Lewenthal Complete RCA and Columbia Recordings
Add Reply
s***@hotmail.com
2019-05-25 15:38:54 UTC
A box of 6 cd’s coming in October - available to preorder at amazon.es. There’s even cover art, but no contents list.

Anyone know what the cd’s are likely to contain? Alkan, I suppose, but what else?

Soeren
JohnA
2019-05-25 16:13:18 UTC
His RCA and Columbia recordings.
Bozo
2019-05-25 16:39:20 UTC
Perhaps his Rubinstein PC # 4 , Henselt PC, Liszt "Totentanz" with orchestra I believe Lewenthal embellished himself, Scriabin Op.11 Preludes his perhaps the first lp recording of that set, some Chopin.
Russ (not Martha)
2019-05-25 17:09:23 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Anyone know what the cd’s are likely to contain? Alkan, I suppose, but what else?
Perhaps his Rubinstein PC # 4 , Henselt PC, Liszt "Totentanz" with orchestra I believe Lewenthal embellished himself, Scriabin Op.11 Preludes his perhaps the first lp recording of that set, some Chopin.
The Scriabin Preludes were recorded for Westminster.

His Alkan program and the 'Hexacameron' were reissued im RCA's 'High Performance' series.

The new box will probably contain the finale of the Scharwenka PC #2 and Liszt's Reminiscences of 'Norma'. I can't figure how what he recorded for RCA and Columbia would run to 6 CD's.

Russ (not Martha)
JohnGavin
2019-05-25 18:12:50 UTC
Here is the description for the American release of his complete RCA and Columbia recordings:

Description
''In his own words, Raymond Lewenthal was an ''octave thrower, long-distance arpeggioer and general producer of volcanic rumbles''. This hugely talented, extroverted pianist was also a key figure in the revival of a great deal of 19th-century piano music, most of all that of Charles-Valentin Alkan. Sony Classical's new 6-CD collection of Lewenthal's complete recordings for RCA and Columbia Masterworks celebrates this maverick pianist's recorded legacy, with three LPs of material specially remastered from the analogue tapes. Its release comes thirty years after Lewenthal's death in November 1988.
Both a showman and a scholar, Lewenthal was born in San Antonio, Texas, in 1923, working as a child movie actor in Hollywood before beginning formal piano study at the age of 15. His teachers included Olga Samaroff and Alfred Cortot. Though his early career in the US flourished after a debut with Dmitri Mitropoulos and the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1948, he withdrew from public performance a few years later after being attacked in Central Park. By the time he returned to concertizing in the 1960s, he had become a champion of Alkan's, much of whose music he edited for publication.
His enthusiasm for obscure Romantic repertoire was not limited to Alkan. He revived Adolf von Henselt's little-known Piano Concerto in F minor, a spectacularly difficult work, recording it with Sir Charles Mackerras and the LSO alongside his own version of Liszt's Totentanz. ''The sheer virtuoso bravura of it all is dazzling'', wrote Gramophone. With the same orchestra and conductor Eleazar de Carvalho, he also recorded Anton Rubinstein's Fourth Piano Concerto in D minor, and the dazzling finale to Franz Xaver Scharwenka's Second Concerto in C minor.
Two albums of Alkan's solo piano music are a fitting tribute to Lewenthal's obsession; they include his Symphonie, Grande Sonatine and many studies and miniatures. ''Raymond Lewenthal measures up to Alkan's fearsome demands with expressive gusto'', wrote BBC Music Magazine one visionary eccentric pianist channeling the spirit of another. Lewenthal also recorded the Hexaméron, a work written collaboratively by five pianists and put together by Liszt, and now receiving its first CD release Liszt's Réminiscences de Norma (''a revelation'' Gramophone).
One final CD shows another, no less significant side to Lewenthal: several recordings of him discussing works collected here at the keyboard, again never before released on disc. This vital, vivacious communicator ''a kind of Romantic idol'', The New York Times remarked still has a lot to say to us today, about a repertoire that continues to benefit from his passionate advocacy.''
weary flake
2019-05-25 19:47:51 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
[...]
There's a 7 inch in a sleeve glued to the front of one of his LPs,
talking about the pieces with sound samples. I forget which LP.

So the set won't include the Liszt / Thalberg LP (Angel Records)
sort of recreating the Liszt / Thalberg "dual". But Lewenthal
hated the Niobe piece, so he substituted it with something else
by Liszt.
JohnA
2019-05-25 19:57:19 UTC
Post by weary flake
There's a 7 inch in a sleeve glued to the front of one of his LPs,
talking about the pieces with sound samples. I forget which LP.
All three of his Columbia Lps came with 7" discussion discs:

MS 7252 - BTS 7 - Raymond Lewenthal discusses & illustrates the Henselt Piano Concerto & Liszt Totentanz

MS 7394 - BTS 20 - Raymond Lewenthal discussions & Illustrates the Rubinstein Piano Concerto No. 4 & the finale of the Scharwenka Piano Concerto No. 2

M 30234 - BTS 24 - Raymond Lewenthal Discusses & Illustrates at the Keyboard - Raymond Lewenthal probes the wildly original highly audacious grotesquely humorous daringly adventures touching lyrical & strangely beautiful music of Charles Valentin Alkan
Hank Drake
2019-05-25 20:26:59 UTC
The RCA recordings:

The Operatic Liszt:
Hexameron
Reminiscences de Norma

Piano Music of Alkan:
Le Festin D’Esope
Barcarolle
Quasi-Faust
Symphonie

The Columbia recordings:

Grotesqueries of Alkan
Funeral March for a Papagallo

Henselt: Piano Concerto in F minor
Liszt: Totentanz
London Symphony Orchestra
Charles Mackerras, conductor

Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No. 4 in D minor
Scharwenka: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor (last movement)
London Symphony Orchestra
Eleazar De Carvalho, conductor

Hank
Bozo
2019-05-25 18:17:57 UTC
Correct ; my error. May also have been his first commercial recording ?
Steven de Mena
2019-06-09 14:44:24 UTC
DG has released two CDs of his Westminster recordings.
Frank Berger
2019-06-11 06:15:04 UTC
Really? Can you clarify please?
John Fowler
2019-06-11 12:34:50 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Legacy-10-Box-Set/dp/B005B0YURI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QFZQ2GBQCAX2&keywords=the+liszt+legacy&qid=1560256318&s=music&sprefix=liszt+legacy%2Caps%2C151&sr=1-1

CDs 5 + 6 of this 10 CD box are devoted to Raymond Lewenthal's Westminster recordings from the 1950s.
Frank Berger
OK this has been mentioned. I was hoping for something new.
John Fowler
2019-05-25 23:31:19 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Raymond-Lewenthal-Complete-Columbia-Collection/dp/B07FSX3CQM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ASIN%3A+B07FSX3CQM&qid=1558826821&s=gateway&sr=8-1

ASIN: B07FSX3CQM
Bozo
2019-05-25 23:53:46 UTC
Some additional live Lewenthal that may be of interest :

Raymond Lewenthal's 10/30/1951 Carnegie Hall recital.

Scarlatti – 3 Sonatas: C major, K.132 (L.457) E minor, K.198 (L.22) C major, K.159 (L.104)
Beethoven - Sonata No.30, E major,Op.109
Hummel: Variations on Aramide
Liszt: Sonata in B minor
Ravel: Sonatine
Chopin: Polonaise-Fantasie, Ab major, Op.61
Prokofiev: Toccata, Op.11
Encores:
Beethoven: Fur Elise
Moszkowski: Etude, F major, Op.72, No.6
Chopin: Nocturne, F# major, Op.15, No.2
Dohnanyi: Capriccio, F minor, Op.28, No.6

At the Frick Collection, March 3,1974:

Field - Nocturne No. 9
Weber - Rondo Brilliante op. 62
Schumann - Symphonic Etudes op. 13
Chopin - Nocturne op. 15 No. 1
Chopin - Polonaises op. 40
Alkan - La Vision op. 63 No. 1
Alkan - Le Tambour bat aux Champs op. 50 No. 2
Liszt - Ballade No. 2
Donizetti/Liszt - Marche Funebre from "Dom Sebastien"
Grieg - An der Wiege op. 68 No. 5
Bach - Prelude No. 3 from WTC l - continuously leading to:
Chopin - Etude op. 10 No. 4

Other live recitals are at YT.

The 50's all-Scriabin Westminster lp mentioned earlier in this thread, not sure if at YT:

Fantasie,Op.28
Vers La Flamme, Op. 72
Five Last Preludes, Op. 74
Twenty-four Preludes, Op. 11

I have an mp3 of the Frick recital through the Liszt Ballade , Columbia Henselt/Liszt lp, Elan Liszt “Hexameron”/ Alkan cd, and the Westminster lp. Suffice to say,I enjoy the 2 later studio recordings, some of the Westminster, but not the live.
Not a Dentist
2019-05-26 04:38:56 UTC
Many may recall (or be surprised to learn) that the Scriabin and other Westminster items are included on two of the CDs in "The Liszt Legacy" from DG.
s***@hotmail.com
2019-05-27 19:09:10 UTC
Thanks the many positive replies. Looks like an interesting compilation.

Soeren
Hank Drake
2019-06-20 19:18:57 UTC
Amazon is now showing this will be eight discs, not six. I've heard through the grapevine this will include previously unreleased studio recordings of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage, Switzerland and Italy selections. The set will also include Lewenthal speaking about the music - which was included as a bonus on some of the original LPs.

American release now shows October 25.

Hank
John Fowler
2019-06-21 11:16:30 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
Amazon is now showing this will be eight discs, not six. I've heard through the grapevine this will include previously unreleased studio recordings of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage, Switzerland and Italy selections. The set will also include Lewenthal speaking about the music - which was included as a bonus on some of the original LPs.
American release now shows October 25.
Hank
Very good news. I note that the pre-order price on Amazon is still $31.98 which is a real bargain for 8 CDs.
I would advises everyone to pre-order it before the price goes up.
f***@gmail.com
I did, on June 20. Amazon canceled my order today.
vhorowitz
2019-08-04 21:20:21 UTC
Apparently there have been various problems with some of the unissued material that was to be included, so the contents of the set may have to be changed, perhaps after things were printed and ready to go? Not my place to get into details without permission to do so.
Frank Berger
2019-08-04 23:38:12 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Apparently there have been various problems with some of the unissued material that was to be included, so the contents of the set may have to be changed, perhaps after things were printed and ready to go? Not my place to get into details without permission to do so.
Thank you.