Top 10 Liszt Albums
Kevin N
2011-08-24 12:57:56 UTC
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
HvT
2011-08-24 14:05:54 UTC
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
My personal favourites at this moment, and in no particular order:

1. Lise de la Salle's most recent recording, simply called Liszt - best
recent Liszt recording by far
2. Brendel's Liszt 2CD set on Vox
3. Hamelin's recent Liszt CD
4. Ginzburg's Live Recordings Vol. II, CD1 with a selection from the Années
and Schubert transcriptions
5. Kempff's Liszt on DG (also in the GPOC)
6. Volodos' complete Liszt CD, it took me some time before I could
appreciate it (following the music with the score helped immensely) - only
then it becomes clear what he can do with the piano
7. Bavouzet's MDG recording of Liszt
8. Chamayou's live recording of Liszt's transcendental etudes - a
fascinating but far from perfect recording by a brilliant young pianist
9. Groh's Liszt recording because of his classical approach (without
becoming too obsessed by it like Dichter in some of his performances of the
rhapsodies)
10. Lazaridis' Liszt CD with the Paganini etudes - a brilliant pianist and
victim of the love of showmanship these days

I didn't mention Cziffra because you already mentioned him. I didn't mention
Lortie because I believe that I'm his only admirer on RMCR. I didn't mention
Korstick because I'm waiting for his last Années. The quality of his
performances tend to be uneven.

Henk
Mark Stratford
2011-08-24 14:16:11 UTC
Was about Leslie Howard, the guy who recorded every last note, in
every version?
wimpie
2011-08-24 14:45:54 UTC
Post by Mark Stratford
Was about Leslie Howard, the guy who recorded every last note, in
every version?
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable.... I'd
rather settle for less Liszt (i.e not every version of every work he
has written) than for all Liszt by Howard.... France Clidat, the
French pianist, recorded all original Liszt (that means that it
doesn't include the transcriptions) in the 60's/70's and they have
been recently reissued by Decca. That would be my choice if you really
want "a lot of " Liszt. If not, anthologies by Arrau (very cheap on
Eloquence now!) or Bolet are self-commanding!

W.
Miguel Montfort
2011-08-24 15:04:43 UTC
Post by wimpie
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable....
Au contraire – there are many hidden (and not so hidden)
gems, and none of them forgettable.
Post by wimpie
France Clidat, the French pianist, recorded all original
Liszt (that means that it doesn't include the transcriptions)
in the 60's/70's and they have been recently reissued by Decca.
Enthusiastically seconded!

Miguel
pianomaven
2011-08-25 10:29:39 UTC
Post by Miguel Montfort
Post by wimpie
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable....
Au contraire – there are many hidden (and not so hidden)
gems, and none of them forgettable.
Correct.

The comment was completely idiotic.

TD
pianomaven
2011-08-25 10:29:05 UTC
Post by wimpie
Post by Mark Stratford
Was about Leslie Howard, the guy who recorded every last note, in
every version?
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable.
What a silly, ignorant dismissal of a man's life's work! Would that
you had ever done (or said?) anything even 1/100th as interesting.
Just unbelievable. And bitchy.

You may find him less like Martha Argerich, your heroine in all
matters, but that does not mean his work is "forgettablE" The problem
may, in fact, be your attention span, which would seem to resemble
that of a gnat!!! No wonder you can't remember anything.

TD
weary flake
2011-08-25 16:53:28 UTC
Post by wimpie
Post by Mark Stratford
Was about Leslie Howard, the guy who recorded every last note, in
every version?
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable....
I agree, Leslie Howard's Liszt is a great repertoire, but
bored playing.
Post by wimpie
I'd
rather settle for less Liszt (i.e not every version of every work he
has written) than for all Liszt by Howard.... France Clidat, the
French pianist, recorded all original Liszt (that means that it
doesn't include the transcriptions)
How complete is it? does it have earlier versions of the
etudes?
W.
wimpie
2011-08-25 20:29:16 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by wimpie
Post by Mark Stratford
Was about Leslie Howard, the guy who recorded every last note, in
every version?
I would say that all Liszt by Leslie Howard is forgettable....
I agree, Leslie Howard's Liszt is a great repertoire, but
bored playing.
O, o...
Post by weary flake
Post by wimpie
I'd
rather settle for less Liszt (i.e not every version of every work he
has written) than for all Liszt by Howard.... France Clidat, the
French pianist, recorded all original Liszt (that means that it
doesn't include the transcriptions)
How complete is it? does it have earlier versions of the
etudes?
No, she always plays the last version of Liszt's version in her
survey.

