Leinsdorf Boston Box????
2018-08-08 10:58:55 UTC
Do you think there would be any interest in a complete Leinsdorf Boston box????
Mike
2018-08-08 11:21:33 UTC
There should be, but recognizing that it's not likely, I got this < http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Classical-Collection-Boxed-Set_000000000088040/item_The-Art-of-Erich-Leinsdorf-40CD_8077368 > late last year. In addition to lots of non-BSO recordings, it contains items issued on CD (if at all), only as limited edition products by Tower/Japan such as the Schumann Symphonies, the Brahms symphonies, and others. You can use Google translate (or just copy the link into Chrome) to see the full listing.
Jerry
2018-08-08 11:46:13 UTC
Thanks for posting that information on the Artis box, that
I believe is a Korean enterprise. Can anyone share first-hand
knowledge of the transfer quality or transfer sources for any
of these Artis boxes?

Jerry
m***@gmail.com
I was wondering that myself - I would think many of the Leinsdof Boston recordings could use a good remastering
drh8h
2018-08-08 13:29:47 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
Thanks for posting that information on the Artis box, that
I believe is a Korean enterprise. Can anyone share first-hand
knowledge of the transfer quality or transfer sources for any
of these Artis boxes?
Jerry
I was wondering that myself - I would think many of the Leinsdof Boston recordings could use a good remastering
He recorded for Columbia all the way back in Cleveland days. The Philadelphia under pseudonym for RCA; Rochester for Columbia. A box of his non-operatic recordings for Columbia and RCA would be great, if some of the RCAs were remastered. But would it sell? Through the 60s, RCA Victor really pushed the Leinsdorf/Boston combine on the public with the pretentious "The Aristocrat of Orchestras" branding, but neither critics nor public ever seemed to buy into it. I think the "Leinsdorf doesn't sell" attitude is out there. It would be relatively easy for Warner to do a Leinsdorf Icon Box. But I haven't seen it. Even many of his opera recordings have had little exposure on CD, esp. the ones owned by Decca. Ariadne, Don Giovanni, Nozze....

DH
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-08 14:12:32 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
[...]
I think RCA had that "The Aristocrat of Orchestras" thing going even when Munch was on the podium. My take on it was that Aristocrats are those to whom things are given. But as a Clevelander, I've believed that nothing is given, everything is earned. ;)

I don't think a complete RCA/Columbia Leinsdorf box would be particularly daunting, even if the Cleveland and other mono items are included. A lot of Leinsdorf material already exists on CD, including the Beethoven Symphonies, the concertos with Rubinstein, the Prokofiev Concertos with Browning.

Of course, if everything is to be remastered (the Prokofiev Concertos need it), that's another ballgame.

Hank
drh8h
2018-08-08 14:37:29 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by drh8h
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
[...]
Re the Concertos: are you referring to the Testament or Prokofiev box transfers? I have not heard the latter, but reports were they were vastly inferior.

DH
h***@gmail.com
2018-08-08 14:44:02 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by drh8h
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
[...]
I've only heard the transfers used for the John Browning box. Not good.

Hank
MarkM
2018-08-08 14:48:25 UTC
The concerto recordings on the Leinsdorf/Prokofiev box were definitely inferior to the Testament releases. After I purchased the box several years ago and listened to the concertos, I still held on to the Testament CDs I already had in my collection.
Randy Lane
2018-08-08 17:04:52 UTC
Artis, Venias, and Ars Nova boxes all use (pirate?) other CD issues as considered public domain in most of Asia.
I have a fewvdozen, and for the price I am very happy.
I have no expectation that any are new or superior masterings.
j***@yahoo.com
2018-08-08 22:49:02 UTC
As much as I would welcome a Leinsdorf / Boston box, I would like to see a complete Mehta / Decca box more so.
I still enjoy Mehta’s 60s and 70s analogue recordings done in Vienna and LA for sonics if nothing else. I suggested this years ago in this newsgroup and Simon R said no one would buy it. Well, maybe UMG would consider it further now that they’ve already done boxes for most of their top-tier artists of past. Scrapping the barrel bottom must come sooner or later.
Frank Berger
2018-08-08 23:02:40 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
As much as I would welcome a Leinsdorf / Boston box, I would like to see a complete Mehta / Decca box more so.
I still enjoy Mehta’s 60s and 70s analogue recordings done in Vienna and LA for sonics if nothing else. I suggested this years ago in this newsgroup and Simon R said no one would buy it. Well, maybe UMG would consider it further now that they’ve already done boxes for most of their top-tier artists of past. Scrapping the barrel bottom must come sooner or later.
I recall a PBS or maybe a local LA TV program in the 70s where Mehta was
preparing and performing the 1812 overture with cannon. He was worried
about the cannon going off in tempo, and when they did his face just
exploded in joy. I always wanted that on DVD but never saw it.
Steve Choe
2018-08-09 03:34:27 UTC
I too would enjoy a Mehta LA/Vienna box. Yes, the Decca sonics are wonderful and there would be at least a few first-rate performances in there as well.
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-09 12:25:41 UTC
Post by Steve Choe
Post by j***@yahoo.com
As much as I would welcome a Leinsdorf / Boston box, I would like to see a complete Mehta / Decca box more so.
I still enjoy Mehta’s 60s and 70s analogue recordings done in Vienna and LA for sonics if nothing else. I suggested this years ago in this newsgroup and Simon R said no one would buy it. Well, maybe UMG would consider it further now that they’ve already done boxes for most of their top-tier artists of past. Scrapping the barrel bottom must come sooner or later.
I too would enjoy a Mehta LA/Vienna box. Yes, the Decca sonics are wonderful and there would be at least a few first-rate performances in there as well.
Add some Israel Phil recordings to that box, like the exciting Dvorak 7.

Mark
Frank Berger
2018-08-09 13:45:49 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Steve Choe
Post by j***@yahoo.com
As much as I would welcome a Leinsdorf / Boston box, I would like to see a complete Mehta / Decca box more so.
I still enjoy Mehta’s 60s and 70s analogue recordings done in Vienna and LA for sonics if nothing else. I suggested this years ago in this newsgroup and Simon R said no one would buy it. Well, maybe UMG would consider it further now that they’ve already done boxes for most of their top-tier artists of past. Scrapping the barrel bottom must come sooner or later.
I too would enjoy a Mehta LA/Vienna box. Yes, the Decca sonics are wonderful and there would be at least a few first-rate performances in there as well.
Add some Israel Phil recordings to that box, like the exciting Dvorak 7.
Mark
Not speaking from experience so much, but with some exceptions, it seems
the critics haven't been too fond of the IPO recordings, whether the
sound in the Mann Auditorium or the orchestra, or Mehta's conducting.
Personally, I've enjoyed Mehta's Schubert and Berlioz's Harold in Italy.
Jerry
2018-08-08 11:38:45 UTC
One can hope. My real question is who is (or who are) making these
decisions on big box reissues at Sony. There was a time not that
long ago (and post Sony-BMG acquisition) that the
Leinsdorf Prokofiev box was about 1 disc short of being
“complete,” for no obvious reason. Has there been a change
in leadership since the days of those selective budget box
compilations and the latest clutch of really big box original
jackets collections?

Jerry