Abbado: Recorded legacy
td
2014-01-20 18:14:10 UTC
Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?

Is there an online discography?

I was checking my shelves. There I found three boxes on Sony containing slim-boxes, 5 CDs in each, I think. Then the Tchaikovsky Symphony Box, also on Sony.

Also found the two complete Beethoven cycles, one with the Vienna Philharmonic (nla, I think) and the other with the Berlin Philharmonic. And the Mahler box. All from DG. Plus a half shelf full of individual DG CDs.(Not sure that Symphony Box is really something I "need", but I don't recall the Mozart symphonies on individual CDs)

I had forgotten his Mozart Picos with Pires. He also recorded a bunch with Rudy Serkin as well as Friedrich Gulda, all for DG.

And there is even a CD of Rach 2 with Cecile Licad. Remember her? And Shlomo Mintz? And don't I own a set of Brandenburg Concertos with Abbado on the Ricordi label?

Abbado did all kinds of things. And then there are all the operas, which will interest many here.

So, is there a discography of Abbado's legacy (to date, as we are about to get a "live" K 503 and 466 with Argerich)?

TD
s***@hotmail.com
2014-01-20 18:40:37 UTC
Don't know about a discography, but there is a lot more. Looking at my virtual shelves I see the Brandenburgs on DG, Pergolesi, requiems (Mozart, Verdi), several discs of Mozart concerti with Orchestra Mozart. Several other concerto discs with Argerich besides the new Mozart you mentioned (Tchaikovsky, Ravel (both twice), Liszt, Chopin, Beethoven) and there is Pollini (Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok, Schumann, Schoenbeeg), Vengerov, Pahud, Perahia, Kissin. And two New Years concerts from Vienna and one from Berlin. A great legacy!
td
2014-01-20 18:47:33 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Don't know about a discography, but there is a lot more. Looking at my virtual shelves I see the Brandenburgs on DG, Pergolesi, requiems (Mozart, Verdi), several discs of Mozart concerti with Orchestra Mozart. Several other concerto discs with Argerich besides the new Mozart you mentioned (Tchaikovsky, Ravel (both twice), Liszt, Chopin, Beethoven) and there is Pollini (Beethoven, Brahms, Bartok, Schumann, Schoenbeeg), Vengerov, Pahud, Perahia, Kissin. And two New Years concerts from Vienna and one from Berlin. A great legacy!
Nothing here I am unaware of. But it would be good to see it all laid out in a discography. Surely one is available somewhere online?

TD
themusicparlour
2014-01-20 19:01:39 UTC
...presumably inputting
....claudio abaddo discography
......into google is too difficult for ipad san??

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/claudio/abbado/discography/discography_frame.html
themusicparlour
2014-01-20 19:03:02 UTC
...presumably inputting

s***@hotmail.com
2014-01-20 19:31:13 UTC
How much is missing? Just more recent recordings?
rkhalona
2014-01-20 19:32:27 UTC
Post by themusicparlour
...presumably inputting
....claudio abbado discography
......into google is too difficult for ipad san??
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/claudio/abbado/discography/discography_frame.html
One elusive item in the Abbado discography is his early Beethoven 8th with the VPO for Decca (1968). I was not aware he had recorded it until Australian Eloquence released it on CD coupled with his Bruckner 1st with the VPO from a year later (that recoding had been released on CD before the Eloquence release, both in Japan and in the West). It is pretty much a young man's Beethoven 8th, entirely in keeping with the work's sunny character. I enjoy this recording very much.

RK
td
2014-01-20 19:37:19 UTC
Post by rkhalona
Post by themusicparlour
...presumably inputting
....claudio abbado discography
......into google is too difficult for ipad san??
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/claudio/abbado/discography/discography_frame.html
One elusive item in the Abbado discography is his early Beethoven 8th with the VPO for Decca (1968). I was not aware he had recorded it until Australian Eloquence released it on CD coupled with his Bruckner 1st with the VPO from a year later (that recoding had been released on CD before the Eloquence release, both in Japan and in the West). It is pretty much a young man's Beethoven 8th, entirely in keeping with the work's sunny character. I enjoy this recording very much.
The Beethoven 8 is included in the Abbado: the Decca Years box.

