Desert Island Discs Archives
Add Reply
Kerrison
2011-04-05 10:13:12 UTC
The BBC radio programme Desert Island Discs has been mentioned here
before but now they've started to put details of all the programmes,
from the 1940s onwards, on-line. Eventually they hope to have as many
broadcasts available to listen to or download.

You can tap in the name of anyone you hope might have been sent to the
desert island in the 'Find Castaways' search field and see the
recordings they chose. Conductors included Beecham, Boult and
Stokowski; pianists included Arrau, Moiseiwitsch and Rubinstein;
singers included Pavarotti, Sutherland and Caballe; violinists
included Menuhin, Stern and Szeryng; composers included Copland, Bliss
and Maxwell Davies; and so on. Those are just a few random names
plucked out of the air from nearly 3000 broadcasts ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway
ivanmaxim
Now thats a treasure trove. Wagner fan
Christopher Webber
2011-04-05 10:29:25 UTC
Post by ivanmaxim
Now thats a treasure trove.
Fascinating. Seven castaways even chose Bax (3 Fands and 4 Tintagels) of
whom the least likely was Spike Milligan! Didn't know about Michael
Powell's enthusiasm for Arnold either.

Ron Grainer and Vernon Handley both made their Bax First Choice.
--
___________________________
Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK.
http://www.zarzuela.net
ivanmaxim
2011-04-05 12:01:25 UTC
Post by Christopher Webber
Post by ivanmaxim
Now thats a treasure trove.
Fascinating. Seven castaways even chose Bax (3 Fands and 4 Tintagels) of
whom the least likely was Spike Milligan! Didn't know about Michael
Powell's enthusiasm for Arnold either.
Ron Grainer and Vernon Handley both made their Bax First Choice.
--
___________________________
Christopher Webber,  Blackheath, London,  UK.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Webberhttp://www.zarzuela.net
Hey I met Quincy Jones at the Bayreuth Festival so you can never
tell... Wagner fan
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-04-05 14:35:13 UTC
ivanmaxim <***@gmail.com> appears to have caused the following letters
to be typed in news:9271a76f-ac40-4bc2-a129-
Hey I met Quincy Jones at the Bayreuth Festival so you can never tell...
Wagner fan
Maybe he was hoping to get pointers first-hand on how Sir Georg Solti was
able to win more Grammy Awards than he was?
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
ivanmaxim
2011-04-05 15:11:40 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
to be typed in news:9271a76f-ac40-4bc2-a129-
Hey I met Quincy Jones at the Bayreuth Festival so you can never tell...
Wagner fan
Maybe he was hoping to get pointers first-hand on how Sir Georg Solti was
able to win more Grammy Awards than he was?
--
Matthew B. Tepper:  WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!
Hmmm I don't think it was at that Festival Wagner fan
Nigel Curtis
2011-04-11 13:45:12 UTC
... and horn player Alan Civil wanting his reading to be the score of
Stockhausen's Gruppen !
M forever
2011-04-11 21:43:18 UTC
Post by Kerrison
The BBC radio programme Desert Island Discs has been mentioned here
before but now they've started to put details of all the programmes,
from the 1940s onwards, on-line. Eventually they hope to have as many
broadcasts available to listen to or download.
You can tap in the name of anyone you hope might have been sent to the
desert island in the 'Find Castaways' search field and see the
recordings they chose. Conductors included Beecham, Boult and
Stokowski; pianists included Arrau, Moiseiwitsch and Rubinstein;
singers included Pavarotti, Sutherland and Caballe; violinists
included Menuhin, Stern and Szeryng; composers included Copland, Bliss
and Maxwell Davies; and so on. Those are just a few random names
plucked out of the air from nearly 3000 broadcasts ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway
I love this choice by castaway Colin Davis:

Igor Stravinsky
Gloria (from Mass)
Choir: St Anthony Singers
Orchestra: English Chamber Orchestra
Conductor: Colin Davis

Interesting: Solti chose two recordings by Karajan.

