Bose
a***@gmail.com
2008-12-04 03:38:17 UTC
How do you guys feel about their stuff?

Their ads never seem to give the price.
Recovered Reviewer
2008-12-04 04:04:20 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Their ads never seem to give the price.
If you want to see Bose prices whole and clear: (link tested before posting)
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=2572&perfsourceid=k9677&src=k9677Disclaimer:I have no financial or other interest in this firm,and own no hardware madeby them.--John WiserJicotea Used BooksHowells NY 10932 ***@frontiernet.nethttp://www.amazon.com/shops/ceeclef
3Bs
2008-12-04 04:17:14 UTC
Post by Recovered Reviewer
Post by a***@gmail.com
Their ads never seem to give the price.
If you want to see Bose prices whole and clear: (link tested before posting)
I don't care how good they may be. With all that advertising, you are
paying a premium just for their brand.

I had friends with the fancy radio/CD player. The music was boxy and
lacked good bass. Big surprise. You just can't do it with something
that size.
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-12-04 07:20:09 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
I'm reminded of the old saying: "If you've got to ask the price, you can't
afford it."
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
William Sommerwerck
2008-12-04 12:04:31 UTC
We've had horrible arguments about this. (Or at least I have, in other
groups.)

Bose is overpriced and under-performing. Its claims, both technical and
aesthetic, are almost always invalid and sometimes outright lies.

This doesn't mean competing products are necessarily better (though they can
be). It's rather that Bose has earned its market share simply by _claiming_
it's better. The sincere testimonials from real customers come from people
who don't know what live sound sounds like, and have no experience in
judging reproduced sound.

Bose is notorious for insisting that its dealers maintain a separate demo
area. This adds to the products' snob appeal, but it also makes direct
comparison difficult. If Bose products are so much better, the companies
should require demonstrations _next to_ competing products. Right?

If Bose is "the most-trusted name in sound", and Bose reproduction is so
"life-like", why do I own Apogee speakers and John Curl amplification, and
not Bose?

Don't be intimidated. Buy what you like. Don't give into the temptation of
owning something simply because its manufacturer _says_ it's the best. It
isnt.

I'm an audiophile of 40+ years' standing, have a modest amount of experience
in live recording, and wrote for one of the major publications for more than
a decade. If Bose isn't good enough for me, it isn't good enough for you.
p***@yahoo.co.uk
2008-12-04 13:11:08 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
I'm an audiophile of 40+ years' standing, have a modest amount of experience
in live recording, and wrote for one of the major publications for more than
a decade. IfBoseisn't good enough for me, it isn't good enough for you.
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).

I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)

Peter Smith
p***@yahoo.co.uk
2008-12-04 13:20:13 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
I should add that I'm particularly interested in using them on planes
for listening to music and watching DVDs.
Peter Smith
Bob Lombard
2008-12-04 13:59:40 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
I should add that I'm particularly interested in using them on planes
for listening to music and watching DVDs.
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Peter Smith
No help to you of course, but... if the Bose headphones sound 5% better
than phones that cost 20% less, and both are durable, what would your
choice be?

bl
Jerry Bank
2008-12-04 17:44:04 UTC
In article <2db57595-ee48-4041-a5ca-
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
I should add that I'm particularly interested in using them on planes
for listening to music and watching DVDs.
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Peter Smith
For what it's worth you might consider a pair of cheap Kensington noise
cancelling headphones. I only use them on planes, and often use them
when there is nothing to listen to. Having the less noise is very nice.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Music is the language of the gods.
Martin
2008-12-04 18:02:34 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
I should add that I'm particularly interested in using them on planes
for listening to music and watching DVDs.
Why not get in-ear-monitor headphones (IEMs) such as by Shure or
Etymotic? IEMs can provide good seals which keep out most outside
noise. I use these on planes and the noisy London subway system and
can listen to and enjoy classical music at modest volumes. As a result
I see no need for noise cancelling phones. If, though, you want to use
on-the-ear headphones instead, perhaps for reasons of comfort or
simply taste, then noise cancelling ones make more sense.

I am very happy with my Shure SE 530s. These are top of the Shure
range and quite expensive but there are more modestly ones available
in several brands. More debate and discusion than you can probably
stomach is available at head-fi.org.
William Sommerwerck
2008-12-04 14:11:27 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
Look at the current issue of Condemner Reports, which has a brief review of
noise-cancelling headphones. The Sennheiser might not cancel noises so well,
but it's a lot less expensive.
r***@gmail.com
2008-12-04 14:52:17 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by William Sommerwerck
I'm an audiophile of 40+ years' standing, have a modest amount of experience
in live recording, and wrote for one of the major publications for more than
a decade. IfBoseisn't good enough for me, it isn't good enough for you.
What about the headphones? (noise cancelling, in particular).
I'm trying to decide between the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 and something
like the Sennheiser PXC 300. (Other suggestions gratefully received!)
Peter Smith
I have not tried the Bose headphones. I agree with other comments
that their speakers are nothing special, and for myself have Celestion
and Wharfedale speakers which provide decent sound without too much
expense or space being involved. I used to use Magneplanar Tympanis,
which were wonderful sounding but dominated any room you could put
them in, at 6 foot by 4 foot each.
For flights I have two sets of noise cancelling headphones:
Sennheisers, which are good sounding even in a quiet environment,
greatly reduce plane noise, and are wearable for long periods, and
Panasonic, which are over the ear and give better sound isolation,
were cheaper, are less good sounding and less comfortable. The choice
depends on the plane and my seat location.
Ask yourself what dynamic range you need for the music you choose; let
this guide the choice of how much isolation (as opposed to
cancellation) you need.
Richard
Matthew B. Tepper
2008-12-04 15:40:55 UTC
Post by William Sommerwerck
If Bose is "the most-trusted name in sound", and Bose reproduction is so
"life-like", why do I own Apogee speakers and John Curl amplification,
and not Bose?
The speaker manufacturer whose name I least like is Heil. No brownie points
for guessing why!

