Mahler 4 most awesome Gates of Heaven?
Add Reply
Ed Presson
2019-09-25 18:51:43 UTC
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
2019-09-25 19:21:51 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
I assume you're referring to the soprano part in the last movement.

For pure heavenly sweetness, I'd go with Kathleen Battle, in a
recording with Maazel and VPO.

2019-09-25 19:43:08 UTC
Post by O
Post by Ed Presson
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
I assume you're referring to the soprano part in the last movement.
For pure heavenly sweetness, I'd go with Kathleen Battle, in a
recording with Maazel and VPO.
-Owen
No, the soprano has already passed through the gates and she is singing about the heavenly life. The reference normally is to the great orchestral outburst towards the end of the third movement. To be honest, I haven't really compared performances of that portion of the work. Presumably you'd want a great orchestra in great recorded sound. Budapest Festival Orchestra/Iván Fischer perhaps? Once we've arrived in heaven, however, I'll stick with Netania Davrath.

AC
Ed Presson
2019-09-26 01:03:48 UTC
Post by O
Post by Ed Presson
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
I assume you're referring to the soprano part in the last movement.
For pure heavenly sweetness, I'd go with Kathleen Battle, in a
recording with Maazel and VPO.
-Owen
No, the soprano has already passed through the gates and she is singing
about the heavenly life. The reference normally is to the great orchestral
outburst towards the end of the third movement. To be >honest, I haven't
really compared performances of that portion of the work. Presumably you'd
want a great orchestra in great recorded sound. Budapest Festival
Orchestra/Iván Fischer perhaps? Once we've >arrived in heaven, however,
I'll stick with Netania Davrath.
AC
Yes, AC is right. I was writing about the great orchestral outburst. I
should have, could have, been more specific.

Ed Presson
s***@gmail.com
2019-09-25 20:59:23 UTC
Kletzki/Philharmonia-Love that early wonderful EMI stereo
Szell/Cleveland-that outburst seems to come out of nowhere!

Stan Punzel
wkasimer
2019-09-25 23:48:23 UTC
Popp/Tennstedt, McNair/Haitink, Bonney/Chailly. Plus the recordings mentioned by others, which are all excellent.
n***@gmail.com
Poor Della Casa/Reiner. (Perhaps she doesn't count?)
Bob Harper
2019-09-26 23:31:23 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by wkasimer
Post by Ed Presson
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
Popp/Tennstedt, McNair/Haitink, Bonney/Chailly. Plus the recordings mentioned by others, which are all excellent.
Poor Della Casa/Reiner. (Perhaps she doesn't count?)
Della Casa ALWAYS counts :).

t***@hotmail.com
2019-09-26 03:31:28 UTC
My best one is Abbado/VPO.
Matthew Silverstein
2019-09-26 14:03:43 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
Some conductors downplay the Gate of Heaven, but I'm looking now for the
most awesome performance
of this moment. Suggestions?
MTT/SFSO is great here, if I remember correctly. (It's been a while.)

Matty