Current Oldest Conductors
Kerrison
2021-10-05 14:36:46 UTC
On the "Past Movies" Google Group forum they list the world's oldest actors and actresses from time to time. Here is a list - undoubtedly incomplete - of some of the world's current oldest conductors:

Herbert Blomstedt, 94
Christoph von Dohnanyi, 92
Bernard Haitink, 92
Richard Bonynge, 90
James Loughran, 90
Roger Norrington, 87
Seiji Ozawa, 86
Zubin Mehta, 85
Charles Dutoit, 84
Neeme Jarvi, 84
Yuri Termikanov, 82
Jose Serebrier, 82
Marek Janowski, 81
Edo de Waart, 80
Riccardo Muti, 80
Matthias Bamert, 79
Daniel Barenboim, 78
Dennis Russell Davies, 77
Andrew Davis, 77
Leonard Slatkin, 77
Michael Tilson Thomas, 76

Stokowski was still making records at the age of 95 but was he the oldest ever to be doing so? ... I'm not sure if all the above named are still active or have retired. Haitink certainly has and doubtless some or most of the others have too. Maybe someone will know for sure. Add any other names that come to mind!
furrybear57
Are these considered the "post-war" generation? i figure in just 15 more years they will all be gone.
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-06 03:08:58 UTC
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-06 03:14:02 UTC
On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 1:36:49 AM UTC+11, Kerrison wrote:

Blomstedt is listed as a guest conductor by the Berlin Phil. The Digital Concert Hall programme has him listed as conducting Bruckner's Fifth last Saturday.
As previously reported, I saw him conduct the BPO in Sibelius and Brahms via the Digital Concert Hall, and the deep affection and respect of the orchestra for this man was palpable.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
MELMOTH
2021-10-06 09:27:01 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Herbert Blomstedt, 94
Christoph von Dohnanyi, 92
Bernard Haitink, 92
Richard Bonynge, 90
James Loughran, 90
Roger Norrington, 87
Seiji Ozawa, 86
Zubin Mehta, 85
Charles Dutoit, 84
Neeme Jarvi, 84
Yuri Termikanov, 82
Jose Serebrier, 82
Marek Janowski, 81
Edo de Waart, 80
Riccardo Muti, 80
Matthias Bamert, 79
Daniel Barenboim, 78
Dennis Russell Davies, 77
Andrew Davis, 77
Leonard Slatkin, 77
Michael Tilson Thomas, 76
*Monteux*, 145
Andy Evans
2021-10-06 11:58:59 UTC
I looked at the lifespan of jazz musicians and for some reason trombonists came out best. But looks like going down in size to a baton gives you a pretty good lifespan. Unlike trumpeters they don't seem to be shot by jealous girlfriends, which is something. I imagine that conductors are no strangers to the odd peccadillo, though.

Some very big names in their 80s and 90s. Does make you ask who's at that level in the newer generations.
Herman
2021-10-06 14:56:19 UTC
Well, maybe you grow in stature once you're over 70.
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-06 23:28:42 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I looked at the lifespan of jazz musicians and for some reason trombonists came out best. But looks like going down in size to a baton gives you a pretty good lifespan. Unlike trumpeters they don't seem to be shot by jealous girlfriends, which is something. I imagine that conductors are no strangers to the odd peccadillo, though.
Some very big names in their 80s and 90s. Does make you ask who's at that level in the newer generations.
Well, there's Daniel Harding (46) Robin Ticciati (38) Francois-Xavier Roth (49) John Wilson (49) Edward Gardner (46). I'd mention Sir Simon Rattle (66) ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Herman
2021-10-07 01:08:30 UTC
Andrés Orozco-Estrada (44)
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-07 01:19:21 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Andy Evans
Some very big names in their 80s and 90s. Does make you ask who's at that level in the newer generations.
Well, there's Daniel Harding (46) Robin Ticciati (38) Francois-Xavier Roth (49) John Wilson (49) Edward Gardner (46).
Andrés Orozco-Estrada (44)
Gustavo Yudududamel-Yududamel is 40.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-07 01:14:21 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Andy Evans
I looked at the lifespan of jazz musicians and for some reason trombonists came out best. But looks like going down in size to a baton gives you a pretty good lifespan. Unlike trumpeters they don't seem to be shot by jealous girlfriends, which is something. I imagine that conductors are no strangers to the odd peccadillo, though.
Some very big names in their 80s and 90s. Does make you ask who's at that level in the newer generations.
Well, there's Daniel Harding (46) Robin Ticciati (38) Francois-Xavier Roth (49) John Wilson (49) Edward Gardner (46). I'd mention Sir Simon Rattle (66) ...
Kirill Petrenko is 49 and Vassily Petrenko is 45. Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla is 35.

Any Americans?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-10-07 01:21:49 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Any Americans?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Litton is something like 63. I only know him from recordings and thought everything from Bergen was pretty great. I'm not much a fan of the Dallas recordings.
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-07 01:29:37 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Andrew Clarke
Any Americans?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Litton is something like 63. I only know him from recordings and thought everything from Bergen was pretty great. I'm not much a fan of the Dallas recordings.
Still 62, and the conductor of a splendid The Planets / Enigma Variations from Bergen, plus, I'm sure, a lot of other good things.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-10-07 01:24:35 UTC
Klaus Mäkelä is 26.
Dan Koren
2021-10-08 21:06:49 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I looked at the lifespan of jazz musicians and for
some reason trombonists came out best. But looks
like going down in size to a baton gives you a pretty
good lifespan. Unlike trumpeters they don't seem to
Also lowers CO2 emissions. The brass should be
outlawed.
Post by Andy Evans
be shot by jealous girlfriends, which is something. I
imagine that conductors are no strangers to the odd
peccadillo, though.
Some very big names in their 80s and 90s. Does make
you ask who's at that level in the newer generations.
Tomomi Nishimoto.

dk
Chris J.
2021-10-06 16:25:06 UTC
Herbert Blomstedt, 94 Christoph von Dohnanyi, 92 Bernard Haitink, 92
Richard Bonynge, 90 James Loughran, 90 Roger Norrington, 87 Seiji Ozawa,
86 Zubin Mehta, 85 Charles Dutoit, 84 Neeme Jarvi, 84 Yuri Termikanov,
82 Jose Serebrier, 82 Marek Janowski, 81 Edo de Waart, 80 Riccardo Muti,
80 Matthias Bamert, 79 Daniel Barenboim, 78 Dennis Russell Davies, 77
Andrew Davis, 77 Leonard Slatkin, 77 Michael Tilson Thomas, 76
Hartmut Haenchen, 78. Still active as far as I know.

Chris
ro...@verizon.net
2021-10-06 17:16:37 UTC
David Zinman, born 1936, age 85 0r 86, but I don't know if he's still performing.
Kerrison
2021-10-06 20:01:28 UTC
Post by Chris J.
Hartmut Haenchen, 78. Still active as far as I know.
Yes. He just came out of a case of covid. He's conducting in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Austria.
Another I've been told about is the French conductor, Serge Baudo, now aged 94, though his Wiki entry only takes us up to the late 1980s, so I guess he too has retired.
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-06 23:12:39 UTC
Post by Kerrison
[...]
Sir John Eliot Gardiner, 78. Still going so far as I know.
William Christie, 76. I had no idea that some fine HIP conductors had started off as musicians with Les Ars Florissants until I read the Wikipedia article.
Sir Mark Elder, 74. A bit young.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-07 04:26:19 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Kerrison
Stokowski was still making records at the age of 95 but was he the oldest ever to be doing so? ... I'm not sure if all the above named are still active or have retired. Haitink certainly has and doubtless some or most of the others have too. Maybe someone will know for sure. Add any other names that come to mind!
William Christie, 76. I had no idea that some fine HIP conductors had started off as musicians with Les Ars Florissants until I read the Wikipedia article.
This includes Marc Minkowski (49) who conducted the glorious Laurent Pelly productions of La Grande Duchesse de Gerolstein, Orf'ee dans les Enfers and La Belle Helene, not just French baroque or Mozart.
Meanwhile another fine French HIP conductor comes to mind, Raphael Pichon (36). I'm sure his hugely talented and very beautiful wife keeps him young.. BTW the person who translated the French notes for his video of the Monteverdi Vespers should know that you can't translate "les mythiques Vepres de Monteverdi" as "the mythical Vespers of Monteverdi" because in Englsh, "mythical" implies that something has no real existence. "The legendary Vespers" is the right way to do it. Italians must have the same problem: I still own a cheap but technically very good audiocassette of Italian manufacture called "Johnny Dodds: the myth of New Orleans". Les faux amis partout ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-07 10:56:15 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Meanwhile another fine French HIP conductor comes to mind, Raphael Pichon (36). I'm sure his hugely talented and very beautiful wife keeps him young.
I forgot to mention that M. Pichon's choir for the Monteverdi Vespers contains yet another Jacinta Ardern look-alike. She is also one of the soloists. They are starting to take over. They'll be conducting the Concertgebouw next.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
vhorowitz
I don’t think Günther Herbig has been mentioned, but he’s 89, and still active.
Bob Harper
2021-10-07 13:57:55 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Andrew Clarke
Meanwhile another fine French HIP conductor comes to mind, Raphael Pichon (36). I'm sure his hugely talented and very beautiful wife keeps him young.
I forgot to mention that M. Pichon's choir for the Monteverdi Vespers contains yet another Jacinta Ardern look-alike. She is also one of the soloists. They are starting to take over. They'll be conducting the Concertgebouw next.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
I don’t think Günther Herbig has been mentioned, but he’s 89, and still active.
Robert Trevino (37). Haven't heard any of his recordings (the Ravel got
a rave in Classics Today), but heard him live in Portland doing the
Shostakovich 11th--a fabulous performance.

