Recordings whose stereo release came years after its initial mono release
2018-09-04 00:54:17 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?

Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Alan Dawes
2018-09-04 11:40:18 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Klemperer's earlier recording of Beethoven 7th symphony with the
Philharmonia Orchestra made in 1955. The main recording was made and
issued in mono but an experimental stereo recording was made at the same
time which was issued in the boxed CD set of Beethoven symphonies and
piano concertos EMI 9 73895 2 in 2000. The other symphonies were the later
stereo versions from 1957 and 1959.

I think it was also issued in a 3 disk LP set of 3rd, 5th and 7th as BOX
87303 with the 1955 3rd and 5th in "pretend" stereo and the 1955 7th in
real stereo, but I've only got the LPs not the box or notes (another set I
got from a shop in Barking whose owner had links to the EMI Hayes factory).

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Sol L. Siegel
2018-09-04 12:04:01 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Cantelli's Franck symphony.

Thor Johnson's Cincinnati Dvorak 8 and Sibelius Pohjola's
Daughter and Origin of Fire.

Both 1950's lps that made it to stereo in the 1980's.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
m***@gmail.com
2018-09-04 22:17:50 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by g***@gmail.com
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Cantelli's Franck symphony.
Thor Johnson's Cincinnati Dvorak 8 and Sibelius Pohjola's
Daughter and Origin of Fire.
Both 1950's lps that made it to stereo in the 1980's.
I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
The Decca Erede Verdi Otello
The Bohm Frau
The Keilberth 1955 Hollander
All of the Decca Belgrade operas (except for Boris which remains mono)
l***@gmail.com
Some "incidental stereo" has emerged in the last decade. These include Duke Ellington in 1932, and Artie Shaw, and Glenn Miller from movies of the 1940s. They were from separate simultaneous takes with differing mike setups. When properly combined and synchronized, they were ,in a sense, true stereo, albeit unintended. Also, an English recording engineer named Alan Blumlein recorded stereo sounds in about 1932, including him walking across a stage from left to right.
Mark Zimmer
There was a recent CD of recordings by Elgar that had a number of accidental stereo tracks resulting from double miking. Pristine Classical offers a selection of such tracks from the 1930s by Koussevitzky and Stokowski as well: https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc422
Randy Lane
2018-09-05 15:38:44 UTC
Does the Karajan LvB 9th with the Philharmonia qualify?
wanwan
2018-09-04 22:21:04 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Rubinstein/Reiner Brahms 1
Karajan Philharmonia Beethoven 9
Szell Haydn Symphony?
Szell some french overture

-----------
Eric
Mark Obert-Thorn
2018-09-04 23:41:02 UTC
Several of these were released on open-reel stereo tapes at the time of their original release (the Munch Fantastique, the Monteux Nocturnes, the Klemperer Beethoven 7th, I think the Thor Johnson recordings, etc.) but did not make it to stereo LP or CD until much later.

Mark O-T
oldeastsider
2018-09-05 23:26:02 UTC
Nicolai Malko's recordings of Prokofief's 1st & 7th symphonies.
Sol L. Siegel
2018-09-06 02:18:33 UTC
Post by oldeastsider
Post by g***@gmail.com
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Nicolai Malko's recordings of Prokofief's 1st & 7th symphonies.
EMI's first stereo recordings, IIRC. Too bad the 7th uses the altered
ending. (Would Malko have known about that then?)

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
g***@gmail.com
2018-09-17 01:20:50 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
What about this album?:

https://www.discogs.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-Morton-Gould-And-His-Orchestra-Scheherazade-In-High-Fidelity/release/7735459
JohnA
2018-09-17 01:43:00 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
https://www.discogs.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-Morton-Gould-And-His-Orchestra-Scheherazade-In-High-Fidelity/release/7735459
What about it?

By the way, this album:

https://www.discogs.com/Igor-Stravinsky-New-York-PhilharmonicWestminster-Choir-Stravinsky-Persephone/release/1680495

was released in mono only in 1957; the stereo version wouldn't see the light of day until 2015 in the Complete Columbia Album Collection box.
g***@gmail.com
2018-11-06 03:05:08 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
https://www.discogs.com/Rimsky-Korsakov-Morton-Gould-And-His-Orchestra-Scheherazade-In-High-Fidelity/release/7735459
(Recent Youtube upload):

GOULD: Scheherazade: Morton Gould & His Orchestra, 1955, restored.
g***@gmail.com
2018-09-20 16:39:35 UTC
Munch's 1st Symphonie F.?
Debussy's Nocturnes by Monteux?
Concerning Reiner's EROICA:

- I have heard it said that no stereo version was made but find this hard to believe. The Eroica was recorded on December 4th, 1954, months after Reiner's Zarathustra and Heldenleben which are both available in stereo.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&ei=WsyjW4GeKIOz8APItLGoCg&q=%22I+have+heard+it+said+that+no+stereo+version+was+made+but+find+this+hard+to%22&oq=%22I+have+heard+it+said+that+no+stereo+version+was+made+but+find+this+hard+to%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12045.19710.0.20519.26.18.0.0.0.0.168.1649.8j7.15.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..13.4.490...0j0i19k1.0.O8g2W_tqRwc