Salamon Jadassohn
Add Reply
Alan Cooper
2020-11-16 18:12:05 UTC
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Jadassohn. I had heard his name before, but never any of his music until WQXR played his Symphony #1 this afternoon. Well performed, from a CPO set of four symphonies and a couple of additional works (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8060756--jadassohn-symphonies-nos-1-4). Nice sub-Schumann with touches of Mendelssohn, and definitely recommendable to anyone who likes Volkmann or Reinecke as I do (within limits). Since I'm more inclined towards chamber music , I think I'll d/l the issue of Jadassohn's three Piano Trios on Toccata (also listed at BRO), favorably reviewed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/Jadassohn_TOCC0107.htm.

For the curious....

2020-11-16 20:46:41 UTC
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Jadassohn. I had heard his name before,
but never any of his music until WQXR played his Symphony #1 this afternoon. Well
performed, from a CPO set of four symphonies and a couple of additional works
(https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8060756--jadassohn-symphonies-nos-1-4).
Nice sub-Schumann with touches of Mendelssohn, and definitely recommendable to anyone
who likes Volkmann or Reinecke as I do (within limits). Since I'm more inclined towards
chamber music , I think I'll d/l the issue of Jadassohn's three Piano Trios on Toccata
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/Jadassohn_TOCC0107.htm.
For the curious....
AC
http://youtu.be/i0HCHgUitto
http://youtu.be/JSiaHPO3_14
http://youtu.be/huxVQK3wsHU
http://youtu.be/Xvcy_LFxjJc
Enjoy!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Jadassohn
dk

Alan Cooper
2020-11-16 21:04:16 UTC
Post by Alan Cooper
Post by dk
[...]
http://youtu.be/Zpur1ckZT9A
Thanks for taking the time to provide the links, Dan. There's some lovely music here, pleasant and diverting without being particularly memorable, but that's OK. Definitely puts Reinecke, Volkmann, and their ilk in mind. I found the piano concerti rather turgid, but that's characteristic of the period, and I wallow occasionally in Hyperion's seemingly endless stream of Romantic PCs.

Best wishes, Alan
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-11-17 02:40:51 UTC
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 10:12:05 -0800 (PST), Alan Cooper
Post by Alan Cooper
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Jadassohn. I had heard his name before, but never any of his music until WQXR played his Symphony #1 this afternoon. Well performed, from a CPO set of four symphonies and a couple of additional works (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8060756--jadassohn-symphonies-nos-1-4). Nice sub-Schumann with touches of Mendelssohn, and definitely recommendable to anyone who likes Volkmann or Reinecke as I do (within limits). Since I'm more inclined towards chamber music , I think I'll d/l the issue of Jadassohn's three Piano Trios on Toccata (also listed at BRO), favorably reviewed here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Oct10/Jadassohn_TOCC0107.htm.
For the curious....
AC
Spotify has the 4 symphonies, 4 piano trios, piano quartet and
quintet. Amazon reviews were positive. So I added them to my list.
Thanks for the tip.