Stravinsky's l'Histoire du soldat
Michael Lee
2018-10-04 20:14:26 UTC
I'm performing l'Histoire on a few occasions this season, and it's been a while since I sampled the available performances. My favorite had always been Neeme Järvi conducting the Royal Scottish National Orchestra with Aage Haugland playing all three parts (on the Chandos label), mainly because this is the first one with which I was really familiar, and Haugland's devil is truly larger than life. I've also heard JoAnn Falletta's recent Naxos disc with the Virginia Arts Festival Chamber Players, and I thought the playing was superb.

God forbid I stop looking after owning only two discs, though! I've heard that there's a record, which is long out-of-print but is supposed to be quite good, of Vanessa Redgrave, Sting, and Ian McKellen acting with Kent Nagano conducting the London Sinfonietta. Is anybody familiar with this performance and willing to comment? Or do you have another recommendation entirely?
g***@gmail.com
2018-10-04 20:22:14 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/soldat%7Csort:relevance/rec.music.classical.recordings/ZEF-XVyYr2U/QhL-7Om0b7AJ
Randy Lane
2018-10-04 20:58:54 UTC
Recommend the Boston Symphony Chamber Players on DG.
Priceless! Never been matched or bettered IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043WBZP0/
c***@gmail.com
2018-10-04 22:43:06 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Recommend the Boston Symphony Chamber Players on DG.
Priceless! Never been matched or bettered IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043WBZP0/
Dittoing Randy. The couplings are fabulous also.