Staatskapelle Berlin - Great Recordings on DG
Add Reply
John Fowler
2020-02-11 20:07:02 UTC
Just announced on Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083XSHZ63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Release date April 3.
The Staatskapelle Berlin is also the pit orchestra of the Berlin Staatsoper (State Opera).
In the 1920s and ‘30s, the orchestra recorded for Polydor (predecessor of Deutsche Grammophon) and for the German branch of EMI.
Usually billed on record as the Berlin State Opera Orchestra - it was busier in the recording studio than the prestigious Berlin Philharmonic.

1899 -1913 Richard Strauss
1913 -1920 Leo Blech
1923 -1934 Erich Kleiber
1935 -1936 Clemens Krauss
1941 -1945 Herbert von Karajan
1948 -1951 Joseph Keilberth
1954 -1955 Erich Kleiber
1955 -1962 Franz Konwitschny
1964 -1990 Otmar Suitner
1992 - present Daniel Barenboim

Still waiting for full details
drh8h
Details at JPC https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/450-years-staatskapelle-berlin-great-recordings/hnum/9636141?lang=en
John Fowler
2020-02-12 13:14:21 UTC
I have about half of it already, but it still looks interesting.
Kind of annoyed at the incomplete opera recordings.
drh8h
2020-02-12 13:35:18 UTC
Post by John Fowler
I have about half of it already, but it still looks interesting.
Kind of annoyed at the incomplete opera recordings.
DG has a bad history of giving out dribs and drabs of things. On the Presto site, one can get the first two movements of the Freund/Davisson Beethoven Violin Concerto from 1938, not exactly a common item. Where is the finale? Once they gave us only the first movement of the Melichar Brandenburg 5. And when they do give complete works, it is often the same things over and over again. I see the upcoming Decca 90 has the same fault. With all the never-reissued material, yet again the Britten Serenade from 1944. A great recording, but I suspect most of us interested have multiple reissues of it! Any hope has to come Eloquence, I guess. Which I understand is preparing a complete set of the Munch recordings, transferred by Obert-Thorn. Now that is something to wait for!

DH
b***@gmail.com
2020-02-14 05:01:01 UTC
Beethoven Violin Concerto - K Freund Berliner Philharmoniker W Davisson 1938
avalable here https://easyupload.io/lhigqz for the next 7 days
drh8h
2020-02-15 05:38:02 UTC
Many thanks.
John Fowler
2020-06-15 15:19:07 UTC
Still waiting for DG to print the contents of this 15 CD box.
I took a chance and ordered it on US Amazon ($50) and am very happy with the finished product: 9 mono CDs, 6 stereo CDs + 182 page book.
No remastering info on monos. Stereo recordings were recorded in concert, most are newly released (at least on DG).
https://www.amazon.com/450-Jahre-Staatskapel-Staatskapelle-Berlin/dp/B083XSHZ63/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3SWPSPMYOV6S1&dchild=1&keywords=450+jahre+staatskapelle+berlin&qid=1592234058&sprefix=berlin+450%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

MONO:
Most of these were recorded on 78s by Polydor, and have been previously released on LP and CD by Deutsche Grammophon.
The Karajan 1944 Bruckner Symphony 8 finale was recorded on tape in experimental stereo by German Radio (the first three movements were recorded in mono, but are not in this box).
There are also German Radio recordings of three operas, conducted by Furtwängler (Tristan und Isolde Act 2), Keilberth (Macbeth Acts 1 & 2), and Konwitschny (Meistersinger Act 1).
My only real complaint with this box is that none of the operas is complete, and there are no texts and translations.

LEO BLECH:
--- Bizet: L'Arlesienne Suite No.2, Farandole - 1927
--- Bizet: Carmen, Prelude to Act I - 1928
--- Bizet: Carmen, Act 2 entr'acte - 1928
--- Bizet: Carmen, Act 3 entr’acte - 1916
--- Bizet: Carmen, Act 4 entr’acte - 1927
--- Mozart: Symphony No.34 - 1930
--- Mozart: Don Giovanni Overture - 1927
--- Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro Overture - 1916
--- Mozart: Idomeneo Ballet Music - 1931
--- Mozart: Masonic Funeral Music - 1929
--- Wagner: Das Rheingold: Entry of the Gods into Valhalla with Schorr, Henke, Guszalewicz - 1927
--- Wagner: Die Walkure: Wotan’s Farewell & Magic Fire Music with Friederich Schorr - 1927
--- Wagner: Siegfried: Forest Murmurs - 1928
WILHELM FURTWANGLER:
--- Wagner: Tristan und Isolde: Act 2 with Schlüter, Suthaus, Klose, Frick - 1947 (Act 1 is lost. Act 3 was also recorded - too bad it’s not here)
ROBERT HEGER:
--- Wolf-Ferrari: Il segreto di Susanna Overture - 1936
--- Reznicek: Donna Diana Overture - 1936
HERBERT VON KARAJAN:
--- Beethoven: Symphony No.7 - 1941
--- Bruckner: Symphony No.8, Finale - 1944 EXPERIMENTAL STEREO
--- Mozart: Die Zauberflöte Overture - 1938
--- Verdi: La Forza del Destino Overture - 1938
JOSEPH KEILBERTH:
---- Verdi: Macbeth: Acts 1, 2 with Mödl, Metternich – 1950 (sung in German)
PAUL VAN KEMPEN:
--- Weber: Der Freischütz Overture - 1939
ERICH KLEIBER:
--- Dvořák: Symphony No.9 'New World' - 1929
--- Smetana: Vltava from Má Vlast - 1928
--- Beethoven: Symphony No.5 - 1955 (recorded “live”, recorded during Kleiber’s second tenure as Kappelmeister)
OTTO KLEMPERER:
--- Beethoven: Coriolan Overture - 1927
--- Brahms: Symphony No.1 - 1928
--- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream Overture - 1927
--- R.Strauss: Salome, Dance of the Seven Veils - 1928
--- Weill: Kleine Dreigroschenmusik, four movements - 1931
FRANZ KONWITSCHNY:
--- Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Act 1 with Herrmann, Keplinger, Witte, Unger - 1955
PIETRO MASCAGNI:
--- Mascagni: Le Maschere Overture - 1927
SELMAR MEYROWITZ:
--- Nicolai: Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor Overture - 1929
KARL MUCK:
--- Wagner: Siegfried Idyll - 1929
HANS PFITZNER:
--- Pfitzner: Palestrina, Prelude to Act 1 - 1931
MAX VON SCHILLINGS:
--- Wagner: Der Fliegende Holländer Overture - 1927
--- Wagner: Parsifal, final scene - 1927
JOHANNES SCHULER:
--- Verdi: La Traviata, Preludes to Act 1, 3 - 1940
RICHARD STRAUSS:
--- Mozart: Symphony No.40 - 1927
--- R.Strauss: Don Quixote with Enrico Mainardi cello - 1933
--- R.Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel - 1929