Bernard Haitink named a recording of Le Nozze di Figaro by Carlos
Kleiber. But is there one?
2011-04-11 21:51:15 UTC
In article
Post by M forever
Post by Kerrison
[...]
From the cast list (Gueden and Lisa Della Casa) he must be referring to
Erich Kleiber.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Nozze-Figaro-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B00000JXZB

-Owen
Dil
2011-04-12 01:52:34 UTC
Post by O
In article
Post by M forever
Post by Kerrison
[...]
From the cast list (Gueden and Lisa Della Casa) he must be referring to
Erich Kleiber.
Also, I think Solti (or the editor) is referring to Furtwangler's
Tristan that is attributed to Karajan.

Dil.
Steve de Mena
2011-04-11 23:45:20 UTC
Post by M forever
Bernard Haitink named a recording of Le Nozze di Figaro by Carlos
Kleiber. But is there one?
I'm sure he meant Erich Kleiber. One of Mehta's choices is the Bach
Mass in B minor, conducted by Sviatoslav Richter with the Munich Bach
Orchestra.

Steve
g***@gmail.com

JANET BAKER's BBC Interview : What would your "desert island" discs be?
g***@gmail.com

Elly Ameling: BBC: Desert Island Discs: 1985
Andy Evans
2020-10-28 08:57:45 UTC
Who was the castaway that wanted scores instead of discs? Probably a conductor?
Kerrison
2020-10-28 23:20:19 UTC
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.

Leopold Stokowski ...

Jorge Bolet ...

Artur Rubinstein

Andre Previn ...

Luciano Pavarotti ...

Clifford Curzon...

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf ...

Montserrat Caballe ...

etc. etc.

The BBC's own website ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr/episodes/player
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-10-28 23:50:50 UTC
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads

There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.

I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.

2020-10-29 02:38:31 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads
There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.
I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.
Ray Hall, Taree
Just carry a satphone and
watch YouTube. CDs are so
passé!

dk
Kerrison
2020-10-29 12:28:32 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads
There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.
I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.
Ray Hall, Taree
This link takes you to 2,280 programmes but wading through all those nonentities to find the interesting ones could be a hard slog ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr/episodes/player
Al Eisner
2020-11-01 23:21:22 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads
There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.
I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.
Ray Hall, Taree
This link takes you to 2,280 programmes but wading through all those nonentities to find the interesting ones could be a hard slog ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr/episodes/player
A more-easily-browsable version of the episode list is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Desert_Island_Discs_episodes_(1991%E2%80%932000)
Presumably one can spot classical musicians or reviewer or whoever.
Click on "more info" to et a link to the episode,
2021-01-06 07:50:37 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads
There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.
I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.
Ray Hall, Taree
This link takes you to 2,280 programmes but wading through all those nonentities to find the interesting ones could be a hard slog ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr/episodes/player
What speakers does the BBC recommend for desert islands?

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 08:32:58 UTC
What speakers does the BBC recommend for desert islands?
Many English studios use B&W...

For me, the best speakers are self-amplified speakers connected to a
very good preamplifier...
I have never listened to better speakers than the Brigantin de Cabasse
('1970), connected to electronics of the same brand ... Fabulous ....
dk
2021-01-06 08:52:41 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
What speakers does the BBC recommend for desert islands?
Many English studios use B&W...
For me, the best speakers are self-amplified speakers connected to a
very good preamplifier...
I have never listened to better speakers than the Brigantin de Cabasse
('1970), connected to electronics of the same brand ... Fabulous ....
Cabasse doesn't usually make it to this side of the pond. One of
our friends in Tel-Aviv had the Brigantin and to my ears it sounded
like too much of a good thing. I prefer a leaner sound.

One problem with self-amplified speakers is that they are a sealed
package deal as there is no way to adjust their sound balance in
any meaningful way. I prefer to have separate components which
can be tweaked, changed and replaced as one wishes.

dk
MiNe109
2021-01-06 17:19:01 UTC
One problem with self-amplified speakers is that they are a sealed
package deal as there is no way to adjust their sound balance in
any meaningful way. I prefer to have separate components which
can be tweaked, changed and replaced as one wishes.
You need a different preamp! Or source. Something like the RME ADI-2 DAC
has enough DSP and EQ for hours of tweaking. (I'm joking here as I'm
sure your system is fine as is!)

