WAYLTL - September,2019
2019-09-05 20:14:03 UTC
Had not head these in my collection for awhile, glad I listened today. Pianist Boren has recorded the 2 Vine works on an Enharmonic cd I have, here he and another pianist both live; my Lilburn the YT Poynton recording on a download I purchased ; my Williamson on a complete Hyperion cd set of his piano concerti played by Piers Lane, here a recording with the composer as soloist.

Carl Vine (Australia):

( “Anne Landa “ Preludes )

(Piano Sonata No.3 )

Douglas Lilburn (New Zealand ) :

Piano Sonata No.1

Malcolm Williamson (Australia):

Piano Concerto No. 2

( “ Surprising “ slow mov. given rest of the work )
Bozo
2019-09-05 23:03:15 UTC
Pianist Hillary Demske,AlbanyRecords cd of piano music of Henry Martin, "New Fugue" here, entire cd at YT :

Jonathan Moser,cello,Paul Rivinius,piano,Frank Bridge's amazing Cello Sonata ( virtuoso piano part, too ) , rest of Haenssler Classics -SWR cd of Sonata at YT:

Bozo
2019-09-06 12:53:20 UTC
Roberto Gerhard's Violin Concerto ( 1942-43 ) cd, the work continues to grow on me.
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Colin Davis, conductor
Yfrah Neaman, violin
c***@gmail.com
2019-09-06 13:41:42 UTC
Roberto Gerhard's Violin Concerto ( 1942-43 ) cd, the work continues to grow on me.
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Colin Davis, conductor
Yfrah Neaman, violin
Ditto, and that's a really fine performance. I've been on another search for obscure settings of Lamentations for Holy Week. I'm looking forward to the new Peñalosa recording by New York Polyphony, due for imminent release on Bis. While poking around at Presto (where I found the best price for the Bis CD), I "discovered" a setting by Joan Baptista Comes, who flourished in Valencia during the first half of the 17th century. Downloadable here: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8001231--comes-lamentationes-jeremiae-prophetae. Lovely settings (mainly for Holy Thursday, with some for Good Friday), beautifully performed. Next up: a setting by late 15th-century composer, probably from Catalan, named Bernhard Ycart, from this download: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8013923--lamentio.

AC
Lawrence Chalmers
2019-09-07 23:02:28 UTC
Had not head these in my collection for awhile, glad I listened today. Pianist Boren has recorded the 2 Vine works on an Enharmonic cd I have, here he and another pianist both live; my Lilburn the YT Poynton recording on a download I purchased ; my Williamson on a complete Hyperion cd set of his piano concerti played by Piers Lane, here a recording with the composer as soloist.
http://youtu.be/fFqJKPg2yaE ( “Anne Landa “ Preludes )
http://youtu.be/ADx3tZ0yxr0 (Piano Sonata No.3 )
Piano Sonata No.1
http://youtu.be/nxQth3dru_I
http://youtu.be/YSnwn1LUpnE
http://youtu.be/dMmsWgG8S8Y
Piano Concerto No. 2
http://youtu.be/C0owk-BgiA8 ( “ Surprising “ slow mov. given rest of the work )
CD1 Debussy Preludes books 1 and 2 by Alain Planes on Harmonia Mundi part of complete works. There are so many fine performances of the Debussy works and this ranks among my favorites. The next cd in the set I will listen to tomorrow. It features the Etudes which I've had a hard time warming up to.
Bozo
2019-09-10 20:44:58 UTC
Rautavaara's Violin Concerto ( 1976-77), Elmar Oliviera, Leif Segerstam,Helsinki Phil, my Ondine cd recorded with the composer present. Should be heard more often, I had neglected it for too long.

