit upon good ones
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off.
I think that you're right.
At first (when the imprinting was still there with full effect) other recordings could sound 'strange' of 'wrong'. But that is only temporarily. Sooner or later one learns to appreciate - or maybe even prefer - other performances and ways of playing that same notes, and that also can become a very interesting path of discoveries.
2019-08-13 00:31:26 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Isn¹t this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of
imprinting‹ these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on
them, not because you ³luckily² hit upon good ones
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off.
I think that you're right.
At first (when the imprinting was still there with full effect) other
recordings could sound 'strange' of 'wrong'. But that is only temporarily.
Sooner or later one learns to appreciate - or maybe even prefer - other
performances and ways of playing that same notes, and that also can become a
very interesting path of discoveries.
It might make an interesting challenge thread for people who found a
version that surpassed their imprint, and named both the imprint and
its better.

-Owen
Todd Michel McComb
2019-08-13 00:35:04 UTC
Post by O
It might make an interesting challenge thread for people who found
a version that surpassed their imprint, and named both the imprint
and its better.
Most of my imprints are from classical radio -- back when that was
a thing, even in semi-rural areas -- as a small child, and so I
have no idea what they actually are. It would be interesting to
know, although the effect must (or so I imagine) be quite blunted
by now.
number_six
2019-08-13 02:07:47 UTC
Post by O
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Isnąt this thread actually avoiding the implications of the concept of
imprinting‹ these recordings hold up for you because you imprinted on
them, not because you łluckily˛ hit upon good ones
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off.
I think that you're right.
At first (when the imprinting was still there with full effect) other
recordings could sound 'strange' of 'wrong'. But that is only temporarily.
Sooner or later one learns to appreciate - or maybe even prefer - other
performances and ways of playing that same notes, and that also can become a
very interesting path of discoveries.
It might make an interesting challenge thread for people who found a
version that surpassed their imprint, and named both the imprint and
its better.
-Owen
Here's one example for me --

Chopin A flat major Polonaise -- imprint was Entremont
I still love him and in fact I just bought the 34 CD Sony box
But Brailowsky later became -- and remains -- my favorite for this work
Gerard
2019-08-13 11:29:36 UTC
Post by O
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
[...]
That's an interesting 'question' indeed.
Below I have listed a few recordings from my original list together with "better" alternatives I've acquired later. In some cases more than one "better" alternative could be mentioned, but I will not do so too often ;-)
In some other cases the choice between the imprinted recording and later recordings is very hard to make. In some other cases the alternatives are too many.
I have mentioned only alternative (newer) recordings that are remarkably "better" (really preferred). But it is all rather arbitrary. Preferences can change every day ;-)