STEREO:
These were recorded in concert by German Radio.
The only exception is two movements from a studio recording of Schubert’s Rosamunde conducted by Otmar Suitner, previously released on Denon.
Barenboim’s Bruckner Fifth Symphony was included in DG’s recent box of the complete Bruckner Symphonies with the Berlin Staatskapelle.
Everything else is new to CD (at least on Deutsche Grammophon).
One world premiere: Paul Dessau’s arrangement of Mozart’s String Quintet in E-flat major K.614 for full symphony orchestra in a surprisingly conservative orchestration.

DANIEL BARENBOIM:
--- Bruckner: Symphony No.5 - 2010
--- as pianist: Beethoven Piano Concerto No.3 with ZUBIN MEHTA conductor - 2012
--- as pianist: Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 with ZUBIN MEHTA conductor - 2012
PIERRE BOULEZ:
--- Mahler: Symphony No.6 - 2009
SERGIU CELIBIDACHE:
--- Brahms: Symphony No.4 - 1966
--- Dvořák: Slavonic Dance Op.46, No.8 - 1966
--- Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes by Carl Maria von Weber - 1966
MICHAEL GIELEN:
--- Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande - 1999
--- Schubert: Symphony No.8 'Unfinished' - 2001
OTMAR SUITNER:
--- Mozart: String Quintet K.614 orch. Dessau - 1975
--- Reger: Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Mozart - 1987
--- Schubert: Rosamunde: Overture, Entr'acte No.1 - 1987
drh8h
2020-06-16 12:30:46 UTC
Post by John Fowler
[...]
Remastering of the 78s is all new and performed by Chris Zwarg. A big improvement on most previous DG issues of 78s.

Dennis
vhorowitz
2020-06-16 22:15:49 UTC
That the transfers are an improvement over previous efforts on DG is true, but they sure have had a long distance to go to even reach an average level. Chris Zwarg’s work is extremely competent and allows us to hear a pretty good picture of the sonic range of the originals. However, IMHO, there’s far too much processing (noise reduction and de-clicking), resulting in sonic artifacts (aliasing) and blunted dynamics and attacks. I’ll still take it over the mess that has been DG’s in-house 78 transfers in recent times.
John Fowler
2020-06-15 18:23:21 UTC
Claarification: Still waiting for DG to print the contents of this 15 CD box ON THEIR WEBSITE.
What a mess.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-06-16 04:11:04 UTC
reviewed in the July Gramophone
John Fowler
2020-06-19 16:11:49 UTC
I wonder if anybody else had a playback problem with CD 14?
(Beethoven & Tchaikovsky Concerti with Barenboim piano and Mehta conducting)
My CD stopped playing at 5:20 of track 6 (Tchaikovsky finale) on three different machines.
Do I have a faulty CD or is the problem more general?

I have already arranged to return the whole 15 CD box to Amazon for replacement.
They don't do single disc replacements.
Wasteful policy.
msw design
Imagine the infrastructure you'd have to have to support anything else. If defective CDs are as rare as I expect, there's no other way to do it.
Invocation
Just tested my copy and it has no issue playing through the whole recording.
John Fowler
Thanks to all who responded. The fault is clearly with my CD only, so I will send the whole box to Amazon for replacement.
weary flake
2020-06-19 18:55:54 UTC
Post by John Fowler
I wonder if anybody else had a playback problem with CD 14?
(Beethoven & Tchaikovsky Concerti with Barenboim piano and Mehta conducting)
My CD stopped playing at 5:20 of track 6 (Tchaikovsky finale) on three different machines.
Do I have a faulty CD or is the problem more general?
I have already arranged to return the whole 15 CD box to Amazon for replacement.
They don't do single disc replacements.
Wasteful policy.
Did the CD have a visible defect? CDs usually have
a visual defect when they don't play through:
scratches on the label side, circular scratches,
glue, oily dirt. Rubbing alcohol usually works
to clean the dirt.

I have exchanged new box sets many times because of
sloppy manufacturing, typically circular scratches.
Tassilo
2020-06-20 03:23:15 UTC
I'd love to get my hands on that live Mahler 6 with Boulez, but I'm not going to buy this box just to get one performance. -Tassilo