Brahms Piano Quartet No. 3, Op.60,Jorg Demus, Barylli Quartet, apparently a 1956 Westminster lp to a Universal Victor cd, one of my fav Brahms works, great performance here despite YT sound. I dont have the cd:

Bozo
2019-09-10 22:38:50 UTC
Villa-Lobos, complete music for solo guitar,Norbert Kraft,Naxos.Sine qua non for me.
number_six
2019-09-11 01:11:31 UTC
Villa-Lobos, complete music for solo guitar,Norbert Kraft,Naxos.Sine qua non for me.
Kraft is excellent. I admit I imprinted on Bream for the Villa-Lobos Five Preludes. I think it was the Westminster recording, but i had a vinyl reissue on the Sine qua non label -- oddly enough! Eventually got them on CD.
Bozo
2019-09-11 23:23:34 UTC
Today :

Karen Walwyn's " Reflections on 9-11 ", for solo piano, the composer as pianist, Albany cd in my collection :

https://tinyurl.com/y4etzymd

George Lloyd's 3rd Piano Concerto,Kathryn Stott, pianist, the composer conducting BBC Phil, my Albany cd:

Bozo
2019-09-16 17:08:46 UTC
Some brief recordings of George Copeland :

http://arbiterrecords.org/lifting-the-lid-on-debussys-canope/
Bozo
2019-09-16 20:59:32 UTC
http://arbiterrecords.org/lifting-the-lid-on-debussys-canope/
George Copeland plays his transcription of Debussy’s “ Prélude à L'après-midi d'un Faune”, recorded 1933, label RCA ? :

AB
2019-09-17 15:40:08 UTC
http://arbiterrecords.org/lifting-the-lid-on-debussys-canope/
http://youtu.be/Yn2FbXvsvKE
hmve you heard Grosvenor's version, from a concert?

AB
HT
2019-09-17 18:59:23 UTC
Poulenc. Most of his piano music by several pianists - as well as several concertos. Poulenc is one of the very few composers who never bores me.

2019-09-17 20:52:12 UTC
Poulenc. Most of his piano music by several pianists - as well as several concertos. Poulenc is one of the >very few composers who never bores me.
Largely agree.

To my knowledge, first Poulenc I heard was his Piano Concerto ( for solo piano ) played by Ozan Marsh,pianist, with NY Phil,Andre Kostelanetz conductor, live at then Philharmonic Hall, in NYC,Summer 1964, when I was 16. Couple recent lives I enjoyed,fww:

Francis Poulenc : Élégie en accords alternés, pour 2 pianos - Capriccio (d'après Le bal masqué) - L'embarquement pour Cythère, for two pianos - Stephen Kovacevich,Margaret Fingerhut:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert-du-soir?id=2540842

Poulenc’s Cello Sonata , Edgar Moreau,David Kadouch , my first hearing:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert-de-l-apres-midi?id=2541658
Bozo
2019-09-18 00:52:45 UTC
Ignace Tiegerman,Chopin Op.20 Scherzo,4th Ballade, Barcarolle,3rd Sonata,Arbiter Records 2-cd set in my collection.Mon Dieu ! :

Steven Bornfeld
2019-09-16 19:41:48 UTC
Villa-Lobos, complete music for solo guitar,Norbert Kraft,Naxos.Sine qua non for me.
Kraft is indeed very good. His talents as a guitarist have sometimes
been overshadowed by his work as a producer of Naxos's guitar
collection. Many of recordings in this series have been criticized for
their "dry" sound. Certainly, for anyone used to listening to the
recordings of Segovia or Bream, these recordings do seem dry (I think
the Bream recording of the HVL Prelues mentioned by Number Six may have
been the very first classical guitar recording I ever bought).
Personally, I've come to prefer less reverb for much of the repertoire.

Steve
Lawrence Chalmers
2019-09-17 17:44:44 UTC
Had not head these in my collection for awhile, glad I listened today. Pianist Boren has recorded the 2 Vine works on an Enharmonic cd I have, here he and another pianist both live; my Lilburn the YT Poynton recording on a download I purchased ; my Williamson on a complete Hyperion cd set of his piano concerti played by Piers Lane, here a recording with the composer as soloist.
http://youtu.be/fFqJKPg2yaE ( “Anne Landa “ Preludes )
http://youtu.be/ADx3tZ0yxr0 (Piano Sonata No.3 )
Piano Sonata No.1
http://youtu.be/nxQth3dru_I
http://youtu.be/YSnwn1LUpnE
http://youtu.be/dMmsWgG8S8Y
Piano Concerto No. 2
http://youtu.be/C0owk-BgiA8 ( “ Surprising “ slow mov. given rest of the work )
Guilty pleasure: a lot of electronic music by Klaus Schulze, especially his earlier ventures fron various volumes in the "La Vie Electronique" series.