BBC Radio 3 Beethoven Piano Sonata series
Dufus
2011-12-03 23:43:34 UTC
BBC Radio 3 Beethoven Piano Sonatas series starts week of Dec.5. All
32 over 3 weeks, 6 pianists, I believe live although not clear. First
up Barry Douglas ( "Waldstein" ) , Llyr Williams ( "Les Aideux" ) ,
and Katia Buniatishvili ( "Tempest" and "Appassionata" ) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017x77g

Dufus
Dufus
2011-12-08 14:00:09 UTC
On Dec 3, 5:43 pm, Dufus <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Barry Douglas did a great job with Op.101 ( No.28 ) this am. FYI,
Katia Buniatishvili plays "Tempest" and "Appassionata" tomorrow am,
Friday , a chance to re-assess some less than favorable impressions
I've had previously. I do cross my fingers for her, and for the piano.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017x77g

Dufus
CharlesSmith
2011-12-09 20:01:01 UTC
On Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:00:09 PM UTC, Dufus wrote:

......... FYI,
Post by Dufus
Katia Buniatishvili plays "Tempest" and "Appassionata" tomorrow am,
Friday , a chance to re-assess some less than favorable impressions
I've had previously. I do cross my fingers for her, and for the piano.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017x77g
Dufus
Enjoyed this immensely, never a dull moment. The instrument appeared to be in some pain occasionally, but never mind.

Charles
Dufus
2011-12-09 20:16:53 UTC
Post by CharlesSmith
Enjoyed this immensely, never a dull moment. The instrument appeared to be in some pain occasionally, but never mind.
Agreed, and pleasantly surprised. In fact , all 3 this week, Douglas,
Williams,Buniatishvili have been great, chosen I think to represent 3
"generations" , although Douglas hardly old.

Next week, Angelich, Williams, and Wosner.

Dufus
laraine
2011-12-15 02:01:42 UTC
Post by Dufus
Barry Douglas did a great job with Op.101 ( No.28 ) this am. FYI,
Katia Buniatishvili plays "Tempest" and "Appassionata" tomorrow am,
Friday , a chance to re-assess some less than favorable impressions
I've had previously. I do cross my fingers for her, and for the piano.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017x77g
Dufus
I've finally caught up with the 1st week.
All the performances were very good, as
you say..

The Douglas concert you mention that also
included Op. 27/1 (quasi una fantasia 1) and
Op. 90, was excellent all the way through.
Those sonatas are deceptively "simple",
but it can hard to make them sound as
interesting as they should be.

And Buniatshvili does a wonderful job
with stormy 3rd movements -She sounds
very free and uninhibted. Her Tempest
last mov't was quite strong.

Some intense dramatic surprises in
Appassionata, but her technique could
use a little work, usually not a problem
for her. Those sonatas seemed to fit her
perfectly though.

The Llyr (Like King Lear, I guess) Adieux
and Douglas Waldstein were also memorable.
I see that Cliburn is quite astonishing
technically in Adieux, but others can make
the piece at least as touching.

C.
Dufus
2011-12-15 14:18:24 UTC
Post by laraine
The Llyr (Like King Lear, I guess) Adieux
and Douglas Waldstein were also memorable.
Do hear Williams this week in Op.14,22, and "Pastoral" ; extraordinary
playing. Have not heard Wosner yet.

Next week Leonskaya plays my fav Op.109 and Barry Douglas concludes
the series with the "Hammerklavier."

Dufus
Dufus
2011-12-20 13:48:41 UTC
On Dec 15, 8:18 am, Dufus <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Reminder : Leonskaya plays Op.109 and 111 this Thursday, Douglas the "
Hammerklavier " Friday.
Dufus
2011-12-22 14:04:42 UTC
Post by Dufus
Reminder : Leonskaya plays Op.109 and 111 this Thursday, Douglas the "
Hammerklavier " Friday.
Very strong playing by Leonskaja here. Does not supplant my fav early
Ashkenazy in Op.109, or early Brendel and Schnabel in Op.111, but well
worth the listen here.She released a cd of these 2 sonatas in 2010 on
the MD&G label ; anyone here heard that cd ? She has a large
discography.

