Scelsi 1939
Add Reply
cdc
2022-01-06 17:46:41 UTC

Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...
cdc
2022-01-06 19:58:08 UTC
This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an
assistant.
What you say (the practice of improvising, recording and then having
others do the transcriptions) is known. But in 1938-39 with what
commercially available device could one record one's improvisations on the
piano?
Todd M. McComb
2022-01-06 20:58:29 UTC
Post by cdc
What you say (the practice of improvising, recording and then
having others do the transcriptions) is known. But in 1938-39 with
what commercially available device could one record one's
improvisations on the piano?
Scelsi was still composing in the traditional manner at that time.

It's worth noting that his future ondiola improvisations were all
transcribed for other forces. There is no notated ondiola music
(except maybe _In nomine lucis_ I suppose).

Mandryka
2022-01-06 20:47:56 UTC
Post by cdc
http://youtu.be/Hv0o8dejbAM
Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...
This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an assistant.
Always good to have something new by James Clapperton.
What makes this improvisation 20 or 30 years ahead of its time?
Henk
Just thinking of the start, obvious things which make it stand out for me is the unpredictability of the rhythm and the articulation, and the the way the repeated D is coloured by adjacent notes. I don't know the period well enough to say whether it resembles other pieces of the time. The physicality of the music makes me think of Ustvolskaya and Bartok, and the chromaticism reminds me of later Scriabin -- though I hardly know any of these composers very well!

As far as impact on later music, is it fanciful to see in that repeated D in the first part the genesis of all the one note music which so marked the second half of the twentieth century. Had Stockhausen heard this suite before writing Inori, for example? Or Berio before writing his piano sonata?