TD
Steve de Mena
2014-01-21 07:17:09 UTC
Post by rkhalona
Post by themusicparlour
...presumably inputting
....claudio abbado discography
......into google is too difficult for ipad san??
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/claudio/abbado/discography/discography_frame.html
One elusive item in the Abbado discography is his early Beethoven 8th with the VPO for Decca (1968). I was not aware he had recorded it until Australian Eloquence released it on CD coupled with his Bruckner 1st with the VPO from a year later (that recoding had been released on CD before the Eloquence release, both in Japan and in the West). It is pretty much a young man's Beethoven 8th, entirely in keeping with the work's sunny character. I enjoy this recording very much.
RK
It's in the 2013 "The Decca Years" 7-CD set:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Decca-Years-Claudio-Abbado/dp/B00BN1QV1M

Steve
td
2014-01-20 19:34:08 UTC
Post by themusicparlour
...presumably inputting
....claudio abbado discography
......into google is too difficult for ipad san??
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/claudio/abbado/discography/discography_frame.html
Too bad there is no discographic information in this "discography".

In fact it is merely a list of recorded repertoire, producer, and recording company.

Does "know-it-all-knows-nothing" not know what a discography looks like.

TD
themusicparlour
2014-01-20 20:05:23 UTC
"Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?"

....whereas you want lp/cd numbers - matrices - listings of every issue/reissue so you can to add to the 'linear feet' of cd's (never played) ??

"Abbado did all kinds of things" .... probably mostly eminently forgettable - and not exactly 'collectible' as far as the japs are concerned.
td
2014-01-20 22:29:21 UTC
Post by themusicparlour
"Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?"
....whereas you want lp/cd numbers - matrices - listings of every issue/reissue so you can to add to the 'linear feet' of cd's (never played) ??
Got to fill those shelves, you know.

But yes, it would be good to see release information, availability on CD (or only on LP), etc.

That is precisely what a "discography" provides.

Unlike the "list of recorded repertoire" which is offered here, nice as that is.

TD
themusicparlour
2014-01-20 23:08:45 UTC
OK "Mr CD's Bought By The Yard.."

...presumably you haven't got this on CD - as apparently only in a 1977 LP (which I have: 'blows raspberry'!) - no US release: DG 2563 555 "From the Heart" (in aid of Cancer Research) - where, amongst other DG artistes, Abbado conducts: Mozart: Nozze di Figaro - overture (Vienna PO: 13/5/75. Musikvereinsaal) & Verdi: Don Carlo (LSO/P.Domingo - 15/2/75. EMI Studio 1) - details included in the 'nice' listing, sans release info...
td
2014-01-21 01:03:18 UTC
So, rather useless.

TD
themusicparlour
2014-01-21 01:38:13 UTC
Post by td
So, rather useless.
But better than nothing; and the above 2 items could well be his only LP [published] recordings that didn't make it to CD - and would be difficult to identify thus in a 'real' discography with catalogue/release details...

....but the only Abbado LP I'd consider 'essential' is the Decca/LSO Prokofiev:'Chout/R&J'.
Ray Hall
2014-01-21 01:31:29 UTC
Post by themusicparlour
"Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?"
....whereas you want lp/cd numbers - matrices - listings of every issue/reissue so you can to add to the 'linear feet' of cd's (never played) ??
"Abbado did all kinds of things" .... probably mostly eminently forgettable - and not exactly 'collectible' as far as the japs are concerned.
For me Abbado was probably, and from all reports was, a wonderful man.
But his conducting never shook the world for me.