W.
wimpie
2011-08-25 20:34:11 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by weary flake
Post by wimpie
I'd
rather settle for less Liszt (i.e not every version of every work he
has written) than for all Liszt by Howard.... France Clidat, the
French pianist, recorded all original Liszt (that means that it
doesn't include the transcriptions)
How complete is it? does it have earlier versions of the
etudes?
No, she always plays the last version of Liszt's works in her survey.

W.
dk
2015-02-06 06:37:47 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by wimpie
I'd
rather settle for less Liszt (i.e not every version of every work he
has written) than for all Liszt by Howard.... France Clidat, the
French pianist, recorded all original Liszt (that means that it
doesn't include the transcriptions)
How complete is it? does it have earlier versions of the
etudes?
More complete than either Clidat or Johansen.
Not as well played as either of them.

dk
Andy Evans
2015-02-08 00:57:03 UTC
Lazar Berman: Transcendental Etudes >>

To my ears not nearly as good as Arrau, who would be my choice.

Also a couple of pieces from Richter's 1950 Sofia concert - critics raved about them when they first came out.
p***@gmail.com
2015-02-08 02:29:30 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Lazar Berman: Transcendental Etudes >>
To my ears not nearly as good as Arrau, who would be my choice.
For Berman at his very top (live, mid 1970s, Liszt and Rach repertoire), try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lazar-Berman-Liszt/dp/B000J3DVE0/ref=sr_1_58

This may very well belong to *any* list of great live piano recordings. I personally attended a similar concert (not in Milan but in nearby Bergamo) at the time, same program, same combination of virtuoso playing and musical sensitivity, same avalanche of wrong notes, same stamina (just listen to Orage, that was one of the encores *after* all the 6 Moments Musicaux and all the 12 Transcendental Etudes!!).
Steve Emerson
2015-02-08 04:12:32 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Lazar Berman: Transcendental Etudes >>
To my ears not nearly as good as Arrau, who would be my choice.
There's a stereo Berman from some years after the more ubiquitous mono
performance. I prefer it to the mono.

SE.
Terry
2015-02-05 06:15:29 UTC
They represent a very solid recommendation, in my opinion, not that I want that much Liszt in my life.
Miguel Montfort
2011-08-24 14:41:56 UTC
[highly enjoyable recordings snipped]
I didn't mention Lortie because I believe that I'm his only
admirer on RMCR.
You’re not alone ... definitely not! I joined this exclusive
club when I came across his magnificent reading of Stravinsky’s
»Trois movements de Petrouchka«.

Miguel
pianomaven
2011-08-24 22:45:00 UTC
Post by HvT
10. Lazaridis' Liszt CD with the Paganini etudes - a brilliant pianist and
victim of the love of showmanship these days
So glad you have discovered this marvelous disc, Henk.

GL is also a composer, something I sort of feel in his playing.

TD
Dufus
2011-08-24 14:46:29 UTC
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general.
These 2 new ones, to be released in Sept. and Oct., may be on a "top
10" list some day, and the Aimard is an interesting concept :

Aimard :

http://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Project-Pierre-Laurent-Aimard/dp/B005B0YUTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314196296&sr=1-1

Lang Lang :

http://www.amazon.com/Liszt-My-Piano-Hero-Deluxe/dp/B0055B0MBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314196403&sr=1-1

I would also mention the Pogorelich 1991 DGG cd of the Liszt Sonata ,
the Richter/Kondrashin concertos originally on Phillips 35mm, Berman's
"L'Annees", and the old "Horowitz Plays Liszt " ( title ?) originally
on RCA with the 2nd,6th,15th Rhapsodies,Valse Ouiblees,Au bord. Some
early Fiorentino, on APR, should be considered,too.

Good hunting !

