BERG...
MELMOTH
2021-04-05 18:39:23 UTC
I always loved Alban Berg...Especially the *Three Pieces for Orchestra*
(1915)...
(1915)...(And of course his Wozzzek, one of my favorite operas)...
I listened this day, for you, friends of RMCR the recordings of my
collection...

*Hans ROSBAUD* (Ades 1957) is the dean of the confrontation...Tension,
objectivity, rigor (like all that this great conductor
recorded)...Sound recording unfortunately too flat...

*Antal DORATI* (Mercury 1962)...Violent, wild and incisive
colors...Electrifying dramatic power...

*Pierre BOULEZ* (Montaigne 1963)...Also aggressive and dynamic...But I
prefer his 1984 version, with Sony...Miracle of balance...Luminous
evidence...

*Claudio Abbado* (DG 1970)...Energetic, poetic...More than with the WP
(DG 1992)...

*Karajan* (DG 1972)...I never understood how and why the international
critics praised this recording, for me completely out of tune (as well
as the other works of the Second Viennese School that he recorded)...

*Michael GIELEN* (SWF 1993)...Reserved, austere...Almost
Mahlerian!...but convincing, I find...

*James LEVINE* (Sony 1993)...I don't appreciate this conductor too
much...Interpretation, opulent and spectacular...

*Giuseppe SINOPOLI* (Live Warber 1997)...A very controversial conductor
in France...But here flamboyant, tragic, subtle in his articulations...

*Marc ALBRECHT* (Pentatone 2007)...Clear and dynamic lines...A
wonder...

My four favorite versions ? :

Incsif : *Dorati*...
Romantic : *Abbado*...
Luminous : *Boulez* / Sony...
Zxpressionist : *Sinopoli*...

Thank you for reading me...
I hope that my master Koren approves my choices !...
gggg gggg
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.opera/c/Wfcl7nvD8dU
MELMOTH
2021-04-05 22:18:06 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Incsif : *Dorati*...
Romantic : *Abbado*...
Luminous : *Boulez* / Sony...
Zxpressionist : *Sinopoli*...
If I had to choose only one version, it would be *Dorati* !...
The Mercury sound recording is amazing and sumptuous...Recorded on a
three track magnetic film, 1 magnetopnoe and 3 Telefunken 201
microphones...That's it !...And it's never been better since...
Bob Harper
2021-04-06 00:16:49 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
[...]
I first bought the Dorati on LP back in the '70s, coupled as it is on
CD, and with the wonderful Charles Demuth cover "I Saw the Figure 5 in
Gold". I now have the MLP CD, and I'm with you. Perhaps it's imprinting,
but no other performance has done it for me like Dorati's. The very end
of the Marsch absolutely explodes from the loudspeakers. There are
others that are very good, but Dorati's the man.

Bob Harper
weary flake
2021-04-07 03:27:45 UTC
[...]
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds: German composers, German conductors,
conductors who play German music, German Jews, Conductors who
play in Germany, labels located in Germany, etc.
MELMOTH
2021-04-07 07:48:32 UTC
Post by weary flake
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds
Mr. Koren is a very sick man...
That is why it is important to LOVE him and to help him with all our
strength... Never lose hope...
Yoshiyuki Mukudai
2021-04-07 17:59:17 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by weary flake
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds
Mr. Koren is a very sick man...
That is why it is important to LOVE him and to help him with all our
strength... Never lose hope...
I imagined that you were homosexual.

YM
Dan Koren
2021-04-10 07:41:41 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by weary flake
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds
Mr. Koren is a very sick man...
Aren't we all? And your cattle too!

2021-04-11 00:06:33 UTC
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 00:41:41 -0700 (PDT), Dan Koren
Post by Dan Koren
Post by MELMOTH
Post by weary flake
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds
Mr. Koren is a very sick man...
Aren't we all? And your cattle too!
dk
Nobody else here posts linear rankings of performances of a single
work so you two have something in common. I think just posting
recommendations for good performances is enough to keep the majority
of readers here happy. I, for one, don't need to be told what to
avoid since I rarely buy CDs anymore.

If you want to linear order things, I would like to know what works of
Spohr or other prolific second rate composers I should listen to
first. While I am at it, I am now enjoying listening to a set of the
7 Vieuxtemps violin concertos performed by 7 different pupils of the
conductor, Patrick Davin, with the Orchestre Philharmonique de Liège.
Sound is great and Vieuxtemps really could write for the violin as
well as orchestrate. How I love Spotify.
Dan Koren
2021-04-11 02:29:50 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by MELMOTH
Post by weary flake
DK wouldn't approve any of this, for his usual politically
motivated hatreds
Mr. Koren is a very sick man...
Aren't we all? And your cattle too!
Nobody else here posts linear rankings of performances of a single
work so you two have something in common. I think just posting
recommendations for good performances is enough to keep the
majority of readers here happy. I, for one, don't need to be told
what to avoid since I rarely buy CDs anymore.
Couple of comments are in order.

First, I do not post "linear rankings of performances of a single work"
without making it clear these reflect nothing more than my taste and
are not shopping lists for the rest of the world. Brevity sometimes
leads to misunderstanding, however I was often enough on record
saying that if Arrau (or substitute your own pet pianist) makes one
happy, one can spend one's life and eternity listening to him. This
is quite different from Melmoth who posts shopping lists for long
OOP LPs -- most likely in order to increase the value of his estate.

Second, the practical value of anyone's recommendations has been
completely devalued by the emergence of YouTube, Spotify, and
other similar services that allow anyone to sample pretty much
every recording ever made.

dk
MELMOTH
2021-04-11 07:10:15 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
This
is quite different from Melmoth who posts shopping lists for long
OOP LPs
Nonsense, as usual ...
I don't publish a BUY list of anything...
I just state my TASTES about this or that work...
Which doesn't prevent me from putting a chaste kiss on your bald
head...
Herman
Isn't it time for the weekly stats, with you no doubt as the nr 1 Originator?
gggg gggg
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/wozzeck.html
Dan Koren
2021-04-10 07:40:58 UTC
[...]