Editorial in Classics Today--where PC has got us to
2019-09-10 00:34:40 UTC
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Oscar
2019-09-10 01:22:02 UTC
Good read, Bob. Thx. Herky gets it right.
Frank Berger
2019-09-10 01:33:54 UTC
What is the purpose of mentioning "big women?"
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-09-10 01:39:33 UTC
Because thin women in tight corsets wouldn't have the same visual effect???
Andrew Clarke
2019-09-10 22:17:55 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Oscar
Good read, Bob. Thx. Herky gets it right.
What is the purpose of mentioning "big women?"
Because thin women in tight corsets wouldn't have the same visual effect???
C.f.

"I'm a big, fat mamma, lots of flesh sticking to my bones,
I'm a big, fat mamma, lots of flesh sticking to my bones,
An' every time I shake it, some skinny girl loses her own."

- Ida Cox

and, on the other hand,

"I looked up to her head,
I looked down to her feet,
I saw she was built like an automobile
That didn't have no rumble seat ..."

- Big Bill Broonzy

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2019-09-10 06:43:06 UTC
Post by Oscar
Good read, Bob. Thx. Herky gets it right.
What is the purpose of mentioning "big women?"
Because "The show's not over until the person sings" doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-09-10 01:28:17 UTC
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Awful - disregarding Lebrecht who is a well known joke, tis is PC gone wild which it often does. The soprano is obviously fat shaming herself with her response - if she lost weight the problem would go away.
Bob Harper
2019-09-10 16:27:00 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by Bob Harper
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Awful - disregarding Lebrecht who is a well known joke, tis is PC gone wild which it often does. The soprano is obviously fat shaming herself with her response - if she lost weight the problem would go away.
Well, the lady gave birth recently and is breast-feeding, so being
larger than she usually is isn't unusual, but if she'd just said that
and let it go, would we, suckers that we are, be talking about it?

Bob Harper
Andrew Clarke
2019-09-11 02:48:01 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by Bob Harper
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Awful - disregarding Lebrecht who is a well known joke, tis is PC gone wild which it often does. The soprano is obviously fat shaming herself with her response - if she lost weight the problem would go away.
Wasn't it often claimed that Maria Callas's singing went into decline after she dieted and lost a lot of weight?

Mr Laurson says of Lebrecht: "The irony is rich here, seeing how his headlines are a regular gallery of sexism and nationalism." The man is a sensationalist and is frequently unreliable, but really, *what* sexism, *what* nationalism?

It's Missouri time again ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Todd Michel McComb
2019-09-10 03:08:52 UTC
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
FWIW, I don't have a problem with the original "big women" comment.
It seems descriptive, and there's nothing wrong with being big.
(To assume otherwise would seem to me to be a problem.) Beyond
that, the Classics Today article was rather tedious. No wonder I
don't ordinarily read that publication.
HT
2019-09-10 08:28:53 UTC
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Never heard of Lewek before. Now I have.

Henk
Andrew Clarke
2019-09-10 22:25:10 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Bob Harper
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Never heard of Lewek before. Now I have.
Henk
Point taken, and I think you made the same remark about Ms St John, equally appropriately IMHO,

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
weary flake
2019-09-12 02:47:19 UTC
https://www.classicstoday.com/big-opera-feud-to-say-dick-or-not-to-say-dick-that-is-the-question/
Since the complete review isn't available to read in English,
the above article is misleading. I'll take it that the real
controversy is the reviewer's description of the porn-style
production of the opera, but Classics Today deleted two
paragraphs of description of the production. It is
Politcally Correct in Germany that old opera must be
"subversive" or it will not be allowed. So Offenbach is a
recent victim to PC, to go along with the hateful attacks
on Mozart, Wagner, etc.

Here's more excerpts, I suppose this is the original review,
from Google Chrome translate:

https://www.welt.de/kultur/klassik/article198788335/Schlaflos-in-Salzburg-Hier-schlackern-die-Glieder-hier-muss-man-sein.html

It continues with Jacques Offenbach . Here a rare guest. However,
for his 200th birthday, it may be his first, best known but also
heaviest operetta: "Orphée aux enfers". The house for Mozart has
been transformed by the Berlin amusement guru Barrie Kosky into a
rancid quirky revue theater. In front of crumpled fabric backdrops
in gray, a sexboulevard piece that is always the same is waltzed
down, squeaky, slightly asynchronous.

The brilliant actor Max Hopp is responsible for this. He plays not
only in Theo-Lingen-succession the Hans Styx, who drips with Lethe,
who makes in this shrieking-krawallschachtelig-klamottösen "Orpheus"
even the universal speaker and the sounds: Oink-oink, trapp-trapp!
And in the end, the phalli and vulvae are thundering as rhinestones
fireworks under the devilish cancan rock.

Funny is that, ordinary, and speed has it. Old Mezzo Anne Sofie von
Otter gives public opinion as a Swedish pastor's wife, but the horny
gods world makes it a line through the virtue bill. And unfortunately,
the well-oiled puppet mechanism quickly runs empty, again and again
make fat women in tight corsets in various Separees legs wide.
That's just an Offenbach page. I notice in Kosky's seventh (!)
Staging of the season (five to follow in the coming, not to mention
revivals) the wear and tear. But for the all too respectable Salzburg
is the verjuxte banger, the much needed humor bomb to laugh. And
Enrique Mazzola lets the Viennese play really rough-sounding, even
dirty. Chapeau!

Budenzauber with Oedipus Short relaxation break in the press office
at the free coffee with the most beautiful panoramic view in the
world, then in the "Oedipe" grounds, directly below in the
Felsenreitschule. A wonderful, austere piece by composing violinist
George Enescu , since 1936 he has gone to any fashion. Ancient greek
with Christian sinners heaven ride at the end. Under the cautious
Ingo Metzmacher, the Vienna Philharmonic plays dream-transfigured,
string-strong with bucolic flute tones. A seraphic requiem.

Christopher Maltman sings when he replaces the monster baby he will
eventually become, starting with the second act, with distinctive
heroic baritone tones. Although not himself unmusculated, he was
pumped up with plastic muscles to a comic boxer. Achim Freyer,
85-year-old creator of surreal Salzburg festival worlds, wants it
that way. His spiny dollhouse magic has also become elderly. You
can see well-known ideas in the threadbare shuffle, also here there
are dicks and monster tits. Freyer tells only brave, he does not
offer a truly interpretative solution. First signs of fatigue.
Luckily, there's the latest Netflix series in the hotel room, a
jazzy thing from Japan: "The Naked Director." Two episodes are still
going.