WAYLTL December 2021
Ed Presson
2021-12-17 03:34:27 UTC
Ernest Bloch: Concerto symphonique; Concerto grosso No. 1; Scherzo
fantasque.
Jenny Lin, piano/SWR Rundfunkorchster Kaiserslautern/Jiri Starek, conductor.
Hanssler Classic CD 93.192

The Concerto symphonique for piano and orchestra is agitated, dramatic,
emotional,
and maybe a bit bombastic. It gets the full treatment here, maybe a bit
over-the-top if
you know other recordings. The Scherzo fantasque performance is cut
from the same cloth, but slightly more restrained. Both great fun.

The Concerto Grosso is my favorite Bloch composition, and it seems to me
that it
requires a different approach than the other two works, and the performers
shift
gears to do well by it. It's quite good. I've never heard a performance
that rivals my memory of
the early Mercury mono recording with Kubelik and the Chicago Symphony. But
I suspect
if I heard it now, it wouldn't rival my memory, either.

Ed Presson
Chris J.
2021-12-19 13:01:42 UTC
https://www.israbox-music.com/year/2019/3137753685-larchibudelli-
larchibudelli-play-beethoven-2019.html
Also:
Beethoven's Missa solemnis,conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (Sony),
Harnoncourt's swan song from July 2015. Impressive in a way, moving too,
but I doubt if it will become my favorite recording of this work.

Chris
Chris J.
2021-12-19 17:35:37 UTC
Post by Chris J.
Beethoven's Missa solemnis,conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (Sony),
Harnoncourt's swan song from July 2015.
I recently acquired the Music & Arts box with the 1967 Szell / Cleveland
recording. I don't think I'll need another one.
One can never own too many recordings of this magnificent work imho.

Chris
Bob Harper
2021-12-19 20:50:42 UTC
Post by Chris J.
https://www.israbox-music.com/year/2019/3137753685-larchibudelli-
larchibudelli-play-beethoven-2019.html
Beethoven's Missa solemnis,conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (Sony),
Harnoncourt's swan song from July 2015. Impressive in a way, moving too,
but I doubt if it will become my favorite recording of this work.
Chris
I recently acquired the Music & Arts box with the 1967 Szell / Cleveland
recording.  I don't think I'll need another one.
Yes. To mention only one short passage, the opening of the Gloria
explodes from the speakers with astonishing intensity. It must have been
an amazing experience live.

Bob Harper
Todd M. McComb
2021-12-30 00:12:58 UTC
A new, composed piece for 2 or 3 string quartets by JACK Quartet
violinist Christopher Otto:

https://greyfade-label.bandcamp.com/album/ragsma

Shifting, non-repetitive drones built in "just intonation"....