Otello makeup
Add Reply
s***@nycap.rr.com
2019-10-04 11:49:16 UTC
Do singers portraying Otello wear "blackface" makeup (if they're white) when they play him on stage? Has that practice stopped or does it still happen? What about singers who play Monostatos in Die Zauberflote? Just wondering. I believe I read somewhere that this practice has been slowly going out of fashion.

MIFrost
r***@gmail.com
2019-10-05 09:37:07 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
Do singers portraying Otello wear "blackface" makeup (if they're white) when they play him on stage? Has that practice stopped or does it still happen? What about singers who play Monostatos in Die Zauberflote? Just wondering. I believe I read somewhere that this practice has been slowly going out of fashion.
MIFrost
I never quite understood why they did in the first place. Otello is a Moor: an Arab, not from the interior of the continent. Still, I'm not going to argue with tradition or NYState law.