Bartok Concerto for orchestra Solti, LSO (Decca) / Ivan Fischer (Philips)
Beethoven Symphony 2 Klemperer (EMI) / Monteux (EMI, live)
Beethoven Symphony 3 Karajan (EMI) / Savall
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique Paray (Mercury) / Davis (CGO, Philips) / Jansons (BR Klassik)
Brahms Symphony 4 Karajan (DG) / Kleiber (DG)
Bruckner Symphony 4 Klemperer (EMI) / Böhm (Decca)
Bruckner Symphony 9 Jochum (DG) / Giulini (DG)
Chopin piano conc. 1 and 2 Weissenberg, Skrowaczewski (EMI) / Zimerman, Zimerman (DG)
Debussy Images Cluytens (EMI) / Haitink (Philips)
Falla Three-cornered Hat suite Maazel (DG) / Ansermet (Decca)
Franck Symphony Maazel (DG) / Monteux (RCA)
Grieg Peer Gynt (selection) Barbirolli (EMI) / Paavo Järvi (Virgin)
Haydn Paris symphonies Ansermet (Decca) / Bernstein (CBS) / Brüggen (Philips)
Holst The Planets Karajan (Decca) / Boult (EMI) / Dutoit (Decca)
Mahler Symphony 1 Walter (CBS) / Kondrashin (EMI) / Bernstein (DG)
Mahler Symphony 4 Kletzki (EMI) / Haitink, Alexander (Philips) / Ivan Fischer (Channel Classics)
Rimsky-Korsakov Golden Cockerel suite Markevitch (DG) / Zinman (Philips / Serov (Kontrapunkt)
Saint-Saëns Symphony 3 Mehta (Decca) / Munch (RCA) / Fremaux (EMI)
Saint-Saëns pianoconc. 2 and 4 Entremont, Ormandy (CBS) / Collard, Previn (EMI)
Shostakovich Symphony 5 Kondrashin (Melodiya) / Previn (RCA) / Sanderling (Berlin)
Stravinsky Sacre du printemps Markevitch (EMI) / Boulez (CBS) / Gergiev (Philips)
Stravinsky Petrouchka Ivanov (Melodiya) / Stravinsky (CBS)
Stravinsky violin concerto Oistrach, Haitink (Philips) / Kopatchinskaja, Jurowski (naïve)
Stravinsky Pulcinella Ansermet (Decca) / Abbado (DG)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 2 Giulini (EMI) / Rozhdestvensky (alto)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 Fricsay (DG) / Szell (Decca)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 5 Fricsay (DG) / Mravinsky (DG) / Previn (Telarc)
Tchaikovsky Symphony 6 Giulini (EMI) / Mravinsky (DG) / Fricsay (DG)
Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings Barbirolli (EMI) / Marriner (Decca) / Zhislin (Orchid Classics)
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker Previn (EMI) / Dorati, CGO (Philips) / Gergiev (Philips)
HT
2019-08-13 13:58:26 UTC
Post by O
It might make an interesting challenge thread for people who found a
version that surpassed their imprint, and named both the imprint and
its better.
I haven't found better ones (must be a conservative at heart). However, there are other versions (in the piano pieces more than one) at least as interesting as the imprints.

Henk
HT
2019-08-13 09:09:17 UTC
I have a theory that the more knowledgeable one is, the more experienced
in listening, whatever, the less important imprinting is. (I don't mean
to suggest that's rocket science). Certainly the more you listen to
non-imprint recordings the more the imprint wears off.
Imprints aren't perhaps important anymore. But somehow I'm still looking, for example, for Rubinstein's big round tone in the opening bars of Rachmaninoff's PC2. If that is absent, as in (one of) Ashkenazy's version(s), it isn't the "real" Rachmaninoff PC2 anymore and I've to adjust.

2019-08-12 22:19:06 UTC
No, these recordings do not hold up for me because I imprinted on them. Of all mentioned works I have several (or many) other recordings. The whole effect of 'imprinting' gradually disappeared out of my listening life. But some nostalgia remained, nostalgia about that period of discovery where these recordings were something like direct hits.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-12 22:02:26 UTC
Post by Gerard
[...]
OK these were the ones I imprinted on - has nothing to do with their perceived critical quality''

Gilbert and Sullivan - the early 50s Martyn Green sets on Richmond
Gotterdammerung - Solti
Lucia - Sutherlands first recording
Salome - Nilsson on London
Turandot - Nilsson Leinsdorf on RCA (still have that album and it has gone around the world with me)
Beethoven 5 - Bernstein
Beethoven 9 - Schmidt-Isserstedt
Rosenkavalier - highlights LP with Schwarzkopf
Schone Mullerin - Fischer-Dieskau 1961 with Moore
Brahms Violin Concerto - Monteux Szering on a Victrola LP
Francesca da Rimini - 1950 Cetra set
Frau ohne Schatten - Bohm Decca on Richmond LPs
Rheingold/Walkure hilights - Solti on a London LP
Fidelio - Nilsson on London
Masters of the Baroque - Mace LP with Ingrid Haebler von der Marburg
Flagstad Wagner and Brahms - Seraphim LP
Great German Songs Vol 1- Hotter Seraphim LP
Wolf recital - Schwarzkopf Furtwangler Seraphim LP
Schubert 9 - Furtwangler Berlin 1951
Romeo and Juliet - Maazel Cleveland
Gerard
2019-08-12 22:28:55 UTC
OK, also here only one in common. ;-)
number_six
2019-08-13 02:24:41 UTC
Good post, Gerard. Here are a very few of mine --