Bob Harper
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-08 20:51:13 UTC
Robert Trevino (37). Haven't heard any of his recordings (the Ravel got
a rave in Classics Today), but heard him live in Portland doing the
Shostakovich 11th--a fabulous performance.
Gustavo Gimeno (45) has just conducted the Berlin Phil. for the first time. The performance, together with Herbert Blomstedt's recent Bruckner 5, is now available at the Digital Concert Hall.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Herman
2021-10-07 13:39:17 UTC
it's like a Jacinta virus!
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-08 02:43:00 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
I forgot to mention that M. Pichon's choir for the Monteverdi Vespers contains yet another Jacinta Ardern look-alike. She is also one of the soloists. They are starting to take over. They'll be conducting the Concertgebouw next.
it's like a Jacinta virus!
Her name is Lea Desandre.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Dan Koren
2021-10-08 00:32:07 UTC
Post by Kerrison
On the "Past Movies" Google Group forum
they list the world's oldest actors and actresses
from time to time. Here is a list - undoubtedly
incomplete - of some of the world's current
No word about the world's oldest voltage conductors?
Post by Kerrison
above named are still active or have retired.
Haitink certainly has and doubtless some
or most of the others have too. Maybe
someone will know for sure. Add any
other names that come to mind!
Haitink was already retired on the podium!

2021-10-08 01:01:59 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Haitink was already retired on the podium!
dk
You have absolutely no idea about music, other than adoring / ogling Asian young women.
You have stellar bad taste.
Haitink is revered among orchestra musicians and soloists, guess why?
Dan Koren
2021-10-08 01:11:08 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Haitink was already retired on the podium!
You have absolutely no idea about music,
other than adoring / ogling Asian young
women. You have stellar bad taste.
De gustibus.
Post by Herman
Haitink is revered among orchestra
musicians and soloists, guess why?
He never pissed off anyone. He had
no personality.

2021-10-08 01:23:43 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
He never pissed off anyone. He had
no personality.
dk
You're also amazingly badly informed.
Haitink's career is full of conflicts with various orchestras / managements.
Haitink is a very difficult person.

