Erich Kleiber Complete Polydors
Add Reply
drh8h
2021-01-08 17:44:02 UTC
I received an email from Eloquence showing this as a future release. No date, of course. Hoping Mark Obert-Thorn is involved.

Also, Demessieux, Maag, Boult, Anthony Collins, and Markevitch boxes in the works.

Dennis
Randy Lane
2021-01-08 17:47:37 UTC
Yahoo - especially Markevitch and Maag.
Mark Obert-Thorn
2021-01-08 19:18:26 UTC
Post by drh8h
I received an email from Eloquence showing this as a future release. No date, of course. Hoping Mark Obert-Thorn is involved.
Also, Demessieux, Maag, Boult, Anthony Collins, and Markevitch boxes in the works.
Yes, the Kleiber set is one of my projects. I also contributed transfers to the Demessieux and Collins boxes.

Mark O-T
Invocation
2021-01-08 20:50:17 UTC
Eloquence did not reveal the details of the Collins box. Is it a box of his complete Decca recordings?
Mark Obert-Thorn
2021-01-09 00:54:14 UTC
Post by Invocation
Eloquence did not reveal the details of the Collins box. Is it a box of his complete Decca recordings?
I just confirmed with Cyrus Meher-Homji that it will indeed be his complete Deccas.

Mark O-T
Invocation
2021-01-09 00:56:36 UTC
Thanks! That's great to know!
Mark O-T
fomalhaut
2021-01-12 16:06:50 UTC
The Kleiber Box is most important and deeply awaited.
I am still using my poor 78 transfers of Berlioz's Oveture to the Roman Carnival and Schubert's Unfinished both recorded Polydor circa 1928.
fomalhaut
drh8h
2021-01-13 13:39:43 UTC
Post by fomalhaut
The Kleiber Box is most important and deeply awaited.
I am still using my poor 78 transfers of Berlioz's Oveture to the Roman Carnival and Schubert's Unfinished both recorded Polydor circa 1928.
fomalhaut
I am hoping for small miracles here. I have those two recordings also, plus the William Tell Overture, and the sound and pressings seem way below other DGs I have heard from the period.

Dennis
Randy Lane
2021-02-02 23:25:29 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by fomalhaut
The Kleiber Box is most important and deeply awaited.
I am still using my poor 78 transfers of Berlioz's Oveture to the Roman Carnival and Schubert's Unfinished both recorded Polydor circa 1928.
fomalhaut
I am hoping for small miracles here. I have those two recordings also, plus the William Tell Overture, and the sound and pressings seem way below other DGs I have heard from the period.
Dennis
The Maag is due in March

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Maag/dp/B08TZDYLW6/
Frank Berger
https://www.importcds.com/the-peter-maag-edition/028948414857
John Fowler
2021-03-03 21:51:28 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Post by drh8h
Post by fomalhaut
The Kleiber Box is most important and deeply awaited.
I am still using my poor 78 transfers of Berlioz's Oveture to the Roman Carnival and Schubert's Unfinished both recorded Polydor circa 1928.
fomalhaut
I am hoping for small miracles here. I have those two recordings also, plus the William Tell Overture, and the sound and pressings seem way below other DGs I have heard from the period.
Dennis
The Maag is due in March
https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Maag/dp/B08TZDYLW6/
https://www.importcds.com/the-peter-maag-edition/028948414857
The Peter Maag Eloquence box arrived from Import CDs yesterday.
Very nice 20 CD original jacket collection with 40 page booklet.
The jackets have generalized track listings on the back (more detailed listings in the booklet)
I wish Eloquence would follow Sony's example and print the original jacket notes on the back of the cardboard CD jacket.
Instead, each LP release gets approx. one paragraph in the booklet.

I didn't mind this except for one work: the only recording of Fernando Paer's 1804 Italian opera "Leonora" (Beethoven was familiar with Paer's opera).
This originally occupied 3 LPs and Eloquence issued it on 2 CDs in 2013, when it came with a 60 page booklet containing a synopsis, libretto and translation, and program notes by Maag.
For such an unfamiliar work, you need all the help you can get.
The synopsis is very close to Beethoven's Leonore/Fidelio, so you can probably follow the action, but an Italian libretto with English translation is a Godsend.
The Eloquence 2CD set is the cheapest and most practical way to acquire the libretto/translation if you don't mind the duplication, and there is room in the new box for the old booklet.
https://www.amazon.com/Pa%C3%ABr-Leonora-ossia-Lamore-coniugale/dp/B00B2M7DHS/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leonora&qid=1614807801&s=music&sr=1-2

You also don't get a libretto/synopsis for Verdi's "Luisa Miller" with Caballe and Pavarotti (Decca 1975) or the 1966 DG Wagner recital by heldentenor-wannabe Ticho Parly, but these are easier to find.
fomalhaut
2021-03-06 08:42:53 UTC
Info regarding Maag's box are acknowledged but what about the Erich Kleiber's Box ?
Any info about the release date ?

fomalhaut
gggg gggg
2021-03-07 08:40:57 UTC
Post by drh8h
I received an email from Eloquence showing this as a future release. No date, of course. Hoping Mark Obert-Thorn is involved.
Also, Demessieux, Maag, Boult, Anthony Collins, and Markevitch boxes in the works.
Dennis
In April, there will be radio programs featuring E.K.:

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
Randy Lane
2021-03-20 01:38:20 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by drh8h
I received an email from Eloquence showing this as a future release. No date, of course. Hoping Mark Obert-Thorn is involved.
Also, Demessieux, Maag, Boult, Anthony Collins, and Markevitch boxes in the works.
Dennis
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
YouTube announcement of the set came out today

John Fowler
2021-04-02 01:29:40 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Post by gggg gggg
Post by drh8h
I received an email from Eloquence showing this as a future release. No date, of course. Hoping Mark Obert-Thorn is involved.
Also, Demessieux, Maag, Boult, Anthony Collins, and Markevitch boxes in the works.
Dennis
https://www.wfmt.com/programs/collectors-corner-with-henry-fogel/
YouTube announcement of the set came out today
http://youtu.be/1H7cVoRP1M4
Erich Kleiber Polydors - release date April 16
$17.35 (3 CDs) at ImportCDs:
https://www.importcds.com/the-complete-polydor-78s/028948420490
fomalhaut
2021-04-02 07:02:52 UTC
Amazon France is advising that the set is "temporily out of stock".
fomalhaut
Frank Berger
2021-04-02 11:43:28 UTC
The release date is April 16. Of course it's "out of stock."
drh8h
2021-04-02 11:48:22 UTC
Post by fomalhaut
Amazon France is advising that the set is "temporily out of stock".
fomalhaut
The release date is April 16. Of course it's "out of stock."
Every release date these days needs to be taken with a large block of Sodium Chloride. Amazon US still shows the Rodzinski box as released today. Also show it as available since September 24.

DH
Frank Berger
True, but besides the point.
Frank Berger
2021-04-02 13:07:39 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by fomalhaut
Amazon France is advising that the set is "temporily out of stock".
fomalhaut
The release date is April 16. Of course it's "out of stock."
Every release date these days needs to be taken with a large block of Sodium Chloride. Amazon US still shows the Rodzinski box as released today. Also show it as available since September 24.
DH
Presto now shows 4/23 for the Rodzinski.