Bach Cantata 78 Prohaska
Beethoven Symphony 6 Schmidt-Isserstedt
Beethoven Symphony 5 Bohm
Chopin waltz c# minor - Bolet
Dvorak Slavonic Dances - Kubelik
Khachaturian Gayaneh suite - Kurtz
Ravel Daphnis et Chloé Boulez
Schubert Die schöne Müllerin DFD
Bob Harper
2019-08-13 05:14:16 UTC
A very short list from me:
Beethoven 5, Erich Kleiber/VPO from a Richmond LP bought in Vienna (!)
in 1968.
Bruckner 9, Furtwangler/BPO, a Heliodor mono LP bought in Munich the
same summer.
Franck Symphony, Monteux/CSO, a mono copy in my father's record collection.
Mussorgsky/Ravel, Kubelik/CSO, Mercury MG 50000 my father purchased at
the Chicago Audio Show in 1951 (?).

2019-08-13 15:18:20 UTC
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a bad recording of Bloch's Four Episodes. But when i imagine the music, it is as played by Izler Solomon and the Knickerbocker Chamber Players.

Hanson's recording of McPhee's Tabuh-Tabuhan is probably an imprint, but I haven't sought out others to compare with it.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-14 14:08:08 UTC
Post by number_six
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a bad recording of Bloch's Four Episodes. But when i imagine the music, it is as played by Izler Solomon and the Knickerbocker Chamber Players.
Understandable, and it's not as if recordings of Four Episodes are thick on the ground (Claude Torres lists only 7 complete, and the 4 that I know are all good). Solomon's premiere recording of the Concerto Grosso #2 with the MGM Chamber Orchestra is a keeper as well. My imprint recording of the two Concerti Grossi was Hanson/ERO. Serviceable in its day (and lots of folks' first encounter with the music) but long since superseded, imo.

2019-08-14 17:23:32 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by number_six
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a bad recording of Bloch's Four Episodes. But when i imagine the music, it is as played by Izler Solomon and the Knickerbocker Chamber Players.
Understandable, and it's not as if recordings of Four Episodes are thick on the ground (Claude Torres lists only 7 complete, and the 4 that I know are all good). Solomon's premiere recording of the Concerto Grosso #2 with the MGM Chamber Orchestra is a keeper as well. My imprint recording of the two Concerti Grossi was Hanson/ERO. Serviceable in its day (and lots of folks' first encounter with the music) but long since superseded, imo.
AC
Kubelik/Chicago for #1. What else do you recommend?
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-14 19:36:04 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by number_six
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a bad recording of Bloch's Four Episodes. But when i imagine the music, it is as played by Izler Solomon and the Knickerbocker Chamber Players.
Understandable, and it's not as if recordings of Four Episodes are thick on the ground (Claude Torres lists only 7 complete, and the 4 that I know are all good). Solomon's premiere recording of the Concerto Grosso #2 with the MGM Chamber Orchestra is a keeper as well. My imprint recording of the two Concerti Grossi was Hanson/ERO. Serviceable in its day (and lots of folks' first encounter with the music) but long since superseded, imo.
AC
Kubelik/Chicago for #1. What else do you recommend?
I understand the cachet associated with Kubelik/CSO/Mercury, but their Bloch sounds bloated and enervated to me. Even Hanson is better despite dry and boxy sound. The two best recordings I know including both ##1 and 2 are Kritiansand/Gimse/Stigmer (Intim Musik) and Barra/San Diego CO (Koch). The Kristiansand recording has great performances in excellent sound plus a splendid coupling in the form of Hindemith's Four Temperaments. Gimse is a terrific pianist who should be much better known. Barra's Bloch is excellent (as are all of the lamented SDCO's recordings); the coupling is a nice but relatively insubstantial piece by Quincy Porter. In the next tier I'd place Atlas (ASV) and Duczmal (CPO). Atlas is always reliable in Bloch; Duczmal is beautifully played but I find some of the pacing too leisurely.

