Lewenthal Complete RCA and Columbia Recordings
s***@hotmail.com
2019-05-25 15:38:54 UTC
A box of 6 cd’s coming in October - available to preorder at amazon.es. There’s even cover art, but no contents list.

Anyone know what the cd’s are likely to contain? Alkan, I suppose, but what else?

Soeren
JohnA
2019-05-25 16:13:18 UTC
His RCA and Columbia recordings.
Bozo
2019-05-25 16:39:20 UTC
Perhaps his Rubinstein PC # 4 , Henselt PC, Liszt "Totentanz" with orchestra I believe Lewenthal embellished himself, Scriabin Op.11 Preludes his perhaps the first lp recording of that set, some Chopin.
Russ (not Martha)
2019-05-25 17:09:23 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Anyone know what the cd’s are likely to contain? Alkan, I suppose, but what else?
Perhaps his Rubinstein PC # 4 , Henselt PC, Liszt "Totentanz" with orchestra I believe Lewenthal embellished himself, Scriabin Op.11 Preludes his perhaps the first lp recording of that set, some Chopin.
The Scriabin Preludes were recorded for Westminster.

His Alkan program and the 'Hexacameron' were reissued im RCA's 'High Performance' series.

The new box will probably contain the finale of the Scharwenka PC #2 and Liszt's Reminiscences of 'Norma'. I can't figure how what he recorded for RCA and Columbia would run to 6 CD's.

Russ (not Martha)
JohnGavin
2019-05-25 18:12:50 UTC
Here is the description for the American release of his complete RCA and Columbia recordings:

Description
''In his own words, Raymond Lewenthal was an ''octave thrower, long-distance arpeggioer and general producer of volcanic rumbles''. This hugely talented, extroverted pianist was also a key figure in the revival of a great deal of 19th-century piano music, most of all that of Charles-Valentin Alkan. Sony Classical's new 6-CD collection of Lewenthal's complete recordings for RCA and Columbia Masterworks celebrates this maverick pianist's recorded legacy, with three LPs of material specially remastered from the analogue tapes. Its release comes thirty years after Lewenthal's death in November 1988.
Both a showman and a scholar, Lewenthal was born in San Antonio, Texas, in 1923, working as a child movie actor in Hollywood before beginning formal piano study at the age of 15. His teachers included Olga Samaroff and Alfred Cortot. Though his early career in the US flourished after a debut with Dmitri Mitropoulos and the Philadelphia Orchestra in 1948, he withdrew from public performance a few years later after being attacked in Central Park. By the time he returned to concertizing in the 1960s, he had become a champion of Alkan's, much of whose music he edited for publication.
His enthusiasm for obscure Romantic repertoire was not limited to Alkan. He revived Adolf von Henselt's little-known Piano Concerto in F minor, a spectacularly difficult work, recording it with Sir Charles Mackerras and the LSO alongside his own version of Liszt's Totentanz. ''The sheer virtuoso bravura of it all is dazzling'', wrote Gramophone. With the same orchestra and conductor Eleazar de Carvalho, he also recorded Anton Rubinstein's Fourth Piano Concerto in D minor, and the dazzling finale to Franz Xaver Scharwenka's Second Concerto in C minor.
Two albums of Alkan's solo piano music are a fitting tribute to Lewenthal's obsession; they include his Symphonie, Grande Sonatine and many studies and miniatures. ''Raymond Lewenthal measures up to Alkan's fearsome demands with expressive gusto'', wrote BBC Music Magazine one visionary eccentric pianist channeling the spirit of another. Lewenthal also recorded the Hexaméron, a work written collaboratively by five pianists and put together by Liszt, and now receiving its first CD release Liszt's Réminiscences de Norma (''a revelation'' Gramophone).
One final CD shows another, no less significant side to Lewenthal: several recordings of him discussing works collected here at the keyboard, again never before released on disc. This vital, vivacious communicator ''a kind of Romantic idol'', The New York Times remarked still has a lot to say to us today, about a repertoire that continues to benefit from his passionate advocacy.''
weary flake
2019-05-25 19:47:51 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
[...]
There's a 7 inch in a sleeve glued to the front of one of his LPs,
talking about the pieces with sound samples. I forget which LP.

So the set won't include the Liszt / Thalberg LP (Angel Records)
sort of recreating the Liszt / Thalberg "dual". But Lewenthal
hated the Niobe piece, so he substituted it with something else
by Liszt.
JohnA
2019-05-25 19:57:19 UTC
Post by weary flake
There's a 7 inch in a sleeve glued to the front of one of his LPs,
talking about the pieces with sound samples. I forget which LP.
All three of his Columbia Lps came with 7" discussion discs:

MS 7252 - BTS 7 - Raymond Lewenthal discusses & illustrates the Henselt Piano Concerto & Liszt Totentanz

MS 7394 - BTS 20 - Raymond Lewenthal discussions & Illustrates the Rubinstein Piano Concerto No. 4 & the finale of the Scharwenka Piano Concerto No. 2

M 30234 - BTS 24 - Raymond Lewenthal Discusses & Illustrates at the Keyboard - Raymond Lewenthal probes the wildly original highly audacious grotesquely humorous daringly adventures touching lyrical & strangely beautiful music of Charles Valentin Alkan
Hank Drake
2019-05-25 20:26:59 UTC
The RCA recordings:

The Operatic Liszt:
Hexameron
Reminiscences de Norma

Piano Music of Alkan:
Le Festin D’Esope
Barcarolle
Quasi-Faust
Symphonie

The Columbia recordings:

Grotesqueries of Alkan
Funeral March for a Papagallo

Henselt: Piano Concerto in F minor
Liszt: Totentanz
London Symphony Orchestra
Charles Mackerras, conductor

Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No. 4 in D minor
Scharwenka: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor (last movement)
London Symphony Orchestra
Eleazar De Carvalho, conductor

Hank
Bozo
2019-05-25 18:17:57 UTC
Correct ; my error. May also have been his first commercial recording ?
Steven de Mena
2019-06-09 14:44:24 UTC
DG has released two CDs of his Westminster recordings.
Frank Berger
2019-06-11 06:15:04 UTC
Really? Can you clarify please?
John Fowler
2019-06-11 12:34:50 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Legacy-10-Box-Set/dp/B005B0YURI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QFZQ2GBQCAX2&keywords=the+liszt+legacy&qid=1560256318&s=music&sprefix=liszt+legacy%2Caps%2C151&sr=1-1

CDs 5 + 6 of this 10 CD box are devoted to Raymond Lewenthal's Westminster recordings from the 1950s.
Frank Berger
OK this has been mentioned. I was hoping for something new.
HT
2019-11-08 16:27:25 UTC
Post by Steven de Mena
DG has released two CDs of his Westminster recordings.
It turns out that I already had the set ("The Liszt Legacy"). Lewenthal performs the Scriabin Preludes Op. 11 and 74, the Scriabin Fantasia Op. 28 and 72, Greensleeves (his arr.), Saint-Saens/Godowsky Le Cygne, Mendelssohn/Liszt Auf Flügeln des Gesanges, Rachmaninoff/Lewenthal Op. 21/7, and toccatas by Schumann, Alkan, Czerny, Della Ciaia, Bach, Prokofiev, Debussy, Ravel, Zhelobynski, Lewenthal, Menotti, Rubinstein Romance, Massenet Elégie, Schuber/Liszt Ständchen, Debussy Claire de Lune, Liszt Liebestraum.

Henk

John Fowler
2019-05-25 23:31:19 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Raymond-Lewenthal-Complete-Columbia-Collection/dp/B07FSX3CQM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ASIN%3A+B07FSX3CQM&qid=1558826821&s=gateway&sr=8-1

ASIN: B07FSX3CQM
Bozo
2019-05-25 23:53:46 UTC
Some additional live Lewenthal that may be of interest :

Raymond Lewenthal's 10/30/1951 Carnegie Hall recital.

Scarlatti – 3 Sonatas: C major, K.132 (L.457) E minor, K.198 (L.22) C major, K.159 (L.104)
Beethoven - Sonata No.30, E major,Op.109
Hummel: Variations on Aramide
Liszt: Sonata in B minor
Ravel: Sonatine
Chopin: Polonaise-Fantasie, Ab major, Op.61
Prokofiev: Toccata, Op.11
Encores:
Beethoven: Fur Elise
Moszkowski: Etude, F major, Op.72, No.6
Chopin: Nocturne, F# major, Op.15, No.2
Dohnanyi: Capriccio, F minor, Op.28, No.6

At the Frick Collection, March 3,1974:

Field - Nocturne No. 9
Weber - Rondo Brilliante op. 62
Schumann - Symphonic Etudes op. 13
Chopin - Nocturne op. 15 No. 1
Chopin - Polonaises op. 40
Alkan - La Vision op. 63 No. 1
Alkan - Le Tambour bat aux Champs op. 50 No. 2
Liszt - Ballade No. 2
Donizetti/Liszt - Marche Funebre from "Dom Sebastien"
Grieg - An der Wiege op. 68 No. 5
Bach - Prelude No. 3 from WTC l - continuously leading to:
Chopin - Etude op. 10 No. 4

Other live recitals are at YT.

The 50's all-Scriabin Westminster lp mentioned earlier in this thread, not sure if at YT:

Fantasie,Op.28
Vers La Flamme, Op. 72
Five Last Preludes, Op. 74
Twenty-four Preludes, Op. 11

I have an mp3 of the Frick recital through the Liszt Ballade , Columbia Henselt/Liszt lp, Elan Liszt “Hexameron”/ Alkan cd, and the Westminster lp. Suffice to say,I enjoy the 2 later studio recordings, some of the Westminster, but not the live.
Not a Dentist
2019-05-26 04:38:56 UTC
Many may recall (or be surprised to learn) that the Scriabin and other Westminster items are included on two of the CDs in "The Liszt Legacy" from DG.
s***@hotmail.com
2019-05-27 19:09:10 UTC
Thanks the many positive replies. Looks like an interesting compilation.

Soeren
Hank Drake
2019-06-20 19:18:57 UTC
Amazon is now showing this will be eight discs, not six. I've heard through the grapevine this will include previously unreleased studio recordings of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage, Switzerland and Italy selections. The set will also include Lewenthal speaking about the music - which was included as a bonus on some of the original LPs.

American release now shows October 25.

Hank
John Fowler
2019-06-21 11:16:30 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
Amazon is now showing this will be eight discs, not six. I've heard through the grapevine this will include previously unreleased studio recordings of Liszt's Années de pèlerinage, Switzerland and Italy selections. The set will also include Lewenthal speaking about the music - which was included as a bonus on some of the original LPs.
American release now shows October 25.
Hank
Very good news. I note that the pre-order price on Amazon is still $31.98 which is a real bargain for 8 CDs.
I would advises everyone to pre-order it before the price goes up.
f***@gmail.com
I did, on June 20. Amazon canceled my order today.
vhorowitz
2019-08-04 21:20:21 UTC
Apparently there have been various problems with some of the unissued material that was to be included, so the contents of the set may have to be changed, perhaps after things were printed and ready to go? Not my place to get into details without permission to do so.
Frank Berger
2019-08-04 23:38:12 UTC
Thank you.
drh8h
2019-10-27 15:37:56 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Apparently there have been various problems with some of the unissued material that was to be included, so the contents of the set may have to be changed, perhaps after things were printed and ready to go? Not my place to get into details without permission to do so.
The long wait is over. It arrived this morning. Will start dipping into it and repertory that for the most part I have never heard in 50 years of listening. This my first ever exposure to Lewenthal. Certainly an odd and interesting bio, if nothing else. Didn't start serious lessons until he was fifteen.

DH
Frank Berger
2019-10-27 16:54:04 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by vhorowitz
Apparently there have been various problems with some of the unissued material that was to be included, so the contents of the set may have to be changed, perhaps after things were printed and ready to go? Not my place to get into details without permission to do so.
The long wait is over. It arrived this morning. Will start dipping into it and repertory that for the most part I have never heard in 50 years of listening. This my first ever exposure to Lewenthal. Certainly an odd and interesting bio, if nothing else. Didn't start serious lessons until he was fifteen.
DH
Amazon tells me I will receive the Lewenthal on Tuesday. Next up, the
Walter and Monteux boxes.
Hank Drake
2019-10-28 11:41:53 UTC
I received the set Saturday and have already begun listening. Aside from the Grotesqueries of Alkan and The Operatic Liszt albums, these recordings are new to me. Some astonishing playing to be heard.

Hank
Bozo
2019-10-28 12:50:51 UTC
I think his may have been the first lp recording of the complete Scriabin Op.11 Preludes (?).
Bozo
2019-10-28 18:03:34 UTC
I think his may have been the first lp recording of the complete Scriabin Op.11 Preludes (?).
But on Westminster, not RCA or Columbia.
Frank Berger
2019-10-28 21:46:55 UTC
Released on DG
HT
2019-10-28 15:55:17 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
I received the set Saturday and have already begun listening. Aside from the Grotesqueries of Alkan and The Operatic Liszt albums, these recordings are new to me. Some astonishing playing to be heard.
Hank
How is the sound?

Henk
Hank Drake
2019-10-28 17:08:32 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Hank Drake
I received the set Saturday and have already begun listening. Aside from the Grotesqueries of Alkan and The Operatic Liszt albums, these recordings are new to me. Some astonishing playing to be heard.
Hank
How is the sound?
Henk
First a correction of my earlier post: the recordings I'd heard before were the RCA Piano music of Alkan and The Operatic Liszt - the latter of which I've had on LP since I was a teenager.

I have now listened to all of the solo recordings in the new set, and will get to the concertos starting tonight. Sound on the solo recordings is quite good - a bit dry as was usual for RCA and Columbia recordings of that era. The Funeral March for a Pappagallo sounds like it was spot-miked and the superwide stereo image is very unnatural for what is essentially a chamber piece.

That said, Lewenthal's playing is every bit as brilliant as I remembered it. I'm very impressed with the two Years of Pilgrimage discs - issued for the first time.

Despite its relatively small size, this may well be the most significant piano box set of 2019.

Hank
HT
2019-10-28 17:32:30 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
First a correction of my earlier post: the recordings I'd heard before were the RCA Piano music of Alkan and The Operatic Liszt - the latter of which I've had on LP since I was a teenager.
I have now listened to all of the solo recordings in the new set, and will get to the concertos starting tonight. Sound on the solo recordings is quite good - a bit dry as was usual for RCA and Columbia recordings of that era. The Funeral March for a Pappagallo sounds like it was spot-miked and the superwide stereo image is very unnatural for what is essentially a chamber piece.
That said, Lewenthal's playing is every bit as brilliant as I remembered it. I'm very impressed with the two Years of Pilgrimage discs - issued for the first time.
Despite its relatively small size, this may well be the most significant piano box set of 2019.
Thanks! Good to hear that the sound isn't a problem.

2019-10-31 00:25:12 UTC
My Lewenthal arrived today, Wednesday.

Next box in queue is Ansermet, but we'll see come the weekend...
t***@hotmail.com
2019-10-31 06:02:35 UTC
Post by number_six
Next box in queue is Ansermet
Really ?

Where did you know ?
number_six
2019-10-31 23:55:56 UTC
Post by t***@hotmail.com
Post by number_six
Next box in queue is Ansermet
Really ?
Where did you know ?
I wasn't referring to a new or pending release.

By queue, I meant my own items-in-waiting, that is, already purchased but not yet listened to -- in this case, the Decca box of French Music conducted by Ansermet. Sorry if I raised expectations for a new set.
John Fowler
2019-09-29 20:09:43 UTC
Lewenthal box scheduled for October 25 release date.
Amazn.de has photo of the back of the box + track list.
CD 8 is entirely devoted to musical analyses by Lewenthal.

https://www.amazon.de/Raymond-Lewenthal-Complete-Rca-Columbia/dp/B07FSX3CQM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asin%3A+b07fsx3cqm&qid=1569787512&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Frank Berger
2019-09-29 20:16:31 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Lewenthal box scheduled for October 25 release date.
Amazn.de has photo of the back of the box + track list.
CD 8 is entirely devoted to musical analyses by Lewenthal.
https://www.amazon.de/Raymond-Lewenthal-Complete-Rca-Columbia/dp/B07FSX3CQM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asin%3A+b07fsx3cqm&qid=1569787512&s=gateway&sr=8-1
I will never get over that Amazon can not figure out how to list the
composers in their track listings. It's not like this is a new thing,
or that no one has ever pointed it out to them.
number_six
2019-09-29 20:29:44 UTC
great news; amazon marketplace seller moviemars cancelled my earlier order, I'm still watching for this to be released.
Frank Berger
Amazon US is listing it. About $30 for Prime members.
t***@hotmail.com
2019-09-29 23:15:45 UTC
CD6 : Liszt/ Années de pèlerinage: Premiere année, Suisse (Dec.1966, NY)

CD7 : Liszt/ Annees de Pelegrinage Deuxieme Annee, Italie (Mar.& June 1966, NY)

https://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_%E3%83%94%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8E%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81%E9%9B%86_000000000017977/item_%E3%83%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%83%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%83%BB%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B4%E3%82%A7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%EF%BC%8F%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88RCA%EF%BC%86%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%83%93%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BB%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%90%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B3%E3%83%AC%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3%EF%BC%888CD%EF%BC%89_10281476
John Fowler
2019-10-30 20:43:34 UTC
Embarrassing excerpt from Raymond Lewnthal's program notes for the Henselt Concerto (published 1969): "A Romantic revival? Take a look around. Jules Verne's romantic imaginings have come true. We are on the moon. Look at the young. Where are the antiseptic "modern" crew cuts of a few years ago? Long hair, fantastic getups, 19th century beards and moustaches and sideburns are the order of the day."
He had a point: I certainly did not have an antiseptic crew cut in 1969. My haircut was pretty septic.
drh8h
2019-10-30 23:51:41 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Embarrassing excerpt from Raymond Lewnthal's program notes for the Henselt Concerto (published 1969): "A Romantic revival? Take a look around. Jules Verne's romantic imaginings have come true. We are on the moon. Look at the young. Where are the antiseptic "modern" crew cuts of a few years ago? Long hair, fantastic getups, 19th century beards and moustaches and sideburns are the order of the day."
He had a point: I certainly did not have an antiseptic crew cut in 1969. My haircut was pretty septic.
No, the Rubinstein/Scharwenka is where you find it. I tried reading all those notes with a magnifying glass, but gave up before I got to that one!

Dennis
John Fowler
Thanks for the correction. I have found that the best way to read miniature program notes is to scan it into my computer's memory then enlarge it and print it on paper.
drh8h
2019-10-31 12:33:46 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by drh8h
Post by John Fowler
Embarrassing excerpt from Raymond Lewnthal's program notes for the Henselt Concerto (published 1969): "A Romantic revival? Take a look around. Jules Verne's romantic imaginings have come true. We are on the moon. Look at the young. Where are the antiseptic "modern" crew cuts of a few years ago? Long hair, fantastic getups, 19th century beards and moustaches and sideburns are the order of the day."
He had a point: I certainly did not have an antiseptic crew cut in 1969. My haircut was pretty septic.
No, the Rubinstein/Scharwenka is where you find it. I tried reading all those notes with a magnifying glass, but gave up before I got to that one!
Thanks for the correction. I have found that the best way to read miniature program notes is to scan it into my computer's memory then enlarge it and print it on paper.
Maybe I should get a decent scanner! Good tip. In any event, Lewenthal himself was a period piece, liner notes or no.

Dennis
Bozo
2019-10-31 13:43:58 UTC
Great cover photo on my lp of his Liszt,Henselt : https://tinyurl.com/yxquyq9p
Frank Berger
2019-10-31 13:45:42 UTC
Post by drh8h
In any event, Lewenthal himself was a period piece, liner notes or no.
Great cover photo on my lp of his Liszt,Henselt : https://tinyurl.com/yxquyq9p
Guys....Can we try to keep these posts in the newsgroup and out of
e-mail? Thanks.
Bozo
2019-10-31 13:50:17 UTC
?? Whose posts ??
Frank Berger
2019-10-31 13:53:49 UTC
Guys....Can we try to keep these posts in the newsgroup and out of
e-mail? Thanks.
?? Whose posts ??
All of the recent posts in the Lewenthal thread (including my own) are
appearing in my e-mail. Is it just me?
Bozo
2019-10-31 15:11:36 UTC
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Frank Berger
2019-10-31 15:35:46 UTC
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
c***@gmail.com
2019-10-31 17:54:58 UTC
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
Or it could be that when you posted to the thread, you forgot to uncheck the box next to "Email updates to me." I do that from time to time, and it can get very annoying when a thread is prolonged or reactivated by multi-g.

2019-10-31 18:18:12 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
Or it could be that when you posted to the thread, you forgot to uncheck the box next to "Email updates to me." I do that from time to time, and it can get very annoying when a thread is prolonged or reactivated by multi-g.
AC
I don't ever recall seeing such an option. Where is it?
c***@gmail.com
2019-10-31 19:36:56 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
Or it could be that when you posted to the thread, you forgot to uncheck the box next to "Email updates to me." I do that from time to time, and it can get very annoying when a thread is prolonged or reactivated by multi-g.
AC
I don't ever recall seeing such an option. Where is it?
When I post to RMCR via Google Groups on Chrome the check box appears directly above the editing box. I guess that each interface has its own feature set.

2019-10-31 18:28:37 UTC
I suspect so as none are appearing in my email.
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
It's just you, Frank. Check your Thunderbird settings.

2019-10-31 20:03:12 UTC
Ok. Must be a Thunderbird thing. Very annoying.
Start drinking cheap shiraz instead of Thunderbird: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ranking-the-top-5-bum-win_b_4610498
Al Eisner
2019-11-02 22:04:50 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by John Fowler
Post by drh8h
Post by John Fowler
[...]
The free ScannerPro app does a decent job, limited by the user's ability
to hold the phone still and properly oriented.
Hank Drake
2019-11-05 13:22:32 UTC
I've been listening to the set on-and-off for the last week. The two Alkan CDs contain some of the best playing of that composer's music I've heard. Lewenthal is fully on top of the virtuosic aspects the Symphony for solo piano, brings delightful washes of color to the rather unusual harmonies of Les Soupirs, and captures the composer's rather sardonic humor.

Lewenthal convincingly combines the standard version of Liszt's Totentanz with an earlier version. And the two "new" Liszt discs have some remarkable playing - particularly Orage and Bells of Geneva. He's also able to make the Dante Sonata sound more substantial than many.

Hank
HT
2019-11-05 14:09:53 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
The two Alkan CDs contain some of the best playing of that composer's music I've heard. Lewenthal is fully on top of the virtuosic aspects the Symphony for solo piano, brings delightful washes of color to the rather unusual harmonies of Les Soupirs, and captures the composer's rather sardonic humor.
Seconded! I'm also an admirer of his Henselt concerto.

2019-11-05 15:16:38 UTC
As you know, reportedly Henselt taught both Rachmaninoff's father and Zevrev, Rachmaninoff's teacher, and I believe Rachmaninoff recorded one of Henselt's Etudes. The wide-ranging left-hand arpeggios in the Henselt PC do remind one of some of Rachmaninoff's writing.
Hank Drake
2019-11-05 17:30:38 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Hank Drake
The two Alkan CDs contain some of the best playing of that composer's music I've heard. Lewenthal is fully on top of the virtuosic aspects the Symphony for solo piano, brings delightful washes of color to the rather unusual harmonies of Les Soupirs, and captures the composer's rather sardonic humor.
Seconded! I'm also an admirer of his Henselt concerto.
Henk
Agreed. The Henselt is a fine concerto which should be performed more often.

Hank
Bozo
2019-11-05 21:21:26 UTC
(Lewenthal recording with score ).

From the YT poster :

“"Robert Schumann wrote glowingly about the concerto, and his wife Clara rushed to perform it shortly after its publication. Liszt and Hans von Bülow, too, would play it passionately. [...]
Liszt accomplished the unheard of: to sight-read the F minor concerto in a rehearsal in Leipzig from its manuscript. Henselt proceeded to record this event therein, adding that this feat never was nor ever will be equalled by anyone. Of such difficulty was the concerto that not even the composer felt satisfied with his own rendition and never publicly performed it." [translated from German]
- Marie Lipsius: Musikalische Studienköpfe. Vol 3 Ch. 2.
https://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/musikalische-studienkopfe-dritter-band-jungstvergangenheit-6958/2

Lewenthal adds a few octaves of his own at the very end of first mov.Not my fav Romantic PC by far, but agree worth hearing ( and seeing ,eg.second mov. at 15:22 on ! ).No need for a cadenza ; what was left to be said ?!