Handel Organ Concerti
Add Reply
wagnerfan
2009-05-04 19:29:28 UTC
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts??? Thnaks in advance wagner fan
jrsnfld
2009-05-04 19:33:44 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts???  Thnaks in advance  wagner fan
I adore Koopman's zesty recordings on Erato.

--Jeff
wagnerfan

This is the 1984 set reissued on Apex???? Wagner fan
Gerard
Must be. There are no other recordings by Koopman of these concerti.
Johannes Roehl
2009-05-04 20:33:52 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts??? Thnaks in advance wagner fan
I adore Koopman's zesty recordings on Erato.
--Jeff
This is the 1984 set reissued on Apex???? Wagner fan
Yes. opp. 4 & 7 are on a twofer, but the whole lot (including 4 more)
has been reissued in a cheap box of 6 discs; the other three discs are
Ross and Baumont with harpsichord suites. Very worthwhile and the
harpsichord items have been oop for a while and very hard to find.

Koopman is good, but my favorite organ concerti are Tachezi/Harnoncourt.
I have heard very good things (and the online bits sounded very
promising) about the recent recordings (each of op.4 only) by Dantone
and Ghielmi.

Johannes
Terry
2009-05-04 23:55:52 UTC
Post by Johannes Roehl
Post by jrsnfld
Post by wagnerfan
[...]
Interesting. I find the Tachezi set suffers from what I think is an
unidiomatic approach by his conductor, Harnoncourt. The rhythms seem to lack
the robustness and trenchancy that I think is part and parcel of Handel's
style (others may disagree). Tachezi is very fine, if a little inclined to
pull the rhythms about and then having to get the piece started again (this
could be down to Harnoncourt again).
--
Cheers!

Terry
Thomas Wood
2009-05-05 06:14:11 UTC
I've often heard the Tachezi/Harnoncourt recordings recommended here, so a
couple of year ago I bought a box of them (opp. 4 & 7 only). I found it
rather flat-footed and scrappy. I've always enjoyed Koopman's set far more,
and if you want fun, and indeed "zest," he provides it.

Tom Wood
Post by Terry
Terry
Johannes Roehl
2009-05-05 07:15:35 UTC
Post by Terry
Post by Johannes Roehl
Post by jrsnfld
Post by wagnerfan
[...]
I have to admit that I have had Tachezi/Harnoncourt for a longer time
and don't know Koopman's as well (neither Malcolm/Marriner, my 3rd set).
But IMO it has by far the best orchestral contribution of any. Of course
it's Harnoncourt, but he is comparably unmannered here (compared to the
concerti grossi, e.g.), but still way more interesting than Koopman's
smallish sounding ensemble or Marriners perky efficiency.

Johannes
Gerard
2009-05-04 19:42:17 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a
great time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or
"nice" - I want fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises
from the organ/ Any ideas from the experts??? Thnaks in advance
wagner fan
My favorite for these concerti is Chorzempa with Schröder. Recordings by
Philips, maybe still available in a box with other orchestral music by Händel,
with Leppard.
The organ concerti have been reissued on PentaTone SACDs.
Mechanical noises plenty.
mperman@comcast.net
2009-05-05 00:48:40 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a
great time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or
"nice" - I want fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises
from the organ/ Any ideas from the experts???  Thnaks in advance
wagner fan
My favorite for these concerti is Chorzempa with Schröder. Recordings by
Philips, maybe still available in a box with other orchestral music by Händel,
with Leppard.
The organ concerti have been reissued on PentaTone SACDs.
Mechanical noises plenty.
I found Chorzempa's recordings to be dutiful, not especially fun.
Malcolm/Marriner's are better,
but Koopman is my favorite.

Marc Perman
Gerard
2009-05-05 03:34:49 UTC
Post by ***@comcast.net
Post by Gerard
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are
having a great time playing this wonderful music - I don't want
"tidy" or "nice" - I want fun and don't mind if there are
mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas from the experts???
Thnaks in advance wagner fan
My favorite for these concerti is Chorzempa with Schröder.
Recordings by Philips, maybe still available in a box with other
orchestral music by Händel, with Leppard.
The organ concerti have been reissued on PentaTone SACDs.
Mechanical noises plenty.
I found Chorzempa's recordings to be dutiful, not especially fun.
I disagree wholeheartedly.
Post by ***@comcast.net
Malcolm/Marriner's are better,
Here I disagree wholeheartedlier.
Post by ***@comcast.net
but Koopman is my favorite.
Koopman is fine, and Pinnock is fine, Harnoncourt/Tachezi are not so fine.
But Chorzempa is my favorite. His recordings are especially fun.
William Sommerwerck
2009-05-05 12:55:18 UTC
I bought the Chorzempa about a year ago, and compared them with another
version I had. I decided I didn't much care for any of them. None of them
were as much "fun" as I would have liked. (Maybe I'm getting old.)