Dufus
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-08-24 15:51:15 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general.
These 2 new ones, to be released in Sept. and Oct., may be on a "top
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005B0YUTQ
What *is* it about DGG? "The Liszt Legacy," interesting as it appears, is
mostly music of other composers; and this one, with the even stupider title
"The Liszt Project" (wow, like nobody has ever done anything before that
could be considered a "Liszt Project"!), is only about half Liszt. Is DGG
embarrassed by Liszt's music or something?
Post by Dufus
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055B0MBQ
I won't presume to speak for anybody else, but I am not the least bit
interested in this one.
--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
"I don’t think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
HvT
2011-08-24 15:57:32 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Dufus
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055B0MBQ
I won't presume to speak for anybody else, but I am not the least bit
interested in this one.
Where is Lazaridis when you need him?

Henk
pianomaven

TD
HvT
2011-08-25 11:36:49 UTC
Post by pianomaven
Post by HvT
Post by Dufus
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055B0MBQ
I won't presume to speak for anybody else, but I am not the least
bit interested in this one.
Where is Lazaridis when you need him?
On LINN RECORDS.
I've his Liszt and Schumann CD. On LINN's website I couldn't find a more
recent recording. Do you know more?

Henk
g***@gmail.com
2014-03-30 08:00:39 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general.
These 2 new ones, to be released in Sept. and Oct., may be on a "top
http://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Project-Pierre-Laurent-Aimard/dp/B005B0YUTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314196296&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Liszt-My-Piano-Hero-Deluxe/dp/B0055B0MBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314196403&sr=1-1
I would also mention the Pogorelich 1991 DGG cd of the Liszt Sonata ,
the Richter/Kondrashin concertos originally on Phillips 35mm...
Concerning the R/K concertos:

http://www.1000recordings.com/music/two-piano-concertos-piano-sonata/
George
2011-08-24 16:52:08 UTC
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
1. Gekic - Etudes
2. Berman - Years of Pilgrimage
3. Richter - The concertos
4. Janis - Totentanz
5. Arrau - any/all of his Liszt
6. VAI's Hungarian Rhapsodies Played by 19 Great Pianists
7. Fiorentino - Any
8. Liszt Reves d'amour on DG (Berman, Barenboim and Argerich)
9. The two CD set on Marston - Liszt Illuminated
10. Cziffra interpreta Liszt on Arkadia, 1/22/59 Live Torino

George
Randy Lane
2011-08-24 23:13:00 UTC
Post by George
Post by Kevin N
[...]
Doesn't anyone want to include the Mephisto Waltz CD with Hatto,
produced my William Barrington-Coupe, certainly one of the most
memorable Liszt CDs ever?
mandryka
2011-08-25 07:54:10 UTC
I've been exploring late the vocal music. I've known Reinbert de
Leeuw's Viz Crucis for years and highly recommend it. The requiem is
in a similar style and I've been enjoying Janos Ferencsik's CD with
the Hungarian Army. The record by Arpad Joo of the Legend of St
Elizabeth is also well worth having.

I've also been playing Nikolai Gedda's song recordings on spotify and
I like them a lot. In my pre-spotify days Thomas Hampson was my
stalwart for Liszt but now I think I prefer Gedda.

As far as piano is concerned, one thing I liked a lot is Mykola Suk's
recordings of Hungarian Rhapsodies.

I'm interested in transcriptions and I've enjoyed from a couple of
recordings recently: Roger Woodwards Beethoven/Liszt Eroica, which has
been transferred on symphonyshare. And Nikolai Petrov's Berlioz /Liszt
Symphony Fantastique. I prefer both of these to Jando or Howard. Also
Padrone's Schubert/Liszt.

I like the dark side, and Sunt Lacrymae Rerum played by Nyiregyhazi
continues to fascinate me. The whole LP, which is transferred on
demonoid, is a curate's egg.

For the big sonatas, there's an early recording by Kemal Gekic of the
Dante Sonata which I have played quite a few times over the past six
months and I've played with pleasure three or four times over the past
few months.

So my List of 10 is

1. Reinbert de Leeuw's Via Crucis
2 Janos Ferencsik's Requiem
3. Arpad Joo's St Elizabeth
4. Nikolai Gedda Lieder (3 vols)
5. Nyiregyhazi's LP with the threnodies
6 Mykola Suk's Hungarian Rhapsodies
7. Roger Woodwards Beethoven/Liszt Eroica
8. Padrone's Schubert/Liszt
9. Nikolai Petrov's Berlioz /Liszt Symphony Fantastique
10.Kemal Gekic Dante Sonata
mandryka
2011-08-25 08:16:55 UTC

I've been exploring the late vocal music. I've known Reinbert de
Leeuw's Via Crucis for years and highly recommend it. The requiem is
in a similar style and I've been enjoying Janos Ferencsik's CD with
the Hungarian Army. Also the record by Arpad Joo of the Legend of St
Elizabeth is also well worth having.