The speaker model whose name I most like to make fun of is Klipschorn,
because their customers are clipped and shorn of their money.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
William Sommerwerck
2008-12-04 15:50:52 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by William Sommerwerck
If Bose is "the most-trusted name in sound", and
Bose reproduction is so "life-like", why do I own Apogee
speakers and John Curl amplification, and not Bose?
The speaker manufacturer whose name I least like is Heil.
No brownie points for guessing why!
I met Dr. Heil at the SCES 20+ years ago. He loved poking fun of himself,
telling a story about how he'd talked a fellow scientist out of inventing
the laser! (This was in the late '30s.)

I don't believe he had a brother named Sigmund.
Kip Williams

Kip W
santiago538
2008-12-04 12:07:10 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
From my auditioning, I have come to the conclusion that you can easily
find a product just as good for a third of the price.
Thornhill
2008-12-04 12:48:46 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
Overpriced junk.

If their speakers are as good as they claim, why is it that no
recording studio in the world uses them for monitoring and playback?
David Cook
2008-12-04 13:03:09 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
When buying speakers you really need to audition them yourself. Your
listening room and electronics will have a determining effect on the sound.
Find a local store that will let you bring in your own CDs for uninterupted
listening and then let you do home auditions once you've narrowed the
selection down.

Dave Cook
u***@yahoo.com
2008-12-04 13:14:06 UTC
Post by David Cook
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
When buying speakers you really need to audition them yourself. Your
listening room and electronics will have a determining effect on the sound.
Find a local store that will let you bring in your own CDs for uninterupted
listening and then let you do home auditions once you've narrowed the
selection down.
Dave Cook
This is the best advice you can get. While others can help you look at
stuff you might not have considered before (provide ideas), you should
buy the speakers that sound best to you (considering your preferences,
music styles, equipment, space, etc.).
Kimba W Lion
2008-12-04 13:49:56 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
The only good thing they ever made was the original 901.
And that was over 30 years ago.
William Sommerwerck
2008-12-04 14:12:29 UTC
Post by Kimba W Lion
The only good thing they ever made was the original 901.
And that was over 30 years ago.
40 years. And let's not get into that. The 901 was a dreadful product. I
know... I owned them.
g***@gmail.com
2008-12-04 14:45:35 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
When I was a young lad and cool, I owned a pair of Bose 901's. For my
ears, they only sounded good at very loud levels and in music like
jazz or disco/dance, or organ music. When brought down to normal
volume levels, they loss all of that massive bass and didn't sound
much different than a small pair of bookshelf speakers (but without
the imaging to make them competitive with those smaller speakers and
pretty much useless for classical purposes). They still have their
admireres, though.

Last time I checked, Bose doesn't publish the frequency responses of
their speakers -that should tell you something right there.

Dil.
Bob Harper
2008-12-04 15:02:18 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
When I was a young lad and cool, I owned a pair of Bose 901's. For my
ears, they only sounded good at very loud levels and in music like
jazz or disco/dance, or organ music. When brought down to normal
volume levels, they loss all of that massive bass and didn't sound
much different than a small pair of bookshelf speakers (but without
the imaging to make them competitive with those smaller speakers and
pretty much useless for classical purposes). They still have their
admireres, though.
Last time I checked, Bose doesn't publish the frequency responses of
their speakers -that should tell you something right there.
Dil.
Agree with everything said here. I remember the first time I heard 901s.
'Impressive'-sounding, but far from a realistic reproduction of sound.
A perfect example of Lincoln's dictum that they are exactly the sort of
thing you'll like, if you like that sort of thing. Or perhaps of P.T.
Barnum's dictum about the regular birth of suckers.

At any rate, they're more about 'lifestyle' than about serious listening.

Bob Harper
Paul Goldstein
2008-12-04 15:30:29 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
None of their current flagship products lives up to the hype. That said, about
15 years ago I bought a pair of Bose powered speakers for about $250 to use as
an auxiliary, mobile music provider. They sounded great right out of the box,
and they still sound great today.
Neil
2008-12-04 18:33:26 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
High quality and high prices.