No one has mentioned Egarr. These are... odd. I would be very cautious about
them.
Norman M. Schwartz
How about Biggs/Boult?
Richard
2009-05-05 16:03:02 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by William Sommerwerck
I bought the Chorzempa about a year ago, and compared them with
another version I had. I decided I didn't much care for any of them.
None of them were as much "fun" as I would have liked. (Maybe I'm
getting old.)
Post by William Sommerwerck
No one has mentioned Egarr. These are... odd. I would be very
cautious about them.
How about Biggs/Boult?
Thanks for mentioning them. I have them on CBS LPs and have no idea if
they've been reissued, but IIRC they have a claim to authenticity.
Were they nor recorded on the organ Handel used?
Richard
Derek Haslam
2009-05-06 11:45:36 UTC
In message <c44afdd4-6b1f-4ec8-8b5d-***@u10g2000vbd.googlegro
ups.com>
Post by Richard
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by William Sommerwerck
I bought the Chorzempa about a year ago, and compared them with
another version I had. I decided I didn't much care for any of them.
None of them were as much "fun" as I would have liked. (Maybe I'm
getting old.)
Post by William Sommerwerck
No one has mentioned Egarr. These are... odd. I would be very
cautious about them.
How about Biggs/Boult?
Thanks for mentioning them. I have them on CBS LPs and have no idea if
they've been reissued, but IIRC they have a claim to authenticity.
Were they nor recorded on the organ Handel used?
Richard
I think so. Didn't Biggs have the tuning of the organ temporarily
changed from meantone to equal temperament for these recordings? ISTR
reading something about this years ago?

Derek Haslam
Mastery of the rules is a prerequisite for breaking them creatively.
Gerard
AFAIK he has recorded only a few (one CD).
Christopher Webber
2009-05-05 18:19:11 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
No one has mentioned Egarr. These are... odd. I would be very cautious
about them.
I agree - "odd" is the word! The solo playing is perky, cheeky,
self-consciously iconoclastic and not half as clever or amusing as he
thinks. The orchestral contribution is bass light, always a fatal error
in Handel.

Biggs suffers from the out-of-tune organ of Great Packington, alas.

Personally, apart (now) from the lively Chorzempa for a bit of variety,
I always go back to Simon Preston, Trevor Pinnock and the English
Concert, cheaply available these days in an Archiv "Trio" box. These
performances are an absolute model of musicality and good taste, and
quite beautifully recorded too. I would not swap them for any other set
I've heard.
--
___________________________
Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK.
http://www.zarzuela.net
Terry
2009-05-04 23:51:50 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts??? Thnaks in advance wagner fan
I reckon you'll like Ton Koopman's set, if you give it a try. Erato
originally, now has been reissued on Apex, and is dirt cheap. An excellent
set.
--
Cheers!

Terry
Simon Roberts
2009-05-05 01:12:08 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts??? Thnaks in advance wagner fan
Tachezi/Harnoncourt, by a wide margin - but Tachezi plays a chamber organ. If
you want a church organ, Koopman.

Simon
number_six
2009-05-05 20:21:07 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts???  Thnaks in advance  wagner fan
Tachezi/Harnoncourt, by a wide margin - but Tachezi plays a chamber organ.  If
you want a church organ, Koopman.
Simon
Hmm, I have Tachezi /Harnoncourt, but Koopman is tempting, for a
bigger sound. I'll consider him after Tachezi gets a relisten.
santiago538
2009-05-05 01:15:46 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts???  Thnaks in advance  wagner fan
Either the Koopman or the Harnoncourt/Tachezi would be good choices.
The Koopman set is available in a dirt cheap box set with organ
concertos ## 13-16, the first set of 8 harpsichord suites--which are
masterpieces comparable with the suites by JS Bach--played by Scott
Ross, and selections from the second set (on a lower plane than the
first set) and miscellaneous works played by Oliver Baumont: wonderful
performances in all!
Roger Kulp
2009-05-05 20:15:19 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts???  Thnaks in advance  wagner fan
Karl Richter on Decca.I have all of the Bluebacks.Among the first such
records I ever bought.

I also have an outstanding mono Lp on DGG/Archiv from around the mid
50s.I can't recall who did it offhand.

Roger
g***@gmail.com
2018-12-05 06:10:11 UTC
Post by wagnerfan
What I am looking for is performers who sound like they are having a great
time playing this wonderful music - I don't want "tidy" or "nice" - I want
fun and don't mind if there are mechanical noises from the organ/ Any ideas
from the experts??? Thnaks in advance wagner fan
(Recent Youtube upload):

Introducing Handel's Organ