Best turntables for under $300 (recent article)
2019-09-19 07:40:46 UTC
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-turntables-under-300-in-2019/
msw design
2019-09-19 15:25:31 UTC
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-turntables-under-300-in-2019/
Almost all pages like this offer criteria that is laughable in looking past the primary concern: sound quality. Put the same cartridge on each one and listen to see if the turntable offers fidelity and no motor noise. Record the output and compare blindly- can you tell them apart? And does the turntable reliably deliver the stated RPM? Then move on to the bells and whistles.
Jerry
2019-09-19 16:12:25 UTC
Spot-on.

Objective measures exist (viz. speed accuracy and stability) and
that’s critically important. Unbelievably, things we used to feel
were necessary, such as built-in stroboscopes and speed adjustment
and/or quartz-lock, no longer seem to matter to many manufacturers.

Jerry
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-20 06:23:48 UTC
Post by Jerry
Spot-on.
Objective measures exist (viz. speed accuracy and stability) and
that’s critically important. Unbelievably, things we used to feel
were necessary, such as built-in stroboscopes and speed adjustment
and/or quartz-lock, no longer seem to matter to many manufacturers.
Jerry
When it comes to standards going downhill:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.opera/dzwil--XU_8
msw design
2019-09-21 02:31:21 UTC
Post by Jerry
Spot-on.
Objective measures exist (viz. speed accuracy and stability) and
that’s critically important. Unbelievably, things we used to feel
were necessary, such as built-in stroboscopes and speed adjustment
and/or quartz-lock, no longer seem to matter to many manufacturers.
Jerry
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.opera/dzwil--XU_8
What the? I'm back to thinking you are a bot.