La Nilsson - whats missing
2018-10-02 03:15:03 UTC
I know the big Decca box has the vast majority of Nilssons recorded output but can kind soul tell me whats missing that was on other commercial labels. thanks meyer
m***@icloud.com
2018-10-04 21:22:58 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I know the big Decca box has the vast majority of Nilssons recorded output but can kind soul tell me whats missing that was on other commercial labels. thanks meyer
Off the top of my head, I THINK there are some early EMI recital recordings missing, but understand that DECCA managed to include recordings from the rest of UMG (DGG Wagner and Weber; the originally PHILIPS recordings having been subsumed into DECCA some time ago) and license one or two from SONY (RCA) - the Leinsdorf Turandot. To complicate matters still further I believe the Matacic Fanciulla (EMI/Warner) is included.

There were also some Swedish-made recordings on the Bluebell label which do not seem to be there.

Hope that tides you over until someone more knowledgeable can comment. If I get the chance I will have a look at what was on EMI, check the contents and post again. I think they are early recordings mostly only put onto CD by Testament and almost all Wagner scenes apart from the odd Beethoven: Ah Perfido!

The DECCA box is tempting, but I have many (most?) of the contents already. The Amazon UK price is amazing currently.

Best wishes
m***@gmail.com
I know the early RCA song recital and the Leinsdorf Verdi Requiem are missing
m***@icloud.com
2018-10-08 20:21:16 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@icloud.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Hello again. You are right of course about the recital and Verdi Requiem on RCA!

I have listed what EMI recordings I can ascertain. Apart from the opera sets (which I think are all in the DECCA box but have listed anyway) these all seem to date from 1957-58 when Nilsson apparently had a contract with Walter Legge to record with his Philharmonia Orchestra. Various conductors: Klemperer in Egmont, Ludwig / Bohm / Sebastian the rest. The two duets are with Hans Hotter. I was surprised by the number of non-Wagner items:

Beethoven: Ah, perfido!, Klaerchen's two lieder from Egmont, Abscheulicher! from Fidelio
Mozart: Or sai chi l'onore from Don Giovanni
Verdi Ritorna vincitor and O Patria Mia from Aida, Ecco l'orrido campo from Un Ballo in Maschera, Pace pace from La Forza del Destino
Wagner: Senta's Ballad and duet from Der Fliegende Hollander, Einsam in trüben tagen from Lohengrin, Dich teure halle from Tannhäuser, Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde, War es so schmahlich from Die Walkure
Weber: Leise leise from Der Freischutz, Ozean, du ungeheuer! from Oberon

Complete operas: Puccini Turandot - Molinari Pradelli, Fanciulla - Matacic
Verdi Aida - Mehta
Weber Freischutz - Heger

How essential any of these are depends on your point of view. Looking at the list, I am not sure there are many musical excerpts not duplicated on the DECCA / DG / Philips [/ RCA / EMI complete opera] recordings..... and whilst with many singers they never quite capture the pristine voice of their youth later in their recording career, I think Mme Nilsson may have been an exception to that? The items that seem to be uniquely on EMI excerpts are the two short Egmont songs, plus the Hollander duet

Some of the Wagner items have appeared on Testament. A few of the Rings excerpts also appeared on EMI France CDs in Les Introuvables du Ring. I have not seen any plan for Warner to gather them together this year.

I hope this is of use to you: as before I am leaving aside the Bluebell recordings. Last week, the DECCA box was listed on Amazon UK at a mere £115. I see it is now £200 again. I am celebrating her birthday with the SONY box (enjoying it so far), the Blu-Ray transfers of Elektra and Salome, the DVD "In a league of her own" and the lavish Homage in book form.