Dufus
CharlesSmith
2011-12-22 20:10:31 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by Dufus
Reminder : Leonskaya plays Op.109 and 111 this Thursday, Douglas the "
Hammerklavier " Friday.
Very strong playing by Leonskaja here. Does not supplant my fav early
Ashkenazy in Op.109, or early Brendel and Schnabel in Op.111, but well
worth the listen here.She released a cd of these 2 sonatas in 2010 on
the MD&G label ; anyone here heard that cd ? She has a large
discography.
Dufus
Real heavyweight stuff, rather ponderous. I thought Op.109 suffered especially. Not to my taste.

Charles
laraine
2011-12-31 22:48:06 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by Dufus
Reminder : Leonskaya plays Op.109 and 111 this Thursday, Douglas the "
Hammerklavier " Friday.
Very strong playing by Leonskaja here. Does not supplant my fav early
Ashkenazy in Op.109, or early Brendel and Schnabel in Op.111, but well
worth the listen here.She released a cd of these 2 sonatas in 2010 on
the MD&G label ; anyone here heard that cd ? She has a large
discography.
Dufus
I guess I was looking for a sublime last mov't in
the Op. 109, and she didn't quite give that, but her
last variations were quite good. She seems like a
rather laid-back player, though not always. Didn't
know she was from Georgia, like Buniatshvili

C.
laraine
2011-12-31 22:46:18 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by laraine
The Llyr (Like King Lear, I guess) Adieux
and Douglas Waldstein were also memorable.
Do hear Williams this week in Op.14,22, and "Pastoral" ; extraordinary
playing. Have not heard Wosner yet.
I did hear these two, as well as the rest of
the series, and was pleased with the performances.

Most of the pianists seemed to try for a
quiet or profound performance, which often
worked well.

Sometimes I expect Beethoven to be a
little more playful, though. Angelich made
Op. 2 No. 2 sound downright humorous at times.
Maybe I've been taking that one too seriously.
His technique in Moonlight Sonata was quite
perfect too --he plays close to the piano,
though, which can sound unusual at times.

C.
Dufus
Dufus
2011-12-23 23:12:40 UTC
On Dec 3, 5:43 pm, Dufus <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Last installment was this am.

Barry Douglas' recital was great.

The G major 25th Sonata, Op.79, is another fav of mine , and I felt
Douglas proportioned,voiced, and paced it perfectly, not easy given
the brevity of the work.

He then gave a laid-back,romantic,lyrical,warm-toned,relaxed opening 3
movs. of "Hammerklavier" ( 20-minute slow mov.), maybe (?) a
momentary , brief memory slip near end of first mov and/or mid-
scherzo, but to no matter. He then conducted a very contrasting,
spirited march through the fugue seemingly without difficulties
audible to me, transparent, well-voiced, unforced playing, 10 minutes
for the whole !

Worth a listen; up a few days more at :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0185d9y#synopsis

He did record the "Hammerklavier" back on 1990 for RCA,cd still at
Amazon.

Dufus
laraine
2011-12-31 22:48:52 UTC
Post by Dufus
Last installment was this am.
Barry Douglas' recital was great.
 The G major 25th Sonata, Op.79, is another fav of mine , and I felt
Douglas proportioned,voiced, and paced it perfectly, not easy given
the brevity of the work.
He then gave a laid-back,romantic,lyrical,warm-toned,relaxed opening 3
movs. of "Hammerklavier" ( 20-minute slow mov.), maybe (?) a
momentary , brief memory slip near end of first mov and/or mid-
scherzo, but to no matter. He then conducted a very contrasting,
spirited march through the fugue seemingly without difficulties
audible to me, transparent, well-voiced, unforced playing, 10 minutes
for the whole !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0185d9y#synopsis
He did record the "Hammerklavier" back on 1990 for RCA,cd still at
Amazon.
Dufus
That was an incredible Op. 79 --Douglas is excellent
at making seemingly simple music sound like something
else altogether. Wish I had a recording of that one.

The Hammerklavier ending (fugue) was quite monumental,
though I thought he might have been too laid-back
during the rest.

C.
Dufus
2012-01-01 00:25:49 UTC
Post by laraine
That was an incredible Op. 79 --Douglas is excellent
at making seemingly simple music sound like something
else altogether. Wish I had a recording of that one.
The slow mov., short though it is, is sublime. I cant recall my
Schnabel, but it's one I think would be ideal for him.