If you're not averse to historicals, you may be as astonished as I was by the quality of the 1929 premiere recording of #1 by Fabien Sevitzky and The Philadelphia Chamber String Simfonietta (the last word is not a typo). I guess you might think of the orchestra as a distant precursor to Brusilow's Chamber Symphony of Philadelphia. The Sevitzky recording is available from Pristine: https://www.pristineclassical.com/collections/artist-fabien-sevitzky/products/pasc375. (Izler Solomon's premiere recording of #2 was recommended earlier in this thread and I seconded the recommendation.)

Probably TMI, but these works are great favorites of mine,

2019-08-14 19:48:48 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by number_six
[...]
I appreciate the reply. I'm embarrassed to say I already own the
Kristiansand and Barra disks. Will listen (again?). Too much music and
not enough time.
Not a Dentist
2019-08-14 21:03:13 UTC

Thanks for the guidance through the thicket of recordings for Bloch, esp. CG #1. In a close reading of the booklet for the Kristiansand recording, by the way, I have discovered that Mr. Gimse is NOT the soloist except for the Hindemith. There is an orchestral pianist listed and given specific credit for the obligato in CG #1: Solveig Refvik.
Frank Berger
2019-08-14 21:26:21 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
The two best recordings I know including both ##1 and 2 are Kritiansand/Gimse/Stigmer (Intim Musik) and Barra/San Diego CO (Koch). The Kristiansand recording has great performances in excellent sound plus a splendid coupling in the form of Hindemith's Four Temperaments. Gimse is a terrific pianist who should be much better known.
Thanks for the guidance through the thicket of recordings for Bloch, esp. CG #1. In a close reading of the booklet for the Kristiansand recording, by the way, I have discovered that Mr. Gimse is NOT the soloist except for the Hindemith. There is an orchestral pianist listed and given specific credit for the obligato in CG #1: Solveig Refvik.
Interesting to us anal types. I could find no piano credit for the
Hanson nor the Balkanyi recordings.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-14 23:10:41 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
The two best recordings I know including both ##1 and 2 are Kritiansand/Gimse/Stigmer (Intim Musik) and Barra/San Diego CO (Koch). The Kristiansand recording has great performances in excellent sound plus a splendid coupling in the form of Hindemith's Four Temperaments. Gimse is a terrific pianist who should be much better known.
Thanks for the guidance through the thicket of recordings for Bloch, esp. CG #1. In a close reading of the booklet for the Kristiansand recording, by the way, I have discovered that Mr. Gimse is NOT the soloist except for the Hindemith. There is an orchestral pianist listed and given specific credit for the obligato in CG #1: Solveig Refvik.
For all the times that I've listened to and recommended that recording, I never paid attention to the different pianists. Thanks for pointing out my error! I hope you're enjoying the Bloch. I'm trying to remember whose recording of Four Temperaments introduced me to the work. Aller/Concert Arts Orchestra/Slatkin probably. Still excellent.

2019-08-15 01:24:51 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
I have not heard Kristiansand but agree SD CO is very good.