Ray Hall, Taree
Willem Orange
I preferred his orchestral work to his operatic work in the studio almost all of which was technically fine but lacking in real passion or drive.
Norman Schwartz
2014-01-21 18:48:33 UTC
Post by Ray Hall
Post by themusicparlour
"Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his
recorded legacy?" ....whereas you want lp/cd numbers - matrices -
listings of every
issue/reissue so you can to add to the 'linear feet' of cd's (never
played) ?? "Abbado did all kinds of things" .... probably mostly
eminently
forgettable - and not exactly 'collectible' as far as the japs are
concerned.
For me Abbado was probably, and from all reports was, a wonderful man.
I have to wonder how wonderful a man Helene Grimaud thought he was. ;-)
Ray Hall, Taree
Terry
2014-01-22 06:34:05 UTC
Post by Ray Hall
Post by themusicparlour
"Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?"
....whereas you want lp/cd numbers - matrices - listings of every
issue/reissue so you can to add to the 'linear feet' of cd's (never played)
??
"Abbado did all kinds of things" .... probably mostly eminently forgettable
- and not exactly 'collectible' as far as the japs are concerned.
For me Abbado was probably, and from all reports was, a wonderful man.
But his conducting never shook the world for me.
Ray Hall, Taree
By God, it did for me. The most electrifying Tchikovsky Symphony #4 and
Il Trovatore spring instantly to mind.
Steve de Mena
2014-01-23 08:26:14 UTC
Post by Terry
By God, it did for me. The most electrifying Tchikovsky Symphony #4 and
Il Trovatore spring instantly to mind.
Abbado recorded Il Trovatore?

Steve
Willem Orange
Maybe he's mixing him up with Giulini????
jrsnfld
2014-01-23 18:53:46 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by Terry
By God, it did for me. The most electrifying Tchikovsky Symphony #4 and
Il Trovatore spring instantly to mind.
Abbado recorded Il Trovatore?
Steve
You have to wonder...as with Prokofiev 5, for example...what Abbado had against Il Trovatore, if anything. Same with Rigoletto and La Traviata. He did record a couple arias from these operas.

--Jeff
Oscar
2014-01-24 00:56:05 UTC
From Los Angeles Times http://tiny.cc/76159w

<< Critic's Pick: Claudio Abbado on disc
By Mark Swed, Los Angeles Times Music Critic
January 22, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

When Claudio Abbado, the revered Italian conductor who died Monday, turned 80 last summer, record companies celebrated with several super-sized box sets of his recordings and videos. It's not hard to find discs with which to spend the weekend remembering one of the greats.

Abbado's career was a grand one, fairly well documented. He headed and/or recorded with the Vienna Philharmonic and Berlin Philharmonic, with the London Symphony and Chicago Symphony, with the Vienna State Opera and La Scala. His interpretations of the 19th-century masters - Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Bruckner, Mahler, Verdi, Rossini - are exquisitely accomplished. Abbado was a polisher and took no note for granted.

But sometimes his mid-career recordings can sound almost too reliable. It's the vibrant early and the masterly moving late performances that really shine, as well as the more offbeat.

For the feisty early Abbado, turn to his work with the Chicago Symphony in the 1980s and absolutely anything he recorded with Martha Argerich. Her Argentine spontaneity and his Milanese elegance both had Latin roots and proved spectacularly complementary.

Abbado's other great pianist partner was Maurizio Pollini. Their recordings of Beethoven and Brahms concertos are refined classics. But they were also pals in adventure. An overlooked DVD is Bettina Ehrhardt's documentary, "A Trail on the Water," devoted to Abbado's and Pollini's friendship with the avant-garde Italian composer Luigi Nono. The Pollini and Abbado recordings of Nono's works also remain astonishing.

Far too little exists on video of Abbado's glorious opera performances in Milan and Vienna. But there are DVDs of politically astute Jean-Pierre Ponnelle-directed productions, Rossini's "The Italian Girl in Algiers" and "The Barber of Seville." The best from Vienna are intense versions of Berg's "Wozzeck" and Strauss' "Elektra."

Abbado's late recordings (from 2000, when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer and had much of his digestive tract removed) to 2012 are extraordinary. His Mahler is detailed and pointed. His recordings of Mozart's "Magic Flute," Beethoven's "Fidelio" and Verdi's "Falstaff" are close to perfection.

In the 2001 "Falstaff," by the way, Nannetta is sung by a shining emerging German soprano, Dorothea Röschmann, fresh from studying at USC. It so happens she returns to the Southland on Monday night now a star, singing the title role of Handel's "Theodora" with the English Concert at the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall in Costa Mesa.

One of Abbado's proud last projects was founding Orchestra Mozart, composed of Italy's liveliest young musicians. No better proof that the conductor's spirit lives on and that, even in sadness, yours may soar, is to visit his recordings with this band. In Bach's "Brandenburg" Concertos and several Mozart symphonies and concertos, Abbado, who took a late interest in early performing practice, discovered a whole new process for retaining the absolute freshness of overplayed music. >>
graham
2014-01-20 19:39:09 UTC
"td" <***@mac.com> wrote in message news:02e0b87b-27f0-4d7b-8913-***@googlegroups.com...
[...]

There's a particularly fine Rite with the LSO on DGG.
Graham
Steve de Mena
2014-01-20 19:46:20 UTC
Post by td
Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?
Is there an online discography?
I was checking my shelves. There I found three boxes on Sony containing slim-boxes, 5 CDs in each, I think. Then the Tchaikovsky Symphony Box, also on Sony.
Also found the two complete Beethoven cycles, one with the Vienna Philharmonic (nla, I think) and the other with the > Berlin Philharmonic.
There are almost two complete cycles from the Berlin Philharmonic. The
first 2000 set and then a live set of symphonies 1-8 from Rome
recorded in 2001 after his stomach cancer surgery (that set includes
the 2000 Symphony No.9 recorded in the Berlin Philharmonie). DG
deleted the initial 2000 set in 2008 when they released the 2001
recordings. The Rome recordings of 1-8 are on video also, with a
different 9th recorded in 2000 in Berlin (not the one on CD).

Some more Info: Loading Image...

There's also a 1996 Beethoven 9 on Sony with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Steve
td
2014-01-20 22:27:20 UTC
Post by Steve de Mena
Post by td
Abbado's death has stimulated a question in my mind. What is his recorded legacy?
Is there an online discography?
I was checking my shelves. There I found three boxes on Sony containing slim-boxes, 5 CDs in each, I think. Then the Tchaikovsky Symphony Box, also on Sony.
Also found the two complete Beethoven cycles, one with the Vienna Philharmonic (nla, I think) and the other with the > Berlin Philharmonic.
There are almost two complete cycles from the Berlin Philharmonic. The
first 2000 set and then a live set of symphonies 1-8 from Rome
recorded in 2001 after his stomach cancer surgery (that set includes
the 2000 Symphony No.9 recorded in the Berlin Philharmonie). DG
deleted the initial 2000 set in 2008 when they released the 2001
recordings.
Funny thing is it is STILL available.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Karita-Mattila/dp/B00004YZ33/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1390256743&sr=1-7&keywords=Abbado+Berlin+Beethoven

TD
Mr. Mike
2014-01-21 01:49:57 UTC
Years ago, Abbado conducted a cycle of Brahms symphonies, each one
with a different orchestra: Dresden State Orchestra, Vienna
Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic and London Symphony. Does anyone
know if this was ever issued on CD >anywhere< (like Japan, for
instance)? I know there are copies on vinyl available at various
places relatively cheaply...
RLane
2014-01-21 03:15:40 UTC
Available from Tower Japan:

http://tinyurl.com/ktwpufl

If you don't want to deal with ordering from Japan you might try CDBANQ.COM
--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Alex Brown
2014-01-22 08:17:28 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
Years ago, Abbado conducted a cycle of Brahms symphonies, each one
with a different orchestra: Dresden State Orchestra, Vienna
Philharmonic, Berlin Philharmonic and London Symphony. Does anyone
know if this was ever issued on CD >anywhere< (like Japan, for
instance)? I know there are copies on vinyl available at various
places relatively cheaply...
Symphony No 2 is in the big Berliner Philharmoniker Cenenary box. Recorded in the Jesus-Christus-Kirche 1970 it is, as you might expect, very fine.

- Alex.
Bozo
2014-01-21 03:02:52 UTC
His Bartok Piano Concertos ( Nos. 1 and 2 ) with Pollini on DGG were stunning recordings, I'm not sure their No.1 ever equalled ( ? ).
jrsnfld
2014-01-21 03:58:37 UTC
Post by td
Abbado did all kinds of things.
His Bartok Piano Concertos ( Nos. 1 and 2 ) with Pollini on DGG were stunning recordings, I'm not sure their No.1 ever equalled ( ? ).
Great choice, not to be forgotten. Other accompaniments yielded similarly outstanding recordings, like the Pollini Beethoven cycle and the Prokofiev, Bruch, and Mendelssohn Concerti with Mintz for DG, and the Brahms with Victoria Mullova on Philips.

Easily missed (because they were on EMI) was the two disc cycle of Hindemith Chamber Concerti with Berlin Philharmonic musicians. Abbado's Hindemith was uniformly good, but this is a very nice set to remember him by. Already mentioned was the delightful Pergolesi Stabat Mater with the LSO. Another valuable part of his discography was the "Wien Modern" series on DG, with Kurtag, Nono, Ligeti, and others. I will also treasure his Mussorgsky, particularly that early recording of the original version of Night on Bare Mountain for RCA (re-recorded just as well on DG).

Aside from opera, Abbado's greatest recordings seem to come late in his career, although there are many highlights from earlier days. His collaboration with Lucerne Festival Orchestra was one of the greatest musical partnerships.

--Jeff
g***@gmail.com
2014-01-21 07:46:45 UTC
Post by td
[...]
Any reactions to the following recording?:

http://www.1000recordings.com/music/prokofiev-piano-concerto-no-3/
jrsnfld
2014-01-21 21:47:35 UTC
http://www.1000recordings.com/music/prokofiev-piano-concerto-no-3/
Plenty has already been said...great pianist, great accompaniment. The question is, with so much flair for Prokofiev, why didn't Abbado record more of it?

--Jeff
Sol L. Siegel
2014-01-22 02:02:15 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by g***@gmail.com
http://www.1000recordings.com/music/prokofiev-piano-concerto-no-3/
Plenty has already been said...great pianist, great accompaniment. The
question is, with so much flair for Prokofiev, why didn't Abbado
record more of it?
I have Nevsky and the Kije and Scythian Suites. Amazon lists a fair
amount of other stuff. There's even a 3rd Symphony, from early in his
career, on Australian Eloquence.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
jrsnfld
2014-01-22 04:00:18 UTC
jrsnfld wrote in
...The
question is, with so much flair for Prokofiev, why didn't Abbado
record more of it?
I have Nevsky and the Kije and Scythian Suites. Amazon lists a fair
amount of other stuff. There's even a 3rd Symphony, from early in his
career, on Australian Eloquence.
Yes, but obviously the big hole I was referring to is the lack of a 5th symphony, or 2, 4, 6 and 7 for that matter. How many conductors identified with Prokofiev as Abbado was (starting with that early Decca disc with the LSO and the collaboration with Argerich) never bothered with the 5th? And what about the other piano concerti, or more ballet music? Or the operas?

There are other glaring omissions, due, I'm sure, to Abbado's own decisions. How do you record "Scenes from Faust" but (very belatedly) only one of the three Schumann symphonies? How many Italians shun Respighi? No interest in Shostakovich? No Bruckner 8? No "Lulu"? I wonder if Abbado ever looked into Swan Lake, given his consistent attention to Shostakovich. How do you record Dvorak 8 and 9 but not give the 7th more serious attention? How do you take the time to do the Berlioz Te Deum (and obviously Symphonie Fantastique) but not Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet or his Requiem? I can imagine Abbado would have been superb at the requiem. I wish he had found time to look into Nielsen and maybe Sibelius too. I can imagine a fine Haydn Creation, too.

