Is this the finest Mendelssohn PC#1 on record?
Dan Koren
2023-11-28 00:32:00 UTC

2023-11-28 19:43:14 UTC

2023-11-28 21:34:37 UTC
JohnGavin
2023-11-28 21:41:43 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/xo0dVZoJ2hQ
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thx
Cummon! Surely ... http://youtu.be/ZbPYn6u4EYE
I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, but since Alex pointed out Yuja Wang’s YouTube, I’ll say that I have to agree with him. The Russian pianist to my ears plays Mendelssohn in a Brahmsian manner. Solid for sure, but too heavy handed. This is the composer of Midsummer Night’s Dream. The playing needs to be fleet and light. He has no sparkle in his playing, and therefore misses the point.

Great Mendelssohn from a Russian pianist would be the Scherzo from MND by Rachmaninoff or Benno M.
Marc S
2023-11-28 22:50:33 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/xo0dVZoJ2hQ
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thx
Cummon! Surely ... https://
Post by JohnGavin
Great Mendelssohn from a Russian pianist would be the Scherzo from MND by Rachmaninoff or Benno M.
Why didn't you want to comment on this thread? Because you feel like boycotting Dan or because you feared replies over your disagreement?

I agree with both you, but I don't like Wang either. I liked Bashkirov a little a while back, not so much anymore. I was a bit surprised Dan liked this, but I guess he was in the mood for a heavier version.
Marc S
2023-11-28 23:00:20 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/xo0dVZoJ2hQ
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thx
Cummon! Surely ... http://youtu.be/ZbPYn6u4EYE
I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, but since Alex pointed out Yuja Wang’s YouTube, I’ll say that I have to agree with him. The Russian pianist to my ears plays Mendelssohn in a Brahmsian manner. Solid for sure, but too heavy handed. This is the composer of Midsummer Night’s Dream. The playing needs to be fleet and light. He has no sparkle in his playing, and therefore misses the point.
Great Mendelssohn from a Russian pianist would be the Scherzo from MND by Rachmaninoff or Benno M.
Speaking about playing Mendelssohn in a Brahmsian manner; would you say that Kissin plays the Brahms PC 1 (live version on yt) in a Mendelssohnian manner?

Hmmm... I have to think about if I like Kissin or Gelber more in the Brahms PC 1... I think I may prefer Kissin's approach... but for now I'm still busy with Mozart's operas.
Owen Hartnett
2023-11-29 03:44:41 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/xo0dVZoJ2hQ
Thoughts? Opinions?
Thx
(In my best John MacEnroe tone of voice:) Are you serious???

Lousy video print, not only just archaic sound but with the added attraction
of some fan motor rub-rub-rubbing near the mike in all the passages that
weren't bleated out by the execrably slow tempoed orchestra.
Post by Alex Brown
Cummon! Surely ... http://youtu.be/ZbPYn6u4EYE
And she gets the mood of this almost bubblegum concerto just right, and
everybody and their fur coats leaves smiling.
(Except probably DK.)

-Owen
Dan Koren
2023-11-29 08:03:29 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
And she gets the mood of this almost bubblegum concerto
just right, and everybody and their fur coats leaves smiling.
(Except probably DK.)
I don't wear fur coats ;-)

2023-11-29 12:50:29 UTC
Some more spirited Felix:

JohnGavin
2023-11-29 12:53:11 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
http://youtu.be/a4T8sfTFkR0
And just one more unbelievably great recording:

Marc S
2023-12-06 11:06:05 UTC
Also have to revise what I stated here: While I find it a tad heavy, Bashkirov's playing is really nice (His KV 382 is very nice as well; his 453 too (this one only pianistically, as Barshai's accompaniment sucks) -- I do not like his two 491 recordings though).