I've also been playing Nikolai Gedda's song recordings on spotify and
I like them a lot. In my pre-spotify days Thomas Hampson was my
stalwart for Liszt but now I think I prefer Gedda.

As far as piano is concerned, one thing I liked a lot is Mykola Suk's
recordings of Hungarian Rhapsodies.

I'm interested in transcriptions and I've enjoyed a couple of
recordings recently: Roger Woodwards Beethoven/Liszt Eroica, which has
been transferred on symphonyshare. And Nikolai Petrov's Berlioz /Liszt
Symphony Fantastique. I prefer both of these to Jando or Howard. Also
Padrone's Schubert/Liszt.

I like the dark side, and Sunt Lacrymae Rerum played by Nyiregyhazi
continues to fascinate me. The whole LP, which is transferred on
demonoid, is a curate's egg.

For the big sonatas, there's an early recording by Kemal Gekic of the
Dante Sonata which I have played with pleasure three or four times

There -- hopefully that has less typos
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-08-25 14:37:16 UTC
mandryka <***@googlemail.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:36a49e4b-f9f2-4bd3-ad11-a73b6f38df02
Post by mandryka
I like the dark side, and Sunt Lacrymae Rerum played by Nyiregyhazi
continues to fascinate me. The whole LP, which is transferred on
demonoid, is a curate's egg.
How would I find and download this? (Sheesh, I'm sounding like Paul Haebler,
except for the fact that I actually bought the LPs new and still own them,
but doubt my ability to make good transfers of them myself.)
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
mandryka
I'll e mail it to you
mandryka
2011-08-25 16:05:18 UTC
Post by mandryka
I like the dark side, and Sunt Lacrymae Rerum played by Nyiregyhazi
continues to fascinate me. The whole LP, which is transferred on
demonoid, is a curate's egg.
How would I find and download this?  (Sheesh, I'm sounding like Paul Haebler,
except for the fact that I actually bought the LPs new and still own them,
but doubt my ability to make good transfers of them myself.)
--
Matthew B. Tepper:  WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!
Read about "Proty" here:http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
I'll e mail it to you
Let me correct that -- I'll e mail it to you just as soon as I find a
way to do so. Every time I try to use oyþ@earthlink.net I get an
error. I won't post the link here because it's not my transfer.
Gerard
You forgot to do what Androcles did for his employers.
Matthew B. Tepper
2011-08-25 19:21:26 UTC
Post by mandryka
I like the dark side, and Sunt Lacrymae Rerum played by Nyiregyhazi
continues to fascinate me. The whole LP, which is transferred on
demonoid, is a curate's egg.
How would I find and download this?  (Sheesh, I'm sounding like Paul
Haebler, except for the fact that I actually bought the LPs new and
still own them, but doubt my ability to make good transfers of them
myself.)
I'll e mail it to you
Let me correct that -- I'll e mail it to you just as soon as I find a
error. I won't post the link here because it's not my transfer.
Thanks, just take out that funny-looking character (Icelandic "thorn") in
the address. Maybe it's time to say so in my sig file once more.
Gerard
2011-08-25 19:37:25 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by mandryka
[...]
Right. Your sig is not yet long enough.
You need sig-enlargement pills.
George

George
pgaron
2011-08-26 19:21:40 UTC
Post by mandryka
I'm interested in transcriptions and I've enjoyed a couple of
recordings recently: Roger Woodwards Beethoven/Liszt Eroica, which has
been transferred on symphonyshare.
That reminds me of a personal favorite: Cyprien Katsaris' recording of
the Beethoven symphonies in the Liszt transcriptions. That guy has
incredible digital dexterity!

pgaron
Oscar
2014-03-29 21:49:02 UTC
Ressurecting this thread. I have the 2011 DG Liszt box, which is pretty stellar. How do the 1978-85 Bolet recordings on Decca stack up? Have they aged well? I know they were very well-received upon initial release.

