Bach Brandenburg Concertos by Zefiro
2020-10-13 15:12:31 UTC
In a previous post I have mentioned a 10 CD box on Arcana, titled "The
Baroque Collection" with recordings played by the Ensemble Zefiro. That
was when I was looking for recordings of bassoon concertos by Vivaldi -
these are absolutely splendid.
Other music in that box is by Bach, Handel,Telemann, Fasch, Zelenka and
others. I'm still discovering the beauty of this collection, in small
portions.
The Bach works in this box: the Ouvertures BWV 1066, , 1068 and 1069
(with 2 very small ouvertures BWV 119R and 194R 'for good measure').
These are also splendid.
BUT: Ouverture BWV 1067 is missing! That one has been recorded 2 years
later (2017) and has been issued on a twofer with the Brandenburg
Concertos. This shoud have been in the box of course; maybe in another
box later.

I really don't regret to have ordered that twofer as well. As far as I
have seen these recordings of the Brandenburg Concertos have not been
discussed here before. Well, they are more than splendid and they
deserve the strongest recommendation re Brandenburg Concertos on period
instuments. They go straight to the top of a group with recordings by
Café Zimmermann, Alessandrini (Concerto Italiano) , Musica Antiqua
Köln, Antonini (Il Giardino Armonico), Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin -
just to name the recordings I prefer.
c***@gmail.com
2020-10-13 15:34:15 UTC
Post by Gerard
[...]
Adding to this appropriately laudatory review of Zefiro, I just received a note from Presto indicating that the delayed issue of their Mozart box has been rescheduled for October 16. (I pre-ordered it at the beginning of August.) Hopefully on the way soon.

2020-10-13 15:44:45 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Gerard
[...]
AC
According to information on amazon.de it was issued in september
(Erscheinungstermin: 4.9.2020). But elsewhere it is available since this
week.
https://www.dodax.nl/nl-nl/muziek-cds-dvds-vinylplaten/kamermuziek/mozart-wolfgang-amadeus-1756-1791-the-mozart-collection-dpBMSTJHADT9V/

Anyhow: to be ordered SOON! ;-)