Big Berlioz Box
Add Reply
Jim Paul
2018-11-14 23:14:08 UTC
Coming in the new year.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
m***@gmail.com
2018-11-15 19:41:26 UTC
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
Looks like a Brilliant Classics box. Blech.
Frank Berger
2018-11-15 19:44:52 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
Looks like a Brilliant Classics box. Blech.
There are hundreds of Brilliant boxes, many of which make available
(often in unadulterated sound) material not otherwise available. I
wouldn't be so dismissive.
m***@gmail.com
2018-11-16 00:18:08 UTC
No, no, I meant that precisely- I was talking about looks. Brilliant has plenty of great music. I know that makes me a bit silly. But we know what Brilliant's product looks like, right? It communicates its price point by its blandness. This also seems to have come out as generic and flavorless as possible.
m***@gmail.com
2018-11-16 00:20:01 UTC
Come to think of it, what does J.M.W. Turner have to do with Hector? This question has been crawling around in my head as well.
MiNe109
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/turner-childe-harolds-pilgrimage-italy-n00516
m***@gmail.com
2018-11-16 15:43:43 UTC
OK, but I'd wager that if we looked at each work included, only an handful would make sense. Start at the bottom left. Peace - Burial at Sea has no Berlioz connection. Maybe they wanted to do all-Courbet but couldn't get the rights. In any case, the look of the box is dreary, and doesn't even do much with what they have.
MiNe109
2018-11-16 20:36:51 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by MiNe109
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/turner-childe-harolds-pilgrimage-italy-n00516
OK, but I'd wager that if we looked at each work included, only an
handful would make sense. Start at the bottom left. Peace - Burial at
Sea has no Berlioz connection. Maybe they wanted to do all-Courbet
but couldn't get the rights. In any case, the look of the box is
dreary, and doesn't even do much with what they have.
I haven't seen the box, but was happy to realize Turner and Berlioz
shared Harold and Dido as subjects.
m***@icloud.com
2018-11-16 11:57:51 UTC
https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/joseph-mallord-william-turner-dido-building-carthage
n***@gmail.com
2018-11-16 19:29:24 UTC
For that matter what did/does Leonard Bernstein or Sony have to do with 'His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales'?
m***@gmail.com
2018-11-21 20:34:58 UTC
Good point. But for me, even if those covers were unattractive, they didn't look cheap. I'm a bit fascinated by design that screams "budget buy" (to my mind, admittedly) because there is often nothing objectively wrong with it. I deal with similar concerns in my job as a designer, so I admit this is personal.
Frank Berger
2018-11-21 21:51:14 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
No, no, I meant that precisely- I was talking about looks. Brilliant has plenty of great music. I know that makes me a bit silly. But we know what Brilliant's product looks like, right? It communicates its price point by its blandness. This also seems to have come out as generic and flavorless as possible.
Come to think of it, what does J.M.W. Turner have to do with Hector? This question has been crawling around in my head as well.
For that matter what did/does Leonard Bernstein or Sony have to do with 'His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales'?
One does wonder at the thought process that resulted in using Prince
Charles lend importance to Bernstein's ouevre.
Herman
2018-12-01 16:38:32 UTC
One does wonder at the thought process that resulted in using Prince
Charles lend importance to Bernstein's oeuvre.
It may have been the other way around, Prince Charles trying to acquire some relevance by associating himself with Bernstein.

This is a man who travels with his own toilet seat and gets served ten boiled eggs every morning, so he can pick the one that's just right.
Bob Harper
2018-12-04 03:36:59 UTC
One does wonder at the thought process that resulted in using Prince
Charles lend importance to Bernstein's oeuvre.
It may have been the other way around, Prince Charles trying to acquire some relevance by associating himself with Bernstein.
This is a man who travels with his own toilet seat and gets served ten boiled eggs every morning, so he can pick the one that's just right.
And in which tabloid did you read these nuggets, Herman ? :)

don't believe that crap."
Herman
2018-12-04 09:02:42 UTC
This is a man who travels with his own toilet seat and gets served ten boiled eggs every morning, so he can pick the one that's just right.
And in which tabloid did you read these nuggets, Herman ? :)
Bob Harper
It must have been a British tabloid, so it must be true.

Prince Charles is not a popular figure in the UK.

People are hoping the crown skips a generation, right on to William's head.
Herman
2018-12-04 09:17:13 UTC
Well, I have done due diligence. The "his own toilet seat" story is from Tom Bower's biography, published earlier this year (2018).

Amusingly the prince vigorously denied the toilet seat story on a trip to Australia, a place royals often visit to clear the record (25 years ago a Dutch prince consort gave a press conference in Australia to vigorously deny he would ever do such a thing as wear grey shoes).

I cannot help but notice that what Charles is denying is that he "carries" the toilet seat, which is obviously something different entirely.
Herman
2018-12-04 09:19:19 UTC
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5579833/Prince-Charles-discusses-carrying-toilet-seat-Australia.html