Any recommendations for can't miss all-Liszt titles, piano or otherwise?
Bozo
2014-03-29 23:10:06 UTC
Post by Oscar
Any recommendations for can't miss all-Liszt titles, piano or otherwise?
Sine qua non, I play my lp sparingly to preserve ; on cd ? :

http://www.amazon.com/Vladimir-Horowitz-Homage-Liszt-Victor/dp/B00B4XPLW4
Rich
2014-03-30 04:11:23 UTC
Post by Oscar
Any recommendations for can't miss all-Liszt titles, piano or otherwise?
1. Earl Wild-The Demonic Liszt (Vanguard Classics)
2. Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli- Totentanz (Vatican Recordings)
3. Claudio Arrau plays Liszt's Verdi paraphrases (Philips)
4. Zoltan Kocsis plays Wagner transcriptions (Philips) Some of these are by Kocsis.
5. Lazar Berman: Transcendental Etudes (the later recording on Columbia/Melodiya in stereo)
6. Aldo Ciccolini: Anne de Pellerinage (complete) on EMI
7. Sviatolav Richter: Liszt (Russian Revelation)
8. Sviatoslav Richter: Liszt Concerti on Philips
9. Dezso Ranki plays Liszt on Denon
10. Solti: Liszt , Tasso, From the Cradle to the Grave, etc. on Decca
11. Bernstein: BSO and NYP : Faust Symphony.

R. Sauer
HT
2014-03-30 09:03:05 UTC
The best CD in the set is the one with the transcriptions of Schubert Lieder.There is nothing wrong with Bolet's performances on the other CDs.

Henk
Bozo
2019-05-09 02:18:02 UTC
Post by mandryka
I've been exploring the late vocal music. I've known Reinbert de
Leeuw's Via Crucis for years and highly recommend it.
Thanks. My first hearing today.Reinbert de Leeuw discusses the work :

( 36 minutes )

Liszt “ in no man’s land “ per de Leeuw. Indeed interesting work.

de Leeuw plays it, 2013 live video :

Leslie Howard recorded : https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA66388

As did Jean Claude Pennetier on Mirare : http://tinyurl.com/y6td78nr

Did not find de Leeuw's at Amazon-US , only place I looked.
HT
2019-05-09 13:55:20 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by mandryka
I've been exploring the late vocal music. I've known Reinbert de
Leeuw's Via Crucis for years and highly recommend it.
http://youtu.be/lmmDIpsLcXk ( 36 minutes )
Liszt “ in no man’s land “ per de Leeuw. Indeed interesting work.
de Leeuw plays it, 2013 live video : http://youtu.be/OWA5S-DE9NU
It reminds me somehow of Satie's Danses Gothiques - also played by De Leeuw (which may be the reason why it did ring a bell):

Henk
Bozo
2019-05-09 18:12:45 UTC
Yes, and thanks as your YT my first hearing of the Satie as well. The Satie has the advantage of being shorter.
HT
2019-05-09 18:43:47 UTC
Post by Bozo
Yes, and thanks as your YT my first hearing of the Satie as well. The Satie has the advantage of being shorter.
<g> It also has the advantage of literary intrusions like dance 3.: "In favor of an unfortunate person".

Henk
Bozo
2019-05-10 17:18:22 UTC
De Leeuw quoted a composer, name I did not get ,who said, "We don't all believe in Christianity, but we all believe in Bach."
s***@hotmail.com
2019-05-10 17:29:01 UTC
I think it was Mauricio Kagel.

Very interesting talk by Leeuw. Leeuw is on Spotify playing Via Crusis solo as well as with a choir. I am listening as I am typing :-)

Soeren

dk
2015-02-06 06:34:06 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Post by George
Post by Kevin N
[...]
Definitely the best ever Liszt performance by a non-existent pianist!

dk
Steve Emerson
2011-08-25 17:00:42 UTC
In article
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
Kevin, you might check a related thread started by Dave Cook within the
last couple of months.

