"This is probably Davis' best Beethoven symphony recording..."
Add Reply
greg lee
2013-04-14 22:21:14 UTC
Do you have any other recommendations?:

http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Recordings-Sir-Colin-Davis/dp/B008I1572E/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_3
3Bs
2013-04-14 23:22:58 UTC
http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Recordings-Sir-Colin-Davis/dp/B008I1572E/r...
the concertos
m***@gmail.com
2013-04-19 20:40:16 UTC
His RCO Haydn is quite enjoyable, too.

I'm not much a Davis fan, so these surprised me.
William Sommerwerck
2013-04-19 22:16:21 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
His RCO Haydn is quite enjoyable, too.
I'm not much a Davis fan, so these surprised me.
I recently listened to them (the 12 London symphonies). They're lively,
heads-up performances that anyone should enjoy. They're available on two
Philips Duo sets.
Gerard
Are Philips sets still available?
Randy Lane
Yes
Randy Lane
2013-04-20 12:58:24 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
His RCO Haydn is quite enjoyable, too.
I'm not much a Davis fan, so these surprised me.
I recently listened to them (the 12 London symphonies). They're
lively, heads-up performances that anyone should enjoy. They're
available on two Philips Duo sets.
Are Philips sets still available?
Yes
Here are Amazon links:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000041AQ

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000041AR
wade
I always considered them really good big band Haydn.
John Wiser
2013-05-01 15:48:18 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000041AR
I always considered them really good big band Haydn.
Amen. Consider also:

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonies-Oxford-Sir-Colin-Davis/dp/B00000E2N6

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Symphonies-Beethoven-Symphony-Hybrid/dp/B0007RUT8E

jdw
Herman
2013-04-15 01:04:36 UTC
I wouldn't necessarily go to Davis for his Beethoven, but rather for his Berlioz, Sibelius, Stravinsky or other stuff.
Oscar
2013-04-15 02:13:00 UTC
I just bought last week Davis's 1995/96 Schubert Symphonies cycle w/ Staatskapelle Dresden on RCA Red Seal. Some very refined playing, but after auditions of 2, 4, 5, and 9, I'm calling it a non-starter. No vim no verve, just four-square, by-the-numbers 'traditional big band' interpretations. But again, the playing is great, as is the recorded sound. A real let-down.
r***@gmail.com
2013-04-15 03:33:36 UTC
The Schubert 9th symphony Davis did with the BSO for Philips is one of the best- with all repeats. The RPO Beethoven 7th has always been well regarded, but I have not warmed to it.
Terry
2013-04-16 06:41:59 UTC
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:21:14 +1000, greg lee wrote
(in article
http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Recordings-Sir-Colin-
Davis/dp/B008I1572E/ref=cm_src
Post by greg lee
h_res_rtr_3
A very fine Sibelian. He recorded them all, at least three times. Some people
favour one set, others prefer alternative versions. But all are very, very
fine, actually.

His recordings of Berlioz' two symphonies are as good as any, in my opinion.

His recordings of the Dvorak symphonies with the Concertgebouw are very good
too.
--
Cheers!

Terry
Ray Hall
2013-04-16 09:28:36 UTC
Post by Terry
A very fine Sibelian. He recorded them all, at least three times. Some people
favour one set, others prefer alternative versions. But all are very, very
fine, actually.
His recordings of Berlioz' two symphonies are as good as any, in my opinion.
His recordings of the Dvorak symphonies with the Concertgebouw are very good
too.
Don't forget a very good Haydn London series on two Duos. I first met
Colin Davis on record (LP) through his Stravinsky, the Symphony in C and
the Symphony in 3 Movements.

2013-04-16 10:28:33 UTC
Post by Ray Hall
Post by Terry
A very fine Sibelian. He recorded them all, at least three times.
Some people favour one set, others prefer alternative versions. But
all are very, very fine, actually.
His recordings of Berlioz' two symphonies are as good as any, in my opinion.
His recordings of the Dvorak symphonies with the Concertgebouw are
very good too.
Don't forget a very good Haydn London series on two Duos. I first met
Colin Davis on record (LP) through his Stravinsky, the Symphony in C
and the Symphony in 3 Movements.
Ray Hall, Taree
His recordings of Stravinsky's major works (Rite, Petruchka, Firebird - all with
the Concertgebouw Orchestra) maybe are even greater.
Once I had a LP with Dumbarton Oaks and other "smaller" stuff (did that ever
appear on CD?) - probably never surpassed.
Christopher Webber
2013-04-16 10:31:08 UTC
Post by Gerard
Once I had a LP with Dumbarton Oaks and other "smaller" stuff (did that ever
appear on CD?) - probably never surpassed.
It did - I ran down a copy at some expense last year, as I'd missed its
special qualities too (especially the matchless performance of "Cantata"
with Sandy Young and Pat Kern).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dumbarton-Oaks-Stravinsky/dp/B00000E44B/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1366108248&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=dumbarton+oaks+cantata
Gerard