Camilla looks very nice in these beach pictures.
2018-12-04 12:22:31 UTC
Well, I have done due diligence. The "his own toilet seat" story is from Tom
Bower's biography, published earlier this year (2018).
Amusingly the prince vigorously denied the toilet seat story on a trip to
Australia, a place royals often visit to clear the record (25 years ago a
Dutch prince consort gave a press conference in Australia to vigorously deny
he would ever do such a thing as wear grey shoes).
I cannot help but notice that what Charles is denying is that he "carries"
the toilet seat, which is obviously something different entirely.
Thank God we got to the bottom of this one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=quotes+prince+charles&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=XER28qCaH1mUdM%253A%252CUhvk0H6574wm_M%252C_&usg=AI4_-kRWoNwC1IGH0CgnVrrSkIUYMszoww&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihscKS64bfAhWS0VQKHS7rB3EQ9QEwBXoECAEQBA#imgrc=6jnhKAHSuW6yrM:
g***@gmail.com
2018-12-04 20:43:09 UTC
Post by O
Post by Herman
Well, I have done due diligence. The "his own toilet seat" story is from Tom
Bower's biography, published earlier this year (2018).
Amusingly the prince vigorously denied the toilet seat story on a trip to
Australia, a place royals often visit to clear the record (25 years ago a
Dutch prince consort gave a press conference in Australia to vigorously deny
he would ever do such a thing as wear grey shoes).
I cannot help but notice that what Charles is denying is that he "carries"
the toilet seat, which is obviously something different entirely.
Thank God we got to the bottom of this one.
-Owen
He obviously doesn't mind getting egg on his face, does he.

Frank Berger
2018-11-16 03:20:15 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
There are hundreds of Brilliant boxes, many of which make available
(often in unadulterated sound) material not otherwise available. I
wouldn't be so dismissive.
No, no, I meant that precisely- I was talking about looks. Brilliant has plenty of great music. I know that makes me a bit silly. But we know what Brilliant's product looks like, right? It communicates its price point by its blandness. This also seems to have come out as generic and flavorless as possible.
I see and agree. When these boxes come to my attention I usually try to
find used copies of the original releases. In fact, I just ordered the
Shostakovich Quartet recordings of the Shostakovich String Quartets on
the various Olympia releases rather than the later collection.
Randy Lane
2018-11-15 19:45:35 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
Looks like a Brilliant Classics box. Blech.
But it is Warner.

And has some top flight newer stuff, like the Nelson opera recordings.
Tassilo
2018-11-17 05:19:41 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
And has some top flight newer stuff, like the Nelson opera recordings.
Nelson is not my idea of a major conductor of Berlioz for all of his interest in the composer.

-dg
John Fowler
2018-11-17 11:50:15 UTC
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
This will include the first recording of Berlioz' incomplete (30 minutes) opera "La nonne sanglante"
Warner Japan:
https://wmg.jp/compi/discography/20248/

where it is translated as "The Bloody Nude"
Google translates it as "The Bloody Nun"
Jerry
2018-11-18 02:53:22 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
This will include the first recording of Berlioz' incomplete (30 minutes) opera "La nonne sanglante"
https://wmg.jp/compi/discography/20248/
where it is translated as "The Bloody Nude"
Google translates it as "The Bloody Nun"
A possibly more accurate list of contents now at Amazon.fr

https://www.amazon.fr/Berlioz-Complete-Works-Yutaka-Sado/dp/B07JZB1VWN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542507696&sr=8-1&keywords=berlioz+warner

Jerry
Alan Dawes
2018-11-18 12:01:24 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by John Fowler
Post by Jim Paul
Coming in the new year.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/y9b2lp2l
This will include the first recording of Berlioz' incomplete (30
https://wmg.jp/compi/discography/20248/
where it is translated as "The Bloody Nude" Google translates it as
"The Bloody Nun"
A possibly more accurate list of contents now at Amazon.fr
https://www.amazon.fr/Berlioz-Complete-Works-Yutaka-Sado/dp/B07JZB1VWN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542507696&sr=8-1&keywords=berlioz+warner
Or the amazon.co.uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berlioz-Complete-Works-Yutaka-Sado/dp/B07JZB1VWN/

Not necessarily the most inspiring recordings but probably a good
introduction to Berlioz which hopefully will inspire a new comer to
explore other recordings.

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
John Fowler
2018-11-29 14:52:44 UTC
Video from Warner:

Frank Berger
2018-11-29 15:21:33 UTC
Post by John Fowler
http://youtu.be/1qvIoC5DXiM
Where is Matthew Tepper when we need him? Actually I see he is active on
Twitter and Facebook.
John Fowler
2018-12-01 15:54:43 UTC
I've compared the French, UK, German and Japanese Amazon contents listings.
Two important Berlioz compositions are missing in all four:
-- 'Les Francs Juges' incomplete opera: a half-hour of fragments survive (and were broadcast by the BBC in 1970)
-- Berlioz composed a new Prelude for use when 'Les Troyens' was split over two nights. Prelude to 'Les Troyens à Carthage’ (Acts 3-5 of the original opera). Recorded by Colin Davis, Charles Dutoit and Yoav Talmi (Naxos).
Doesn't mean they won't be in the finished box.
Still waiting for Warner's website to provide track listings.
Jerry
2018-12-04 04:44:43 UTC
Post by John Fowler
I've compared the French, UK, German and Japanese Amazon contents listings.
-- 'Les Francs Juges' incomplete opera: a half-hour of fragments survive (and were broadcast by the BBC in 1970)
-- Berlioz composed a new Prelude for use when 'Les Troyens' was split over two nights. Prelude to 'Les Troyens à Carthage’ (Acts 3-5 of the original opera). Recorded by Colin Davis, Charles Dutoit and Yoav Talmi (Naxos).
Doesn't mean they won't be in the finished box.
Still waiting for Warner's website to provide track listings.
And, from the Gramophone review (re: latest Erato "Troyens"):

Erato is perhaps a little naughty in describing the score as ‘absolutely complete’, an accolade surely only true of Charles Dutoit’s recording, which includes the scene where Sinon, a Greek spy, convinces the Trojans that the wooden horse must be brought inside the city (a scene which Berlioz cut from the score in 1861) and the Act 3 prelude, composed for the 1863 performance of Acts 3 to 5, The Trojans at Carthage.

Jerry