Dufus
Dufus
2012-01-01 06:09:27 UTC
Post by Dufus
The slow mov., short though it is, is sublime. I cant recall my
Schnabel, but it's one I think would be ideal for him.
It is :

Dufus
2012-01-01 14:55:04 UTC
Post by laraine
That was an incredible Op. 79 --Douglas is excellent
at making seemingly simple music sound like something
else altogether. Wish I had a recording of that one.
Here are several Op.79 very attractively priced :

Pollini:
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Nos-Opp/dp/B000001GB4/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428257&sr=1-7

http://tinyurl.com/7ta4r74

Schnabel ( his "Waldstein" and "Appassionata" are also great ) :
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Waldstein-Appassionata/dp/B0002VEPNK/ref=sr_1_46?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428470&sr=1-46

http://tinyurl.com/7l646a2

Keene ( also includes the Griffes Piano Sonata ) :
http://www.amazon.com/Constance-Keene-Plays-Sonatas-Beethoven/dp/B000003BOP/ref=sr_1_84?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428570&sr=1-84

http://tinyurl.com/83p99s6

Jando:
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Vol-5/dp/B0000013LE/ref=sr_1_116_title_1_aud?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428755&sr=1-116

http://tinyurl.com/6syr5sp

Dufus
Alan Cooper
2012-01-01 17:34:49 UTC
Post by Dufus
Post by laraine
That was an incredible Op. 79 --Douglas is excellent
at making seemingly simple music sound like something
else altogether. Wish I had a recording of that one.
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Nos-Opp/dp/B000001G
B4/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428257&sr=1-7
http://tinyurl.com/7ta4r74
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Waldstein-Appassion
ata/dp/B0002VEPNK/ref=sr_1_46?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428470&sr=1
-46
http://tinyurl.com/7l646a2
http://www.amazon.com/Constance-Keene-Plays-Sonatas-Beethoven/dp/
B000003BOP/ref=sr_1_84?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428570&sr=1-84
http://tinyurl.com/83p99s6
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Vol-5/dp/B0000013LE
/ref=sr_1_116_title_1_aud?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325428755&sr=1-116
http://tinyurl.com/6syr5sp
I think you'd enjoy Andras Schiff's charming and informative spoken intro to the
work, in which he encourages children to play it: "much better than Czerny's
etudes":

http://download.guardian.co.uk/sys-audio/Arts/Culture/2006/12/05/04_25gmajop79.mp3

Schiff (ECM) is great in this piece, as is Kuerti. I wish one of the bloggers
would get to Kuerti's wonderful old Monitor LP, which includes his first recording
of it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KUERTI-beethoven-piano-sonatas-LP-vinyl-MCS-2075-VG-
/330519455353

AC
Dufus
2012-01-01 18:13:28 UTC
On Jan 1, 11:34 am, Alan Cooper <***@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

Thanks.Not finding Kuerti's Op.79 in single cd anywhere,yet.Schiff's
is available with a cd that also contains "Appassionata" and "Les
Aideux", $10 at Amazon US :

http://tinyurl.com/7usohyd

Dufus
laraine
2012-01-07 04:25:25 UTC
Post by laraine
That was an incredible Op. 79 --Douglas is excellent
at making seemingly simple music sound like something
else altogether. Wish I had a recording of that one.
Pollini:http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Nos-Opp/dp/B000001GB4/r...
http://tinyurl.com/7ta4r74
Schnabel ( his "Waldstein" and "Appassionata" are also great ) :http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Waldstein-Appassionata/...
http://tinyurl.com/7l646a2
Keene ( also includes the Griffes Piano Sonata ) :http://www.amazon.com/Constance-Keene-Plays-Sonatas-Beethoven/dp/B000...
http://tinyurl.com/83p99s6
Jando:http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Vol-5/dp/B0000013LE/ref...
http://tinyurl.com/6syr5sp
Dufus
Thanks for all the info. The Keene
includes a Hummel and Dussek sonata
too, comparatively rare, I suppose.. There
are so many Beethoven sonata recordings
available, incl. mp3 of whole sonatas.

Found this Barenboim of Op. 79 on
YouTube, quite good, though a bit of
a close up:

And here is Arrau doing another "easier"
sonata that is hard to make sound just
right, Op. 49 No. 1:

C.
Dufus
2012-01-07 14:21:33 UTC
On Jan 6, 10:25 pm, laraine <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Don't miss Schiff's "Diabelli" from this week on BBC Radio 3, still up
for listening a few days.