Verne Edquist, Glenn Gould's piano tuner, 1931-2020
Add Reply
JohnA
2020-09-02 13:13:42 UTC
https://slippedisc.com/2020/09/death-of-glenn-goulds-piano-tuner/

DEATH OF GLENN GOULD’S BLIND PIANO TUNER
By Norman Lebrecht
On September 2, 2020

The Glenn Gould Foundation mourns the passing of Verne Edquist, Glenn Gould’s long-time piano technician.

Born blind in Saskatchewan, Verne received vocational training at the Ontario School for the Blind and started work as a teenager in Toronto piano factories.

He tuned pianos for Gina Bachauer, Emil Gilels and Victor Borge, but turned down Gould at first because Gould was notorious for firing his Steinway technicians and tuners. Eventually they worked together as friends for 20 years.

***
John Fowler
Too young, dammit!
Owen
2020-09-02 18:20:46 UTC
Post by JohnA
https://slippedisc.com/2020/09/death-of-glenn-goulds-piano-tuner/
DEATH OF GLENN GOULD’S BLIND PIANO TUNER
In another of Norm LeBrecht's articles (actually a video) is an
interesting discussion about possible racist language in songs sung at
the Proms. I found it interesting and a potential parallel to
discussions we're having in the US over monuments and such:

<https://slippedisc.com/2020/08/the-rule-britannia-debate-watch-both-sides-now/>

2020-09-02 21:49:16 UTC
Post by JohnA
https://slippedisc.com/2020/09/death-of-glenn-goulds-piano-tuner/
DEATH OF GLENN GOULD’S BLIND PIANO TUNER
In another  of Norm LeBrecht's articles (actually a video) is an
interesting discussion about possible racist language in songs sung at
the Proms.  I found it interesting and a potential parallel to
<https://slippedisc.com/2020/08/the-rule-britannia-debate-watch-both-sides-now/>
-Owen
A long article discussing this very topic.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/on-musical-jingoism/