There's another one in my queue I have not heard yet, an ensemble from Bern on MGB label.
Not a Dentist
2019-08-15 05:38:36 UTC
Interested parties may wish to know that the SD Chamber Orchestra recording of the Bloch CGs (and several others on the Koch label by those artists) are available for streaming on the Amazon Music website. In some cases, recordings which do NOT appear on the main Amazon pages will show up in response to an artist search on the streaming player. These are then available via iPhone with the appropriate app.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-15 11:46:24 UTC
Post by Not a Dentist
Interested parties may wish to know that the SD Chamber Orchestra recording of the Bloch CGs (and several others on the Koch label by those artists) are available for streaming on the Amazon Music website. In some cases, recordings which do NOT appear on the main Amazon pages will show up in response to an artist search on the streaming player. These are then available via iPhone with the appropriate app.
Thanks for the info. Three of the Barra/SDCO CDs, including the Bloch, were reissued by ArkivCD (also an excellent Barber disc and a Russian anthology). Used copies tend to be available for reasonable prices as well. All are worth having, imo.

2019-08-15 20:55:25 UTC
In keeping with modern parlance, this sub-thread can be known as the "Bloch chain".
Bozo
2019-08-13 13:19:21 UTC
When I recently found information about a reissue of the recording of Rimsky's Sheherazade by Igor >Markevitch, I realized that I have been quite "lucky" regarding 'imprinting versions' of a lot of >masterpieces of classical music. Recordings I still remember, and I still consider most of them to be top >recordings. Some are really unforgettable.
Bartok Concerto for orchestra
Beethoven Symphony 1 and 8
Beethoven Symphony 2
Beethoven Symphony 3
Beethoven Symphony 4, 6, 9
Beethoven Symphony 5
Beethoven Symphony 7 Toscanini/NBC
Beethoven piano concerto 4 Schnabel
Beethoven piano concerto 5 Rubinstein/Krips
Beethoven violin concerto Heifetz/Munch
Beethoven sonata 23
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Bizet Arlésienne suites
Borodin Symphony 2
Brahms Symphony 1
Brahms Symphony 2
Brahms Symphony 4
Brahms 8 Hungarian Dances
Brahms piano concerto 1 Rubinstein/Reiner
Brahms piano concerto 2 Gilels/Reiner
Brahms violin concerto
Brahms double concerto
Bruckner Symphony 4
Bruckner Symphony 9
Chopin piano conc. 1 and 2 Rubinstein
Debussy Images
[...]
Mozart piano concerti Rubinstein,Casadesus in K.467
Mozart violin concerti
Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet suites
Prokofiev piano concerto 3 Prokofieff
Rachmaninov piano concerto 2 Rubinstein
Rachmaninov piano concerto 3 Cliburn
Ravel Daphnis et Chloé
Ravel piano concerto
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade
Rimsky-Korsakov Golden Cockerel suite
Rossini overtures
Saint-Saëns Symphony 3
Saint-Saëns pianoconc. 2 and 4 Gilels/Kondrashin #2,Casadesus/Szell # 4
Schubert Symphony 8
Schubert Symphony 9
Schubert Die schöne Müllerin
Shostakovich Symphony 5 Bernstein
Shostakovich violin concerto 1 Vengerov
Sibelius Symphony 2 Ormandy
Sibelius Symphony 5 Bernstein/VPO
Sibelius violin concerto Heifetz/Beecham
Stravinsky Sacre du printemps
Stravinsky Petrouchka
Stravinsky violin concerto
Stravinsky Pulcinella
Tchaikovsky Symphony 2
Tchaikovsky Symphony 4
Tchaikovsky Symphony 5
Tchaikovsky Symphony 6
Tchaikovsky Serenade for strings
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker
Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini
Verdi Requiem
Wagner overtures etc
Bach keyboard : Gould
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-13 14:03:22 UTC