You are fast! ;-)
Christopher Webber
2013-04-16 10:42:14 UTC
Post by Gerard
Wow!
You are fast!
I am today! Tomorrow I go into St Thomas's Hospital here in London for a
heart "procedure" so may well be out of the loop for a while. I note
that they're stopping Big Ben (directly across the river from the
hospital) tomorrow morning - presumably in my honour, as nothing much
else is going on.
Herman
2013-04-16 11:09:20 UTC
Best wishes with that!
wagnerfan
Recover soon and get back to health!!!!! Wagner fan
David Fox
2013-04-16 16:13:06 UTC
Post by Christopher Webber
Post by Gerard
Wow!
You are fast!
I am today! Tomorrow I go into St Thomas's Hospital here in London for a
heart "procedure" so may well be out of the loop for a while. I note
that they're stopping Big Ben (directly across the river from the
hospital) tomorrow morning - presumably in my honour, as nothing much
else is going on.
Be well! I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to your return.

DF
2013-04-16 16:46:21 UTC
Post by David Fox
Post by Christopher Webber
Post by Gerard
Wow!
You are fast!
I am today! Tomorrow I go into St Thomas's Hospital here in London for a
heart "procedure" so may well be out of the loop for a while. I note
that they're stopping Big Ben (directly across the river from the
hospital) tomorrow morning - presumably in my honour, as nothing much
else is going on.
Be well! I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to your return.
Likewise. Good luck with that. I'm the beneficiary of an amazing
procedure that has helped me tremendously. I hope you get the same.

-Owen
M forever
What procedure was that, O? Lobotomy?
Gerard
Best wishes.
Christopher Webber
2013-04-16 17:39:36 UTC
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes - I'm sure I'll be back
arguing with you all very soon. I've a good man doing my ablation: Dr
Wright, who by definition cannot be All Wrong.

2013-04-16 18:02:58 UTC
Get well soon, Mr. Webber!
D***@aol.com
2013-04-16 21:01:30 UTC
Post by Christopher Webber
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes - I'm sure I'll be back
arguing with you all very soon. I've a good man doing my ablation: Dr
Wright, who by definition cannot be All Wrong.
I add my best wishes to everyone's. I had my little heart operation in spring 2007 and have been fine since. I think it's now down to a fine science. I suspect that you'll be up and around in a couple of days. With which I add my wishes to everyone's that you be back soon, Christopher.

Don Tait
Oscar
2013-04-16 21:17:33 UTC
  I add my best wishes to everyone's. I had my little heart
operation in spring 2007 and have been fine since.  I think
it's now down to a fine science. I suspect that you'll be up
and around in a couple of days. With which I add my wishes to
everyone's that you be back soon, Christopher.
Indeed.

My grandfather has had two heart surgeries, one in the late 1970's and
a major bypass operation in 1993. Had Scarlet Fever as a child in the
late 1920's, which damaged his heart valves. What a trouper. We just
celebrated his 92nd birthday a few weeks ago. He just started using a
cane but otherwise totally mobile, on his feet and sharp as a tack.
This guy does not want to go!
Roland van Gaalen
2013-04-16 21:27:23 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
Post by Christopher Webber
Thank you, everyone, for your good wishes - I'm sure I'll be back
arguing with you all very soon. I've a good man doing my ablation: Dr
Wright, who by definition cannot be All Wrong.
I add my best wishes to everyone's. I had my little heart operation in spring 2007
and have been fine since. I think it's now down to a fine science. I suspect that you'll be up
and around in a couple of days. With which I add my wishes to everyone's that you be back
soon, Christopher.
Very good to read that; and also my best wishes to Christopher.

Roland van Gaalen
Cape Town
Christopher Webber
2013-04-19 08:17:43 UTC
Don, and all of you - thank you very much. I am back home now, a little
bruised and bloodied (though probably no worse than after a robust
discussion on rmcr) and Dr Wright was pleased with his work. So I hope
it will make a good difference.

Told to think of "something pleasant" going under the anaesthetic, I
concentrated on hearing some Handel Chandos Anthems in the Royal Naval
College Chapel here in Greenwich, but I came round 5 hours later trying
to sing "Voyons, Manon, plus de chimères, Où va ton esprit en rêvant?".
Where that came from, goodness only knows!

So a couple more days easy time, and then back to some light DVD
reviewing for Opera Mag. (The Barcelona "Giulio Cesare" on Arthaus next up).
2013-04-19 13:26:50 UTC
Post by Christopher Webber
Don, and all of you - thank you very much. I am back home now, a little
bruised and bloodied (though probably no worse than after a robust
discussion on rmcr) and Dr Wright was pleased with his work. So I hope
it will make a good difference.
Told to think of "something pleasant" going under the anaesthetic, I
concentrated on hearing some Handel Chandos Anthems in the Royal Naval
College Chapel here in Greenwich, but I came round 5 hours later trying
to sing "Voyons, Manon, plus de chimères, Où va ton esprit en rêvant?".
Where that came from, goodness only knows!
So a couple more days easy time, and then back to some light DVD
reviewing for Opera Mag. (The Barcelona "Giulio Cesare" on Arthaus next up).
Glad to hear you made it through. I had similar surgery in 2010, and
it was a life changer (for the better) for me.

