Arthur Gold and Robert Fizdale
Add Reply
henrysibley
2019-06-28 23:20:42 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_and_Fizdale

Are any of their recordings in print? Thanks!

Hank
drh8h
2019-06-29 00:11:03 UTC
Post by henrysibley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_and_Fizdale
Are any of their recordings in print? Thanks!
Hank
The big Stravinsky box Sony issued in 2015 has their record of two pianist music by him. I think a G & F box would be a nice present from Sony. I have not heard very many of their recordings, but in the 60s I recall many critics rated them at the top of the piano-uo field when the competitors were Vronsky and Babin.

Dennis
JohnA
Columbia ML 4854, "1900-1952 Music for 2 Pianos" is in the Sony Erik Satie & Friends box. Their Mendelssohn 2-Pianos Concertos were also available at one time in a 2 disc CBS Odyssey set and in the Sony Mendelssohn Complete Masterpieces box. The Poulenc 2-Pianos Concerto, Bartok 2-Pianos Concerto & the Mozart 2-Pianos Concerto & 3=Pianos Concertos (with Bernstein on the 3rd piano) is available in the Bernstein Concertos & Orchestral works box (the Poulenc is in the recent Previn box as well, as its coupling was a Shostakovich concerto with Previn).
JohnA
henrysibley
2019-06-29 03:11:29 UTC
Post by JohnA
Post by drh8h
Post by henrysibley
[...]
Thank You for the info!

Columbia SL-198 from 1954 looks very interesting, several works unknown to me:

https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Gold-And-Robert-Fizdale-1900-1952-Music-For-2-Pianos/release/3074025

Hank
Frank Berger
2019-09-20 16:54:48 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by henrysibley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_and_Fizdale
Are any of their recordings in print? Thanks!
Hank
The big Stravinsky box Sony issued in 2015 has their record of two pianist music by him. I think a G & F box would be a nice present from Sony. I have not heard very many of their recordings, but in the 60s I recall many critics rated them at the top of the piano-uo field when the competitors were Vronsky and Babin.
Dennis
The only CD with them I remember was with Bernstein conducting Mozart's
concertos for two and three pianos. I think it was one of the few CD's I
ever actually culled. IIRC, I really hated K365, but K242 was better.
But I could me misremembering. There are a couple of these on sale at
Ebay. MY impression was that Vronsky & Babin were better, but I could
easily be wrong.
c***@gmail.com
2019-09-20 18:55:28 UTC
There's a better K. 365 with Rosbaud from Baden Baden available on Symphonyshare. A fine Brahms/Bizet pairing was issued on Odyssey LP and transferred here, but alas, the link is dead: http://randomclassics.blogspot.com/2010/04/two-pianos-are-better-than-one.html. I spent an interesting few minutes skimming the contents of the G&F archive at Juilliard. How about this dedication to them from Luciano Berio: "To Bobby and Arthur with corny affection." :-) The duo commissioned and performed many 20th-century works, as exemplified by this collection: https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Gold-And-Robert-Fizdale-Gold-And-Fizdale-1900-1952-Music-For-2-Pianos/release/3074025. Worthy of official reissue, but in the meantime I think that it is available on Spotify and also here: https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NS%201025.

2019-09-20 21:13:45 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by drh8h
Post by henrysibley
[...]
AC
In looking for their recordings, I discovered they wrote together a
well-reviewed biography of Sarah Bernhardt. I hesitated to buy it when
read that a lot about her early life was discovered after their book was
written and their treatment of her early life may be largely fictional.
Anyway, this led me to read the Wikipedia entry for her and I was
surprised, shocked even, to discover I knew virtually nothing about her.
What a life!

Mr. Mike
2019-06-30 03:25:17 UTC
Speaking of Gold & Fizdale:

Also of interest:

2019-07-01 00:50:14 UTC
Post by henrysibley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_and_Fizdale
Are any of their recordings in print? Thanks!
Hank
They wrote a fine cookbook, which you can find in out-of-print sites like abe.com.