Some people still base their opinion of Haitink on his Philips recordings from the first half of his career, when his producer thought an LP should be a museum piece, note perfect.
The Haitink I'm talking about is the live musician. You have probably never even seen him live.
You'd really do well to stop posting about music, which you know nothing about.
Dan Koren
2021-10-08 01:29:21 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
He never pissed off anyone. He had
no personality.
You're also amazingly badly informed.
How so?
Post by Herman
Haitink's career is full of conflicts with
various orchestras / managements.
Haitink is a very difficult person.
I meant no personality is discernible in
his performances and recordings. After
decades on this ng you should know
the local lang better.
Post by Herman
Some people still base their opinion of
Haitink on his Philips recordings from
the first half of his career, when his
producer thought an LP should be a
museum piece, note perfect.
He did not have to authorize their release.
Post by Herman
The Haitink I'm talking about is the live
musician. You have probably never even
seen him live.
Actually, I have. He put me to sleep. The
Concertgebouw is such a nice bedroom
with a perfect sound system!
Post by Herman
You'd really do well to stop posting about
music, which you know nothing about.
Just like everyone else on this newsgroup.

dk
Dan Koren

dk
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-08 02:45:36 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
And as I said earlier, I prefer voltage
conductors to current conductors.
Ohm my God!

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
still watching Raphael Pichon's choir, where the men are strong, the women are good looking and although there are no children visible, I'm sure they are all well above average.
Andrew Clarke
2021-10-08 02:50:58 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
No word about the world's oldest voltage conductors?
What about current sopranos?

<http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Amps-Kym.htm>

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Dan Koren
2021-10-08 04:00:33 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Dan Koren
No word about the world's oldest voltage conductors?
What about current sopranos?
<http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Amps-Kym.htm>
I prefer voltage sopranos!

dk
Owen
2021-10-11 20:30:33 UTC
Post by Kerrison
above named are still active or have retired.
Haitink certainly has and doubtless some
or most of the others have too. Maybe
someone will know for sure. Add any
other names that come to mind!
Haitink was already retired on the podium!
dk
Placido Domingo is 80, and has done some conducting, but perhaps he is
only a semiconductor.

-Owen
Graham
2021-10-11 21:25:38 UTC
Post by Owen
Post by Kerrison
above named are still active or have retired.
Haitink certainly has and doubtless some
or most of the others have too. Maybe
someone will know for sure. Add any
other names that come to mind!
Haitink was already retired on the podium!
dk
Placido Domingo is 80, and has done some conducting, but perhaps he is
only a semiconductor.
-Owen
I think there's some resistance from the women he encounters, from all
reports.
number_six
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Graham
Will that impede him?
Dan Koren
2021-10-12 01:24:53 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.

dk
Steven Bornfeld
There won't be any ohmage
Graham
Watt?
Dan Koren
2021-10-12 20:18:43 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
There won't be any ohmage
Watt?
No watts, only a couple of teslas.

dk
Dan Koren
2021-10-12 20:22:53 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
There won't be any ohmage
Watt?
No Watts, only a couple of Gauss!

dk
Owen
2021-10-14 03:20:40 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
There won't be any ohmage
Watt?
No Watts, only a couple of Gauss!
dk
Looks like we've run the complete circuit of electrical puns.

-Owen
Dan Koren
2021-10-14 03:34:13 UTC
Post by Owen
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
There won't be any ohmage
Watt?
No Watts, only a couple of Gauss!
Looks like we've run the complete circuit of electrical puns.
Maxwell? Peter Maxwell Davies?

dk
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-10-14 06:31:08 UTC
Post by Owen
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
There won't be any ohmage
Watt?
No Watts, only a couple of Gauss!
dk
Looks like we've run the complete circuit of electrical puns.
-Owen
Not until the permittivity and permeability of free space can be punned.

Ray Hall, Taree

Andrew Clarke
2021-10-12 23:45:17 UTC
Post by Steven Bornfeld
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
I think there's some resistance from the women he
encounters, from all reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Low capacitance => low voltage.
dk
There won't be any ohmage

Meanwhile, Edward Gardner, 46, is now Principal Conductor of the London Philharmonic as well as chief conductor of the Bergen.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
2021-10-12 21:26:24 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by number_six
Post by Graham
Post by Owen
Post by Kerrison
above named are still active or have retired.
Haitink certainly has and doubtless some
or most of the others have too. Maybe
someone will know for sure. Add any
other names that come to mind!
Haitink was already retired on the podium!
dk
Placido Domingo is 80, and has done some conducting, but perhaps he is
only a semiconductor.
-Owen
I think there's some resistance from the women he encounters, from all
reports.
At his current age, it's unlikely he has any capacitance!
Will that impede him?
Yes, if he takes one in the family Joules...