Mystery Sacre du Printemps!
Add Reply
Russ (not Martha)
2019-10-06 17:23:32 UTC
A friend in California asked whether I owned a copy of the Bohdan Wodiczko / Polish National SO recording of Stravinsky’s ‘Sacre du Printemps,’ which I do not. The discussion moved on to the question of my remastering a YouTube file of this recording, sourced from a Polish Muza LP.

I found - or thought I found - a good-sounding audio file of the Wodiczko ‘Sacre’ with next-to-no background noise, so I remastered it to CD, dividing the trax according to the title pages in the orchestral score.

The performance is absolutely hair-raising. The orchestral performance is razor-sharp; tempos pretty much on the quick side. The recorded sound is magnificent, with the all-important percussion pretty much in-your-face.

This would be my go-to version when I want to hear 'Sacre'.

Only one little problem.

It’s NOT the Wodiczko recording. I have no idea who the performers are!!

I honestly thought that I had located the Wodickzo/PNSO file on YouTube and that background noise was minimal as I transferred it into my computer and divided the file into the appropriate tracks.

But later on, I got onto YouTube again, and was definitely looking at the Wodiczko file when it was clear that the sound quality was only so-so, there was obvious LP surface crackle, and total timing of the recording was 2 minutes more than that of the recording I mistakenly pulled off!

These are the track timings of the 'Mystery Sacre':

Part I Introduction 3:25*
Les Augures printaniers 3:09
Jeu du rapt 1:17
Rondes printanières 3:56
Jeux des cités rivales 1:48
Cortège du sage 0:40
Le Sage 0:22
Danse de la terre 1:15*

Part II Introduction 4:12*
Cercles mystérieux des adolescentes 2:59
Glorification de l'élue 1:25
Évocation des ancêtres 0:43
Action rituelle des ancêtres 2:38
Danse sacrale (L'Élue) 4:02*

TT: 33:02

*Includes some silence before or after the music

So I’ll be snooping around YouTube to see if I can identify the performance, but in the meantime, if there is someone out there in rcmr-land who owns heaps of different versions of 'Sacre', perhaps you could be kind enough to have a look at the movement timings, and see if anyone’s version matches up with the list above.

Thanks for reading, and happy listening to everyone.

Russ (not Martha)
s***@hotmail.com
2019-10-06 21:00:57 UTC
Are you sure about the timing for Action rituelle des ancêtres?

Soeren
Russ (not Martha)
2019-10-06 22:31:12 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Are you sure about the timing for Action rituelle des ancêtres?
Soeren
Thanks for looking.

That was a typo; my apologies. Should be 3:38.

Anyhow, I am pretty sure the knockout performance in question is Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle SO.

Russ (not Martha)
Frank Berger
To be brief about it, Gramophone calls the performance lethargic.
Russ (not Martha)
2019-10-07 02:57:21 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Are you sure about the timing for Action rituelle des ancêtres?
Soeren
Thanks for looking.
That was a typo; my apologies. Should be 3:38.
Anyhow, I am pretty sure the knockout performance in question is Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle SO.
Russ (not Martha)
To be brief about it, Gramophone calls the performance lethargic.
Gramophone tells me one thing; my ears tell me another. In any case, I am surprised that Gramophone had a problem with lethargic performances, considering the constant hard-on it had for Klemperer's recordings.

Russ (not Martha)
g***@gmail.com
2019-10-07 03:03:49 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Are you sure about the timing for Action rituelle des ancêtres?
Soeren
Thanks for looking.
That was a typo; my apologies. Should be 3:38.
Anyhow, I am pretty sure the knockout performance in question is Gerard Schwarz...
This G.S. interview may be of interest:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/T_X2lYx8PYo
s***@hotmail.com
2019-10-07 04:44:51 UTC
Salonen’s DG recording comes pretty close to those timings. You might want to check it out.

Soeren
jrsnfld
2019-10-08 04:47:12 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Salonen’s DG recording comes pretty close to those timings. You might want to check it out.
Soeren
Yes. The Salonen on DG is close (and closer than Salonen/Philharmonia). But the Levi/Atlanta on Telarc is maybe slightly closer a match than either Salonen recording.

--Jeff