There was no opera singing for me, though. I didn't want anything to
re-open that nasty incision in the groin area.

-Owen
Christopher Webber
2013-04-16 10:29:31 UTC
His Berlioz and Tippett for me. Played his 1st "Romeo et Juliette"
yesterday, plus Act 2 of "The Knot Garden" (the greatest of T's operas,
and conducted with wondrous dynamism and dramatic know-how. Very amused
and moved by it, as ever.)
greg lee
2013-04-18 11:03:55 UTC
(in article
Post by greg lee
h_res_rtr_3
A very fine Sibelian. He recorded them all, at least three times. Some people
favour one set, others prefer alternative versions. But all are very, very
fine, actually.
The following reviewer said:

- The performances are lively and extremely attentive.

http://books.google.com/books?id=TMQF9tRD8zEC&pg=PA700&dq=%22The+performances+are+lively+and+extremely+attentive.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hdJvUaKoFOS7iwLZ44DICg&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20performances%20are%20lively%20and%20extremely%20attentive.%22&f=false
Roland van Gaalen
2013-04-16 10:42:36 UTC
The Beethoven Piano Concerto #5 with Arrau is impressive:

Roland van Gaalen
Cape Town
td
2013-04-16 10:58:55 UTC
Post by Roland van Gaalen
http://youtu.be/CqenJBZXANw
Roland van Gaalen
Cape Town
Indeed. One of the best Emperors ever.

TD
Randy Lane
2013-04-16 17:10:15 UTC
Post by Roland van Gaalen
http://youtu.be/CqenJBZXANw
Roland van Gaalen
Cape Town
I do hope the Philips/Decca set with Arrau will see a reissue soon. Has benn OOP for quite some time and is far too costly used.
Norman Schwartz
2013-04-16 19:09:53 UTC
K.467 with Stephen Bishop Kovacevich (Philips)
David Royko
2013-04-16 20:34:27 UTC
It was his 2LP set on Angel of Messiaen's Turrangalila Symphony that introduced me to the work, and it remains a piece and recording that I love. Actually, I listen more often these days to his live Chicago SO broadcast performance from the same time period (mid'70s).

Dave Royko
http://www.davidroyko.com is Dave Royko's site for info about:
The book, Royko In Love: Mike's Letters to Carol (UofCPress);
The book, Voices of Children of Divorce (St. Martin's Press);
Music reviews & features (Chgo Trib, etc.); Ben stories (Autism);
CSO "From The Archives" index; Music Ramblings; and plenty of Etc.
jrsnfld
2013-04-16 22:26:11 UTC
Post by David Royko
It was his 2LP set on Angel of Messiaen's Turrangalila Symphony that introduced me to the work, and it remains a piece and recording that I love. Actually, I listen more often these days to his live Chicago SO broadcast performance from the same time period (mid'70s).
Seiji Davis?

--Jeff
David Royko
2013-04-17 01:08:27 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by David Royko
It was his 2LP set on Angel of Messiaen's Turrangalila Symphony that introduced me to the work, and it remains a piece and recording that I love. Actually, I listen more often these days to his live Chicago SO broadcast performance from the same time period (mid'70s).
Seiji Davis?
--Jeff
I actually like Previn's more than Ozawa's RCA, but hairs are usually
split when I start down the road of Turrangalilas.

jrsnfld
2013-04-17 03:17:18 UTC
Post by David Royko
Post by jrsnfld
Post by David Royko
It was his 2LP set on Angel of Messiaen's Turrangalila Symphony that introduced me to the work, and it remains a piece and recording that I love. Actually, I listen more often these days to his live Chicago SO broadcast performance from the same time period (mid'70s).
Seiji Davis?
--Jeff
I actually like Previn's more than Ozawa's RCA, but hairs are usually
split when I start down the road of Turrangalilas.
I'm not a big fan of Turangalila--I think I first heard it on a Mehta/
CSO broadcast (do remember such a performance, probably in the 80s?).
I haven't heard either Andre Davis or Seiji Davis, so I can't hold
forth on either of those recordings.

--Jeff
greg lee
2013-04-18 10:14:03 UTC
http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Recordings-Sir-Colin-Davis/dp/B008I1572E/r...
According to the following:

- In conductor Sir Colin Davis's rendering, Britten's ocean is a vast,
heaving, relentlessly uncontrollable force, cruel, random, and
unforgiving.

http://www.1000recordings.com/music/peter-grimes/
gggg gggg
2021-04-01 01:36:23 UTC
Post by greg lee
http://www.amazon.com/Icon-Recordings-Sir-Colin-Davis/dp/B008I1572E/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_3
(Recent Youtube upload):

Review: The Colin Davis Beethoven Odyssey (Decca Eloquence)