Abbado had a long and productive career anyway, but some of these omissions are puzzling.

--Jeff
td
2014-01-22 04:06:49 UTC
Taste.

TD
Herman
2014-01-22 09:29:30 UTC
Post by td
Taste.
TD
Apparently he preferred the wild Prokofiev à la the Scythian stuff and the Third symphony. I find it puzzling, too, but it is the way it is.

In a way it is too bad that a conductor with such a range increasingly revisited Beethoven and Mahler (both three recorded cycles?) and did not record a Schumann symphony until he was exhausted.
Johannes Roehl
2014-01-22 10:23:32 UTC
In a way it is too bad that a conductor with such a range
increasingly revisited Beethoven and Mahler (both three recorded
cycles?) and did not record a Schumann symphony until he was
exhausted.
This is even more puzzling, because he recorded comparably rare Schumann
like the Faust scenes, the concert pieces (with Perahia) and the
"Requiem für Mignon".
themusicparlour
2014-01-22 10:26:09 UTC
Interesting to read the Jan.1973 'EMG' review of the previously elusive Beethoven Sym.8 (VPO: Decca SXL6549), as they'd considered the earlier 7th to be recommendable (other reviewers considered it 'immature').

"...Abbado's performance..is disappointingly superficial, especially in the last 2 movements, which he rushes through, missing entirely entirely the depth of the music.." (similar comments could be made about the VPO/Tchaikovsky 4 !!).

This particular LP points out a limitation of the, presumably, 'TD approved' CHARM/Decca discog (not updated since 2009); as it's limited to 'first release' (UK/US) + reissue (first stereo/ex-RCA); so, without any other source, no-one could ascertain the coupling as being Krips' Schubert 8 - which is only shown as the original SXL (+ Einem/Mehta) - nor the 1981 LP reissue of SXL6549 (Pickwick/Contour CC7503 - which I have: the SXL probably selling in minute quantities).
Herman
2014-01-22 13:10:46 UTC
wouldn't it be more interesting to listen for yourself?
themusicparlour
2014-01-22 13:26:10 UTC
...what a good idea..never thought of that, as only acquired 10k of lp's as wall-insulation.
M***@here.org
2014-01-23 12:53:48 UTC
every body goes bat shit crazy for someone thats gone never did rate him anyway
Herman
2014-01-23 14:44:34 UTC
pretty deep stuff, fella.
l***@aol.com
2014-01-23 14:44:31 UTC
Abbado's is the best recording I know (by a good margin) of these works by Webern:

http://www.amazon.com/Schoenburg-Survivor-Warsaw-Webern-Orchestral/dp/B000001GF3

Larry Kart
g***@gmail.com
2014-06-26 09:57:12 UTC
Post by td
[...]
MusicWeb International just put his RITE OF SPRING on their list of recommended recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/recommends/home.htm
Herman
2014-06-26 10:30:26 UTC
so what?
Tassilo
2014-06-30 03:00:38 UTC
Abbado's fervent commitment to contemporary music is not especially well documented with commercial recordings. He performed Stockhausen's epochal but problematic to program Gruppen for three orchestras in Chicago, Milan, London, Vienna, and Berlin: unfortunately, the live BPO recording on DG is terribly shaky and insecure and not remotely the best document of the piece itself. His championship of Luigi Nono is better documented with studio recordings. One particular enthusiasm of Abbado's was the music of Brian Ferneyhough (b. 1943): Abbado performed Ferneyhough's rip roaring La terre est un homme on his inaugural concert as Principal Conductor of the LSO in 1979, and later attempted (unsuccessfully) to get it programmed in Chicago. He was never successful in coaxing an opera for La Scala out of Boulez, but he frequently programmed Boulez's Notations for orchestra, and DG issued a live recording of a performance with Abbado and the VPO.

-dg
gggg gggg

Review: Abbado's Perfect Rossini Starter Set
gggg gggg
2022-05-25 08:16:16 UTC
Post by td
[...]

Claudio Abbado's 10 Best of Far Too Many Recordings--A Preview