Neil Miller, author: The Piano Lessons Book & Piano Classics Analyzed
Methods and theory for confident memorized performances.
To buy, or view pages, search at Amazon.com and books.google.com –
Neil Miller Piano Lessons Book or Neil Miller Piano Analyzed
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-21 00:52:54 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
How do you guys feel about their stuff?
Their ads never seem to give the price.
Bose speakers (recent article):

https://www.chicagotribune.com/consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-electronics-the-best-bose-speaker-20190826-story.html
m***@gmail.com
2019-09-21 17:53:09 UTC
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many, many better options.
msw design
2019-09-21 18:40:34 UTC
Amen. Perhaps they have a few good products, but I haven't heard them. And what I have heard was incredibly overpriced.
Bob Harper
2019-09-21 20:33:21 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many, many better options.
Amen. Perhaps they have a few good products, but I haven't heard them. And what I have heard was incredibly overpriced.
Generally a triumph of marketing. They unsuccessfully sued Consumer
Reports for accurately describing the sound of their first product--the
Bose 901, losing 6-3 in the Supreme Court, but probably intimidating
others from making similarly accurate observations. In my experience,
they specialize in sounding 'impressive' rather than accurate.
graham
2019-09-21 22:06:33 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 12:53:13 PM UTC-5,
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many,
many better options.
Amen. Perhaps they have a few good products, but I haven't heard them.
And what I have heard was incredibly overpriced.
Generally a triumph of marketing. They unsuccessfully sued Consumer
Reports for accurately describing the sound of their first product--the
Bose 901, losing 6-3 in the Supreme Court, but probably intimidating
others from making similarly accurate observations. In my experience,
they specialize in sounding 'impressive' rather than accurate.
And in the 70s, when one auditioned speakers, the salesmen always played
the opening bars of Also Sprach!
Bob Harper
Thank Stanley Kubrick! :)
graham
2019-09-22 15:24:35 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many,
many better options.
Amen. Perhaps they have a few good products, but I haven't heard
them. And what I have heard was incredibly overpriced.
Generally a triumph of marketing. They unsuccessfully sued Consumer
Reports for accurately describing the sound of their first
product--the Bose 901, losing 6-3 in the Supreme Court, but probably
intimidating others from making similarly accurate observations. In
my experience, they specialize in sounding 'impressive' rather than
accurate.
And in the 70s, when one auditioned speakers, the salesmen always
played the opening bars of Also Sprach!
Thank Stanley Kubrick! :)
But not for that awful movie!
I was on a course in Singapore in 1975 and another candidate, was in the
market for a stereo system. I went with him and witnessed the speaker
"audition". There were AR, Kef, Spendor, B&W (IIRC) all top makes and of
course Bose 901s. The Chinese lady in charge switched from one set to
another in sequence finishing with the Bose. You can guess which ones he
chose.

weary flake
2019-09-21 23:15:51 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many, many better options.
According to the Chicago Tribune, excerpted:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-electronics-the-best-bose-speaker-20190826-story.html

No other company has advanced audio technology the way that
Bose has. Founded in 1964, Bose has been an innovative leader
for more than 50 years. It's products are used by professional
pilots and space-shuttle astronauts alike. This means that you
can own high-end audio equipment manufactured by the same
company that agencies such as NASA trust.

Q. Why can't I find any specs on Bose speaker performance?

A. In short, Bose does not believe that numbers accurately
represent a real-world listening experience.

Q. If the company doesn't offer specs, how do I choose the
right Bose speaker for me?

A. Deciding that you want a Bose speaker means that you
already trust the company's reputation. The way to find the
right speaker for you is to choose the type of speaker you need
based on its application.
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-22 01:08:36 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many,
many better options.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-electronics-the-best-bose-speaker-20190826-story.html
No other company has advanced audio technology the way that
Bose has. Founded in 1964, Bose has been an innovative leader
for more than 50 years. It's products are used by professional
pilots and space-shuttle astronauts alike. This means that you
can own high-end audio equipment manufactured by the same
company that agencies such as NASA trust.
So if I get thirsty while listening to music on Bose products, should I drink this for the ultimate experience?:

- Tang was used by early NASA manned space flights.[8] In 1962, when Mercury astronaut John Glenn conducted eating experiments in orbit, Tang was selected for the menu;[2] it was also used during some Gemini flights, and has also been carried aboard numerous space shuttle missions. Although many soda companies sent specially-designed canned drinks into space with the crew of STS-51-F, the crew preferred to use Tang, as it could be mixed into existing water containers easily.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_(drink_mix)
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-22 01:15:51 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
An audio salesman friend used to say: "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose."
Bose is cheap mid-fi junk. Of you care about music, there are many,
many better options.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/consumer-reviews/sns-bestreviews-electronics-the-best-bose-speaker-20190826-story.html
No other company has advanced audio technology the way that
Bose has. Founded in 1964, Bose has been an innovative leader
for more than 50 years. It's products are used by professional
pilots and space-shuttle astronauts alike. This means that you
can own high-end audio equipment manufactured by the same
company that agencies such as NASA trust.
So for the ultimate experience, if I get thirsty while listening to music on BOSE products, should I drink this?: