Xenakis...
Add Reply
Todd Michel McComb
2021-02-15 17:52:54 UTC
If anyone here does have an interest in this music....

A brief critical, or personal, introduction to the late music of
Iannis Xenakis

http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/xen0.html

... in which e.g. I discuss a small selection of highlighted
works.
Néstor Castiglione
Thanks a lot! Will read this through later today. Love Xenakis; he's one of my favorites.
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-03-08 03:09:38 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
Post by Todd Michel McComb
If anyone here does have an interest in this music....
A brief critical, or personal, introduction to the late music of
Iannis Xenakis
http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/xen0.html
... in which e.g. I discuss a small selection of highlighted
works.
Thanks a lot! Will read this through later today. Love Xenakis; he's one of my favorites.
I like his percussion music very much.

Ray Hall, Taree
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-07 17:44:40 UTC
And now...

Scelsi: A new survey, continuities & reflections
http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/scelsi/survey2020.html

... in which I update another 30 year-old discussion, 15k words.
Néstor Castiglione
Todd, I'm looking forward to reading this. Your mini-site on Scelsi, too, is a fantastic resource. Grateful to have found it!
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-07 23:43:41 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
Todd, I'm looking forward to reading this. Your mini-site on Scelsi,
too, is a fantastic resource. Grateful to have found it!
These Scelsi conversations actually started over in rec.music.classical
(before this group split off).... So it's a project that began in
this general space.
cdc
2021-03-25 15:24:21 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Xenakis
listen to the first seconds of the cluster:

Xenakis, Metastaseis (1955):

Mahler, Symphony n.10 (*1910*):

cdc
2021-03-27 19:36:08 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Xenakis
I did not understand what the difference is between "Lichens" and
"Lichens I". Why first?
I recently heard him present on the radio as "Lichens I".

In any case it is a wonderful composition.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-28 01:01:25 UTC
Post by cdc
I did not understand what the difference is between "Lichens" and
"Lichens I". Why first?
I recently heard him present on the radio as "Lichens I".
There is only the one piece listed at the Xenakis Association....
Probably a mistake by the radio.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-08 00:26:03 UTC
Finally, Milton Babbitt:

http://www.medieval.org/music/modern/babbitt.html

... less available to hear in this case.