CAGE ASLSP
Raymond Hall
2020-09-06 01:56:11 UTC
Yesterday a chord was changed in Cage's Organ As Slowly As Possible, involving the introduction of a new organ pipe. The next chord change is in 2022, so there is no absolute rush. And if you miss it, the piece doesn't end until 2640, so there is plenty of time.

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-europe/2020/09/slow-music-chord-change-in-germany-of-639-year-organ-piece/

2020-09-08 19:28:44 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Yesterday a chord was changed in Cage's Organ As Slowly As Possible, involving the introduction of a new organ pipe. The next chord change is in 2022, so there is no absolute rush. And if you miss it, the piece doesn't end until 2640, so there is plenty of time.
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-europe/2020/09/slow-music-chord-change-in-germany-of-639-year-organ-piece/
Ray Hall, Taree
Occasionally I play a few notes from one of the themes in Roy Budd's score for the 1971 Michael Caine film GET CARTER.

I regard each session as being part of an extended but nonetheless unified performance.

Although my Budd homage may go on many years, it is projected to end (and I along with it) long before the completion of the Cage work you mentioned!
Todd Michel McComb
2020-09-08 20:04:12 UTC
Post by number_six
Although my Budd homage may go on many years, it is projected to
end (and I along with it) long before the completion of the Cage
work you mentioned!
Note that in his Cage monograph, Rob Haskins singled out this
performance as an extreme example of people willfully abusing Cage's
music. He finds it offensive. YMMV.
number_six
2020-09-08 21:01:01 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Although my Budd homage may go on many years, it is projected to
end (and I along with it) long before the completion of the Cage
work you mentioned!
Note that in his Cage monograph, Rob Haskins singled out this
performance as an extreme example of people willfully abusing Cage's
music. He finds it offensive. YMMV.
In this case, I'm not familiar with the composer's intentions.

Will reserve judgment accordingly.

You probably deduced I was kidding re my Roy Budd performance.

Mostly kidding.

Speaking of Cage, I've just obtained a dvd set of Four American Composers.

It consists of four short films by Peter Greenaway, featuring Cage, Robert Ashley, Meredith Monk, and Philip Glass respectively. Ashley will be the wild card -- don't know anything about him.
.
Todd Michel McComb
2020-09-08 21:26:50 UTC
Post by number_six
You probably deduced I was kidding re my Roy Budd performance.
I don't feel any particular stake on the topic of the ASLSP performance
either. It seems like harmless fun(?) in some sense. But I thought
I'd note the criticism -- the context of which is that people still
seem to think that Cage's music wasn't written seriously to be music
(since a performance that no one can actually perceive is not a
serious musical performance).
Post by number_six
Ashley will be the wild card -- don't know anything about him.
I've never been into Ashley myself, but he has big big fans. Go
read Bruce Gallanter rave about him on downtownmusicgallery.com if
you want a feel for the audience milieu.... (Maybe use a Google
site search to find the most relevant hits....)
Todd Michel McComb
2020-09-08 21:28:43 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
I've never been into Ashley myself, but he has big big fans.
Actually, forget the rest of that comment. Brain slip, sorry,
thinking of someone else!