Self-amplified speakers do have potential problems with longevity: if
your onboard electronics fail, your speaker doesn't work.
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 23:45:12 UTC
Cabasse guarantees its loudspeakers LIFETIME...
dk
2021-01-07 00:25:00 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
if your onboard electronics fail, your speaker doesn't work.
Cabasse guarantees its loudspeakers LIFETIME...
I know. What you forgot to mention is that the
speakers must be shipped back to the factory
in France for repairs.

And how about the possibility of the company
going out of business. Is Cabasse "too big to
fail"? Will the French government bail them
out?

I did not even mention the fact the built in
amps are crappy solid state class D crap
as it is simply impossible to provide
adequate cooling and ventilation for
a 100 W, a 200 W and a 500 W amp
housed inside a speaker enclosure.

Perhaps you should revisit high school
physics.

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-07 08:14:41 UTC
I settled for a veterinary school...
dk
2021-01-07 08:41:04 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
Perhaps you should revisit high school
physics.
I settled for a veterinary school...
For cats or for dogs?

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-07 09:10:15 UTC
For snails and lizards...
dk
2021-01-07 09:52:33 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
Post by MELMOTH
settled for a veterinary school...
For cats or for dogs?
For snails and lizards...
I see. I had forgotten you
were French! No frogs? ;-)

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-07 10:37:12 UTC
I see. I had forgotten you
were French! No frogs? ;-)
The frogs, I just eat them...Alive, of course...
dk
2021-01-08 18:17:40 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
I see. I had forgotten you
were French! No frogs? ;-)
The frogs, I just eat them...
Alive, of course...
I appreciate your confession.
This explains completely your
taste in music. Old frogs!

Yours or theirs?
dk
2021-01-07 01:33:39 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by MiNe109
Self-amplified speakers do have potential problems with
longevity: if your onboard electronics fail, your speaker
doesn't work.
Cabasse guarantees its loudspeakers LIFETIME...
Yours or theirs?
Either way it does not make economic sense.
Typical French braggadocio.

dk
Alan Dawes
2021-01-06 11:31:16 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
[...]
I guess a horn speaker to go with the wind up gramophone like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gramophone-Player-Square-Phonograph-Vintage/dp/B08942W7BS

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-10-29 22:29:25 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p705b/episodes/downloads
There was a link that could access all of them, maybe the above site can lead the way.
I've always found the choices, in general, a bit disappointing, and is probably due to wanting my own tastes more closely mirrored and reflected. But the series is still fascinating for all that. I'm not a Stoky fan, but it is good to know of his interest in the Tango and early jazz.
Ray Hall, Taree
Just carry a satphone and
watch YouTube. CDs are so
passé!
dk
Maybe, but especially for the younger set, who probably wouldn't know what a CD looked like. They live in a Pod world of downloads.

As for YouTube, it has become my gateway to news articles, sports highlights, interviews, and music concerts. An amazing resource.

2021-01-06 04:56:18 UTC
Post by Kerrison
A few Desert Island Discs programmes on You Tube ... There have been well over 2,000 of them since the show first started in 1942.
Leopold Stokowski ...
http://youtu.be/VsX5QVDkf6g
Jorge Bolet ...
Upcoming radio program featuring Bolet:

https://www.wfmt.com/2021/01/31/a-complete-jorge-bolet-recital/
Neil
2021-01-06 07:41:59 UTC
Post by Kerrison
The BBC radio programme Desert Island Discs has been mentioned here
before but now they've started to put details of all the programmes,
from the 1940s onwards, on-line. Eventually they hope to have as many
broadcasts available to listen to or download.
You can tap in the name of anyone you hope might have been sent to the
desert island in the 'Find Castaways' search field and see the
recordings they chose. Conductors included Beecham, Boult and
Stokowski; pianists included Arrau, Moiseiwitsch and Rubinstein;
singers included Pavarotti, Sutherland and Caballe; violinists
included Menuhin, Stern and Szeryng; composers included Copland, Bliss
and Maxwell Davies; and so on. Those are just a few random names
plucked out of the air from nearly 3000 broadcasts ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway
Bolet and Ogdon too.