WAYLTL December
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-12-01 23:22:27 UTC
Wozzeck live performance by Theo Adams and cast with the Bavarian State Opera conducted by Carlos Kleiber from 1970. Live notwithstanding stage noises,
the cast is terrific. For a (pirated?) recording the sound is really fine in stereo. Kleiber brings out details I haven't heard in the numerous other recordings, dvds I already have. I guess I'll explore his few other recordings
of Beethoven, Wagner.

Also on Exton, the De Waart Rachmaninoff First symphony, cd 1 of a complete set.
A poster recommended this after my rave comment on his Rotterdam recordings
on Eloquence. (Pardon my syntax, misplaced phrases, please.)
HT
2018-12-03 14:55:11 UTC
Dvorak on YT. Requiem, Stabat Mater, some symphonies, chamber music with and without piano, songs, and only a few pieces for piano solo (not Dvorak's forte imo).

More than one commentator asked him/herself if Dvorak is underrated. I don't know. Among what I heard there was much I hadn't heard before and very little I didn't like.

My favorite after a long weekend listening to Dvorak is the piano quintet 2, as some call it. Is there a must-have version?

Henk
wkasimer
2018-12-03 15:08:43 UTC
Quite a few - Smetana Quartet with Panenka, Borodin with Richter, Budapest with Curzon. I also like the Hyperion disc with the Gaudier Ensemble.
c***@gmail.com
2018-12-03 19:56:32 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by HT
My favorite after a long weekend listening to Dvorak is the piano quintet 2, as some call it. Is there a must-have version?
Quite a few - Smetana Quartet with Panenka, Borodin with Richter, Budapest with Curzon. I also like the Hyperion disc with the Gaudier Ensemble.
Yeah, there are many "must-have" versions, including the first two above. Among recordings of yore, definitely the Janáček Quartet w/Eva Bernáthová. An outstanding one that seems to have passed under the radar is the Orion Quartet with Peter Serkin. Among the more recent issues, the recordings by Andsnes, Chang et al. and the Pavel Haas Quartet with Boris Giltburg respectively. One that I've been enjoying on my ipod recently is an exciting live performance by the Arcanto w/Silke Avenhaus from a BBC Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert of about a decade ago. It seems not to have led to a commercial recording, which is too bad.

AC
HT
2018-12-05 12:50:20 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Yeah, there are many "must-have" versions, including the first two above. Among recordings of yore, definitely the Janáček Quartet w/Eva Bernáthová. An outstanding one that seems to have passed under the radar is the Orion Quartet with Peter Serkin. Among the more recent issues, the recordings by Andsnes, Chang et al. and the Pavel Haas Quartet with Boris Giltburg respectively. One that I've been enjoying on my ipod recently is an exciting live performance by the Arcanto w/Silke Avenhaus from a BBC Radio 3 Lunchtime Concert of about a decade ago. It seems not to have led to a commercial recording, which is too bad.
Thanks, I like Serkin?Orion Quartet (at least what I heard o YT).Andsnes was very easy to listen to.

Henk
HT
2018-12-05 08:48:45 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by HT
My favorite after a long weekend listening to Dvorak is the piano quintet 2, as some call it. Is there a must-have version?
Quite a few - Smetana Quartet with Panenka, Borodin with Richter, Budapest with Curzon. I also like the Hyperion disc with the Gaudier Ensemble.
Thanks! The Richter-Borodin certainly is a must-have.

2018-12-04 02:03:48 UTC
Post by HT
My favorite after a long weekend listening to Dvorak
is the piano quintet 2, as some call it. Is there a
must-have version?
Rubinstein + Guarneri.
Firkusny + whomever.
Sorry for memory
lapses! 8-(

dk
HT
2018-12-05 13:02:53 UTC
Rubinstein + Guarneri.
I love the Guarneri SQ and Rubinstein is great. Thanks. A must-have (for me) Firkusny, like Bernáthová and Panenka, is sometimes too enthusiastic for my taste.