SE.
Kevin N
2011-08-26 17:54:38 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
In article
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
Kevin, you might check a related thread started by Dave Cook within the
last couple of months.
SE.
Thanks - I must have missed that thread with all these Google Groups
outages. Also thanks to Henk, whose list is exactly the sort of thing
I was looking for, to Mandryka, whose list was not exactly what I was
looking for, but opened up a whole new and exciting vista of Liszts
work for me (I had been under the impression that he was primarily a
keyboard composer who dabbled in some orchestral music), and everyone
else who has been helpful.
d***@gmail.com
2015-02-04 12:16:55 UTC
I want to add this 3 CD to the conversation:

1- Marc-Andre Hamelin plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.com/Marc-Andr%C3%A9-Hamelin-plays-Liszt-Franz/dp/B000002ZXV

2- Kissin plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.es/Kissin-Plays-Liszt-Evgeny/dp/B004O9Q5Z2

3- Nikolai Lugansky plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.com/Nikolai-Lugansky-plays-Liszt/dp/B005IQXSI2

In that order for me.
They did a very good job here.
JohnGavin
2015-02-04 14:51:30 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
1- Marc-Andre Hamelin plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.com/Marc-Andr%C3%A9-Hamelin-plays-Liszt-Franz/dp/B000002ZXV
2- Kissin plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.es/Kissin-Plays-Liszt-Evgeny/dp/B004O9Q5Z2
3- Nikolai Lugansky plays Liszt
http://www.amazon.com/Nikolai-Lugansky-plays-Liszt/dp/B005IQXSI2
In that order for me.
They did a very good job here.
I like that Hamelin recording too.

I can't name the top ones - there are too many Liszt recordings, but favorites are:

1. Hamelin plays Liszt
2. Nojima plays Liszt
3. Piano Concertos and Totentanz (Zimerman, Ozawa)
4. Paganini Etudes - Hamelin
5. Transcendental Etudes - Berezovsky (DVD)
6. Cziffra - Fantasy & Fugue on BACH, Polonaise #2 etc.
7. Totentanz, PC1 - Michelangeli, Kubelik
Oscar
2015-02-05 04:16:39 UTC
I didn't know about this DVD till now. Is it PAL or NTSC? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
JohnGavin
2015-02-05 14:34:53 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by JohnGavin
5. Transcendental Etudes - Berezovsky (DVD)
I didn't know about this DVD till now. Is it PAL or NTSC? Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Here's the information on it. It seems to be becoming less available. I actually watched it via Medici TV - a live recital from Roque D'Antheron.

http://www.wowhd.co.nz/DVD/liszt-etudes-dexecution-trans/dp/369719
Terry
By the way, Katsaris' box of Liszt's transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies is a lot of fun.
dk
2015-02-06 06:32:35 UTC
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
Counting full sets as one each:

-- all of Cziffra's Liszt recordings
-- all of Richter's Liszt recordings
-- all of France Clidat's Liszt recordings
-- all of Arcadi Volodos' Liszt recordings
-- all of Muza Rubackyte's Liszt recordings
-- all of Grigory Ginzburg's Liszt recordings
-- none of Eugene List's Liszt recordings ;-)

Cheers,

dk
AcousticLevitation.org
2017-02-16 03:33:36 UTC
]
-- all of France Clidat's Liszt recordings]
]

This is from an old thread, but I only now have had the great pleasure of hearing France Clidat's Liszt, via the 14-CD Decca France box.

I do have one problem, though, even though I've only listened to one disc all the way through, the one with the Sonata. The audio is claustrophobic. It sounds as if it were NoNoised to death.

Does anyone know if the original LPs or any other CD issues also have the top end and the air missing? If there are better-sounding releases, I might spend some bucks on them.

Thanks,
Steve
MiNe109
2017-02-16 04:37:38 UTC
Post by AcousticLevitation.org
]
-- all of France Clidat's Liszt recordings]
]
This is from an old thread, but I only now have had the great
pleasure of hearing France Clidat's Liszt, via the 14-CD Decca France
box.
I do have one problem, though, even though I've only listened to one
disc all the way through, the one with the Sonata. The audio is
claustrophobic. It sounds as if it were NoNoised to death.
Does anyone know if the original LPs or any other CD issues also have
the top end and the air missing? If there are better-sounding
releases, I might spend some bucks on them.
The samples (with classical.com covers) on Tidal and presumably Spotify
are pretty dire due to pitch instability.

Stephen
g***@gmail.com
2016-03-03 09:46:51 UTC
Post by Kevin N
I know the idea of "top 10" lists is rather silly in general. I do,
however, hope to supplement my collection with about 10 new discs for
the upcoming bicentenary, and such lists will be greatly helpful in
making the choices. I probably already have a couple that might show
up, such as Cziffra's 50s recording of the Hungarian Rhapsodies and
Bolet's recording of the Transcendental Etudes. Many Thanks!
If you like Liszt's piano concertos, here is a recent list of recommendations:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm