What is your favorite Grimaud CD?
indie
2005-07-01 07:58:43 UTC
I have to say my favorite Grimaud recording is the Credo CD, which
was the first Grimaud CD I bought. When I saw the CD on display, I
had no idea who she was at the time. She looked intriguing on the
cover however... like she had not eaten for days and her clothes, at
least from a distance, looked like something a WWII refugee would
wear.

The programme of the CD turned out to be very refershing. For the
first time in a long time, classical music seemed not like some
dusty remanant of the past but very alive and exciting and new.
Opening and closing the CD with works of the 20th century that are
both challenging and listenable was a great achievement. I don't
know how she ever discovered those works, but kudos to her for doing
so and her playing is full of life in both pieces. A lot of people
dislike the Choral Fantasy as simple-minded bombast, but I find it
to be quite rousing and her playing was exhilerating. The Tempest
Sonata I have particuar fondness for, having actually even memorized
the 3rd movement at one time, but I did not find the Tempest didn't
move me as the other three pieces on the CD did.

Overall, the CD was a daring move on her part and it certainly
worked as far as I am concerned!
taro
2005-07-01 08:05:13 UTC
My favorite is Brahms Piano Concerto No.1 with Sanderling,
originally on Erato.

-- taro
Alex
2005-07-01 09:18:26 UTC
Post by indie
[...]
The Credo CD is pretty good, but to be honest the one I enjoy the most is
her second recording of the Rach 2 on Teldec with Ashkenazy conducting. The
Brahms 1 with Sanderling is fine also, as is the Third Sonata on Denon (very
impulsive). I didn't like her version of the Schumann Concerto, which I
found rather stiff. I haven't herard her recent Rachmaninov/Chopin CD.
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-07-01 14:30:27 UTC
[...]
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks* are
the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Dave Cook
2005-07-01 18:36:26 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks* are
the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
I have to say that the cover of some of those Denon CDs always stopped me
dead in my tracks for several seconds while flipping thru the bins, but I
never did buy any of them.

Dave Cook
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-07-01 19:04:27 UTC
Post by Dave Cook
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks*
are the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
I have to say that the cover of some of those Denon CDs always stopped
me dead in my tracks for several seconds while flipping thru the bins,
but I never did buy any of them.
Yeah, like music lovers are always distracted or turned on by pictures of
Lovro von Matacic, or of the Suk Trio.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Alan Cooper
2005-07-01 19:59:14 UTC
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:04:27 GMT, "Matthew B. Tepper"
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Dave Cook
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks*
are the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
I have to say that the cover of some of those Denon CDs always stopped
me dead in my tracks for several seconds while flipping thru the bins,
but I never did buy any of them.
Yeah, like music lovers are always distracted or turned on by pictures of
Lovro von Matacic, or of the Suk Trio.
Matacic, no; the Suk Trio, definitely.

AC
indie
2005-07-02 03:11:01 UTC
I did not buy the Credo CD on the grounds that I thought Grimaud was
attractive - I do not think she looks attractive on the CD cover - she looks
close to anorexic. But I was at Westwood Tower Records, and the Credo CD was
prominently displayed and Deutsche Gramaphon is slick in their packaging and
I was looking for something, anything, to buy because I felt like buying
something at the time. I was pleasantly surprsied when I did listen to the
CD.

WHen it comes to slickness, I don't think any classical company beats DG.
AC
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-07-02 15:56:12 UTC
Post by indie
I did not buy the Credo CD on the grounds that I thought Grimaud was
attractive - I do not think she looks attractive on the CD cover - she
looks close to anorexic. But I was at Westwood Tower Records, and the
Credo CD was prominently displayed and Deutsche Gramaphon is slick in
their packaging and I was looking for something, anything, to buy
because I felt like buying something at the time. I was pleasantly
surprsied when I did listen to the CD.
The fact that something is so prominently displayer (and/or pushed in the
press, as though review copies were distributed like business cards) often
is reason enough for me to be suspicious of a release. As it is, I bought
this because I found it cheap, and I think it's OK and a bit interesting.
But I was much more impressed by another interesting mischmosch I bought in
the same purchase, a Beethoven/Schumann CD by Jonathan Biss.
Post by indie
WHen it comes to slickness, I don't think any classical company beats DG.
Not even Sony?
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Dan Koren
2005-07-03 07:54:17 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by indie
WHen it comes to slickness, I don't think any
classical company beats DG.
Not even Sony?
Not even close.

dk
Vaneyes
2005-07-02 04:18:05 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks* are
the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
But there would've been no harm done with just one cover-shot of ASM in
garter-belt, stockings, spiked heels, riding crop.

Regards
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-07-02 15:56:12 UTC
Post by Vaneyes
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks*
are the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
But there would've been no harm done with just one cover-shot of ASM in
garter-belt, stockings, spiked heels, riding crop.
Well, I admit I *did* like a publicity shot of her that DGG issued some years
ago where she was in an artist's studio, and was wearing street clothes
including tight blue jeans, leaving no doubt that her backside is nicely
rounded. This didn't cause me to want to buy more of her recordings, though.
Take THAT, Daniel Lin, Mark Sadek, James Lin & Christopher Chung!
Vaneyes
2005-07-02 20:22:50 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Vaneyes
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks*
are the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
But there would've been no harm done with just one cover-shot of ASM in
garter-belt, stockings, spiked heels, riding crop.
Well, I admit I *did* like a publicity shot of her that DGG issued some years
ago where she was in an artist's studio, and was wearing street clothes
including tight blue jeans, leaving no doubt that her backside is nicely
rounded. This didn't cause me to want to buy more of her recordings, though.
Yeah, I recall her becoming quite agitated at some reporters questions
about that cover. Her PR people hadn't prepped her (or she has no
humor) for the ensuing firestorm. heh heh

Regards
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-07-03 12:06:03 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Vaneyes
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks*
are the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
But there would've been no harm done with just one cover-shot of ASM in
garter-belt, stockings, spiked heels, riding crop.
Well, I admit I *did* like a publicity shot of her that DGG issued some years
ago where she was in an artist's studio, and was wearing street clothes
including tight blue jeans, leaving no doubt that her backside is nicely
rounded. This didn't cause me to want to buy more of her recordings, though.
Helene Grimaud is among a handful of attractive classical music
performers, but of course there is little point in buying CDs just
because of that, as one can look at Helene Grimaud photographs all day
long if one wants without buying any of her CDs.
--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a cross-roads. One
path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total
extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."

Woody Allen (Side Effects)
Dan Koren
2005-07-03 19:46:04 UTC
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
Helene Grimaud is among a handful of attractive classical music
performers, but of course there is little point in buying CDs just because
of that, as one can look at Helene Grimaud photographs all day long if one
wants without buying any of her CDs.
However, that would not allow
one to pretend one is listening.

dk
Owen Hartnett
2005-07-03 20:16:55 UTC
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
Helene Grimaud is among a handful of attractive classical music
performers, but of course there is little point in buying CDs just
because of that, as one can look at Helene Grimaud photographs all day
long if one wants without buying any of her CDs.
If you look at Helene Grimaud photographs while listening to recordings
of Rachmaninov at the piano, does she appear to take on his facial
features?

-Owen, who has been looking too much at his own pictures while
listening to Helfgott.
Dan Koren
2005-07-03 21:30:19 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by Nicolai P. Zwar
Helene Grimaud is among a handful of attractive classical music
performers, but of course there is little point in buying CDs just
because of that, as one can look at Helene Grimaud photographs all day
long if one wants without buying any of her CDs.
If you look at Helene Grimaud photographs while listening to recordings
of Rachmaninov at the piano, does she appear to take on his facial
features?
Try Weissenberg. He does a
much better impersonation.

dk
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-07-03 11:55:23 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
People who buy a classical CD on the basis of how the performer *looks* are
the baa-ing sheep who feed the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons.
Most performers of classical music (notable exceptions aside) don't have
much to offer in the looks department, so there's not much point in
selecting CDs according to their looks. Better to get the swimsuit
edition of Sports Illustrated along with your new Brendel disc.

Woody Allen (Side Effects)
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-07-03 15:28:57 UTC
Dan Koren
2005-07-02 04:00:47 UTC
Post by indie
[...]
a) Helene Grimaud's best CD was her debut CD on Denon
featuring Rachmaninov's 2nd sonata and a selection
of Etudes-Tableaux. Everything that followed was a
clear downhill course.

b) You need new ears.

dk
indie
2005-07-02 05:00:49 UTC
Perhaps I am taking comment "b)" below too personally, but it is
fascinating how easy it to be self-righteous on the Usenet.

As Col. Kurtz might say: "The pomposity, the pomposity [dying breath
exhale]."
dk
Dan Koren
2005-07-02 05:16:02 UTC
Post by indie
Perhaps I am taking comment "b)" below too personally,
You shouldn't. Just get yourself new ears (and new eyes).
Post by indie
but it is fascinating how easy it to be self-righteous
on the Usenet.
I wouldn't hesitate to tell the same things face to face.

In fact, I would greatly enjoy it, and would appreciate
an opportunity to do so.

dk
dk
a***@att.net
2005-07-04 01:11:34 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
a) Helene Grimaud's best CD was her debut CD on Denon
featuring Rachmaninov's 2nd sonata and a selection
of Etudes-Tableaux. Everything that followed was a
clear downhill course.
dk
dk is right. The first CD has some wonderful playing, but subsequent
CDs were disappointing.
Heard her in recital in NYC a number of years ago.... not very good,
lots of noise and banging

AB

Vaneyes
2005-07-02 04:11:39 UTC
I guess it'd be my only Grimaud CD...

http://tinyurl.com/87pmm

Regards
Nicolai P. Zwar
2005-07-03 11:58:41 UTC
I have not heard enough of Grimaud's output to select favorites, but I
do like the Credo CD on Deutsche Grammophon and her recording of
Rachmaninov's 2 piano concerto on Teldec with Ashkenazy conducting.