2018-12-05 20:27:15 UTC
Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick (pf)

Mozart: Sonata in D major for two pianos, K.448
Rachmaninoff: Suite No.2 in C major for two pianos, Op.17
Bach (J.S.): “Sheep May safely graze” (from Cantata BWV 208)
Arensky: Waltz (from Suite No.1 for two pianos)
Bax: “Moy Mell” (The Happy Plain), tone poem for two pianos (1916)
Milhaud: “Scaramouche”, suite for two pianos, Op.165b

Guild Historical GHCD 3501 ℗ © 2018. CD.
Mono. ADD.
Recorded in London and Moscow between 1948 and 1956. Issued on Columbia (U.K.) and Aprelevski Plant (Russia).
Album compiled by Callum Ross.
Remastering by Peter Reynolds, Reynolds Mastering.
Photographs of Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick from the Tully Potter Collection.
Booklet note © Callum Ross, April 2018.
Callum Ross was a student of Phyllis Sellick at the Royal College of Music between 1977 and 1981.
Al Eisner
2018-12-06 21:35:12 UTC
Post by Oscar
Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick (pf)
Mozart: Sonata in D major for two pianos, K.448
Rachmaninoff: Suite No.2 in C major for two pianos, Op.17
Bach (J.S.): “Sheep May safely graze” (from Cantata BWV 208)
Arensky: Waltz (from Suite No.1 for two pianos)
Bax: “Moy Mell” (The Happy Plain), tone poem for two pianos (1916)
Milhaud: “Scaramouche”, suite for two pianos, Op.165b
Guild Historical GHCD 3501 ℗ © 2018. CD.
Mono. ADD.
Recorded in London and Moscow between 1948 and 1956. Issued on Columbia (U.K.) and Aprelevski Plant (Russia).
Album compiled by Callum Ross.
Remastering by Peter Reynolds, Reynolds Mastering.
Photographs of Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick from the Tully Potter Collection.
Booklet note © Callum Ross, April 2018.
Callum Ross was a student of Phyllis Sellick at the Royal College of Music between 1977 and 1981.
This seems interesting. I don't know much of the repertoire, so I'm
curious how well you know the works and whether you have comments on
the performances. I gather that Smith lost the use of his left arm
later in his career (1956 according to Wikipedia, which year is
the end of the period listed above).
2018-12-17 18:40:54 UTC
Finzi: Introit, for small orchestra and solo violin, Op.6*
Finzi: Prelude, for string orchestra, Op.25
Finzi: Nocturne (New Year Music), Op.7
Finzi: Romance, for string orchestra, Op.11
Finzi: Three Soliloquies, for small orchestra (from the Suite Love's Labours Lost, Op.28)
Finzi: Fall of the Leaf, Elegy for orchestra, Op.20
Finzi: Severn Rhapsody, Op.3
Finzi: Ecologue, for piano and string orchestra, Op.10**
Finzi: Grand Fantasia & Toccata, for piano and orchestra, Op.38**

Rodney Friend (vln)*
London Philharmonic Orchestra / Sir Adrian Boult

Peter Katin (pf)**
New Philharmonia Orchestra (led by Bernard Partridge) / Vernon Handley**

Lyrita SRCD 239 ℗ 1978, 1977** © 2007. CD (professional CD-R, as issued).
Stereo. ADD.
Recording location and dates not listed.
Digital remastering engineer: Simon Gibson.
Booklet note: Diana McVeagh.
The original recordings were made with the support of the Finzi Trust.
laraine
2018-12-06 06:58:41 UTC
Heard on WFMT radio what I believe they said was a
duo sonata for two keyboards by Johann Christian Bach.
(I think it was on the Dec 4 Peter Van De Graaf early morning schedule.)

I see a two-keyboard piece by JCBach listed in wikipedia:
Sonata for 2 keyboards Op. 15 No.5 in G major

I don't know how long the piece lasted in total - when
my alarm went off, it was probably near the middle or beyond.

It had a very pleasant catchy sound, and good interaction of the
two keyboard voices. I was wondering who wrote it, thinking it
sounded like Mozart, but hadn't heard this by him, so instead
surmised that it might be a lesser known Clementi or even Haydn.

I think it would be an excellent recital piece, though like
most 2-piano, very hard to hold together. The performers were
excellent (possibly on fortepiano).

C.
Lawrence Chalmers
Marathon traversals of Michael Gielen Edition vol. 5 and 7. Too much to go into but as a whole very satisfying. Currently on Profil Medien the Kyril Kondrashin Edition, again satisfying but not that excited by the soviet composers therein. Coming up a 10cd "Rarest recordings" (that's all the box says) set of Rosbaud recordings. Plenty to keep me busy through the holidays and into the new year.
r***@gmail.com
2018-12-17 23:50:29 UTC
Downward Spiral, Nine Inch Nails.