I'm really enjoying this thread! Like Henk, I'll post a few of my own alongside Gerard's. And as Gerard said, the "imprint" versions are rarely subsequent or current favorites. Usually I acquired them on a catch-as-catch-can basis or simply because they were the cheapest (or only) available options. I'll asterisk the ones that I still like very much, and I'm grateful to most of them for exposing me to the music. A subsequent thread might take up initial recordings that put you off a piece of music until you realized from further listening that the problem was with the performance rather than the music.
Bartok Concerto for orchestra Solti, LSO (Decca) [Leinsdorf/BSO]
Beethoven Symphony 1 Monteux (RCA) [*Szell/CO]
Beethoven Symphony 2 Klemperer (EMI)
Beethoven Symphony 3 Karajan (EMI) [Steinberg/PSO, Command]
Beethoven Symphony 5 Szell (Philips) [Munch/BSO]
Beethoven Symphony 7 Karajan (DG) [Monteux]
Beethoven piano concerto 5 Cliburn, Reiner (RCA) [*Katz/Barbirolli]
Beethoven violin concerto Francescatti, Walter (CBS) [*Ditto]
Beethoven sonata 23 Richter (RCA) [*Ditto]
Borodin Symphony 2 Martinon (Decca) [*Ansermet/OSR]
Brahms Symphony 4 Karajan (DG) [Keilberth/Telefunken]
Brahms 8 Hungarian Dances Karajan (DG) [Lehel/Parliament]
Brahms piano concerto 2 Ashkenazy, Mehta (Decca) [*Serkin/Ormandy]
Brahms violin concerto Oistrach, Klemperer (EMI) [*Heifetz/Reiner]
Brahms double concerto Schneiderhan, Starker, Fricsay[*Heifetz/Piatigorsky]
Chopin piano conc. 1 Weissenberg, Skrowaczewski [*Graffman/Munch]
Debussy Images Cluytens (EMI) [*Cantelli]
Dvorak celloconcerto Rostropovich, Boult (EMI) [Starker/Dorati]
Grieg Peer Gynt (selection) Barbirolli (EMI) [Ditto]
Haydn Paris symphonies Ansermet (Decca) [*Bernstein]
Haydn trumpet concerto Longinotti, Ansermet [Wobisch, unfortunately]
Janacek Sinfonietta Ancerl (Supraphon) [*Ditto, but Parliament]
Khatchaturian Gayaneh suite Rozhdestvensky (DG) [Golschmann]
Kodaly Hary Janos suite Fricsay (DG) [*Kempe/Munich]
Liszt pianoconc. 1 and 2 Richter, Kondrashin (Philips) [*Ditto]
Mahler Symphony 1 Walter (CBS) [*Horenstein]
Mahler Symphony 2 Solti (Decca) [*Scherchen]
Mahler Symphony 3 Bernstein (CBS) [*Adler]
Mahler Symphony 4 Kletzki (EMI) [*Van Beinum]
Mahler Symphony 5 Bernstein (CBS) [Neumann]
Mahler Symphony 9 Haitink (Philips) [*Horenstein]
Mendelssohn Symphony 3 Abbado (Decca) [Golschmann]
Mozart Symphony 41 Karajan (Decca) [L/ Ludwig/NDR Hamburg]
Prokofiev piano concerto 3 Argerich, Abbado (DG) [*Prokofiev]
Rachmaninov piano concerto 2 Ashkenazy, Kondrashin [*Sandor/Rodzinski]
Rachmaninov piano concerto 3 Moguilevsky, Kondrashin [*Cliburn/Kondrashin]
Ravel piano concerto Argerich, Abbado (DG) [*Michelangeli/Gracis]
Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade Markevitch (Philips)
Saint-Saëns Symphony 3 Mehta (Decca) [Munch]
Saint-Saëns pianoconc. 2 and 4 Entremont, Ormandy (CBS) [*Darré/Fourestier]
Schubert Symphony 8 Karajan (DG) [Munch/BSO]
Shostakovich Symphony 5 Kondrashin (Melodiya) [*M. Shostakovich]
Shostakovich violin concerto 1 Oistrach, Mravinsky [*Ditto, Monitor]
Sibelius violin concerto Oistrach, Rozh [*Heifetz/Hendl]
Stravinsky Sacre du printemps Markevitch (EMI) [*Stravinsky]
Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 Fricsay (DG) [Monteux]
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker Previn (EMI) [*Rodzinski]
2019-08-13 14:08:10 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
Whoops, I meant to put in *Ansermet/OSR for Scheherazade. And Golschmann is for Mendelssohn *4*, not 3. The latter would be *Maag, like many others here, I suspect.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/tmlUkgFnK3M
Gerard
2019-08-14 20:28:23 UTC
I forgot a few, like these 2:

Glinka Valse-Fantasie Fistoulari (EMI?)
Rimsky-Korsakov Mlada: Procession of the Nobles Fistoulari (EMI?)

Unsurpassed. No one comes close. Every later recording is somehow a kind of disappointment.
Happily now on Guild: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/russian-concert-favourties/9200000011908715/
number_six
2019-08-15 20:58:12 UTC
Post by Gerard
Glinka Valse-Fantasie Fistoulari (EMI?)
Rimsky-Korsakov Mlada: Procession of the Nobles Fistoulari (EMI?)
Unsurpassed. No one comes close. Every later recording is somehow a kind of disappointment.
Happily now on Guild: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/russian-concert-favourties/9200000011908715/
Fistoulari was great.

For me, he is second in command to Kurtz for the Gayeneh Suites...
Frank Berger
2019-08-15 21:06:08 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Gerard
Glinka Valse-Fantasie Fistoulari (EMI?)
Rimsky-Korsakov Mlada: Procession of the Nobles Fistoulari (EMI?)
Unsurpassed. No one comes close. Every later recording is somehow a kind of disappointment.
Happily now on Guild: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/russian-concert-favourties/9200000011908715/
Fistoulari was great.
For me, he is second in command to Kurtz for the Gayeneh Suites...
Sorry if this was mentioned. Several Eloquence release came out this
year featuring Fistoulari.
number_six
2019-08-15 22:29:02 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Gerard
Glinka Valse-Fantasie Fistoulari (EMI?)
Rimsky-Korsakov Mlada: Procession of the Nobles Fistoulari (EMI?)
Unsurpassed. No one comes close. Every later recording is somehow a kind of disappointment.
Happily now on Guild: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/russian-concert-favourties/9200000011908715/
Fistoulari was great.
For me, he is second in command to Kurtz for the Gayeneh Suites...
Sorry if this was mentioned. Several Eloquence release came out this
year featuring Fistoulari.
thanks Frank, I'll browse what's available

n***@gmail.com
2019-08-15 14:03:16 UTC
Post by Gerard
Of course the list is arbitrary, and nothing special - just standard repertoire. These are only a few recordings I remember being "imprinting versions"; it is not a list of "best recordings".
Is there a minimal number of times one must hear a recording causing it to 'imprint'? IOW can recording can imprint following a single listen?

I have only one recording that perhaps might be described as having imprinted itself. However I've listened to it thousands of times to test my audio system. I have no other recording capable of performing this task nearly as well as it: Bishop Kovacevich/Davis, Mozart K. 467 (Philips). It doesn't imply that I don't own recordings that I can enjoy as well or even better than it.
Bob Harper
2019-08-15 18:10:35 UTC
Post by Gerard
Of course the list is arbitrary, and nothing special - just standard repertoire. These are only a few recordings I remember being "imprinting versions"; it is not a list of "best recordings".
Is there a minimal number of times one must hear a recording causing it to 'imprint'? IOW can recording can imprint following a single listen?
I have only one recording that perhaps might be described as having imprinted itself. However I've listened to it thousands of times to test my audio system. I have no other recording capable of performing this task nearly as well as it: Bishop Kovacevich/Davis, Mozart K. 467 (Philips). It doesn't imply that I don't own recordings that I can enjoy as well or even better than it.
I'm curious to know how it is that this recording tests your audio
system. Mind you, I don't doubt it, just want to know why you find it so
apt for that purpose.