Giulini EMI Don Giovanni - 2016 EMI Remastering - Anyone know a source?
Thomas Baker
2021-03-31 21:00:42 UTC
In 2016 EMI/Warner remastered and repackaged (in rather deluxe form) a handful of classic operas. I managed to get the Klemperer Magic Flute, but stupidly didn't order the Giulini Don Giovanni. (From now on, no more stalling when things get reissued.) Some listeners raved about the quality of the remastering.

Now no one seems to have this. There are couple of odd $100 listings on Amazon that MIGHT be it but I'm not confident. And it's available for around $70 in Japan (at HMV etc.), but this edition is labeled as not playable on standard CD players (it's SACD only). So I think this is a different reissue entirely.

Anyone have any advice, besides not to sit on the sidelines in the future?

Thanks,
Tom Baker
Randy Lane
2021-03-31 22:57:07 UTC
Post by Thomas Baker
In 2016 EMI/Warner remastered and repackaged (in rather deluxe form) a handful of classic operas. I managed to get the Klemperer Magic Flute, but stupidly didn't order the Giulini Don Giovanni. (From now on, no more stalling when things get reissued.) Some listeners raved about the quality of the remastering.
Now no one seems to have this. There are couple of odd $100 listings on Amazon that MIGHT be it but I'm not confident. And it's available for around $70 in Japan (at HMV etc.), but this edition is labeled as not playable on standard CD players (it's SACD only). So I think this is a different reissue entirely.
Anyone have any advice, besides not to sit on the sidelines in the future?
Thanks,
Tom Baker
You can get all 5 of the Warner Deluxe remastered editions you speak of in one package for less than $100 you is being asked for just Don Giovanni.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q8Q6QR9/
John Fowler
2021-04-01 03:23:50 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Post by Thomas Baker
[...]
There were two additional operas in this deluxe series, newly remastered in 2017, for a total a total of seven operas:
--- The Karajan Rosenkavalier - ttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WR66XZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
--- The Klemperer Fliegende Hollander - https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-fliegende-Hollander-Otto-Klemperer/dp/B073WR42L2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=klemperer+fliegende&qid=1617247023&s=music&sr=1-3
They are still reasonably priced on Amazon.
I believe these two were the end of the deluxe series, but wouldn't mind being corrected.
Randy Lane
The fifth was the Pretre/Callas Tosca.
Randy Lane
2021-04-01 03:57:07 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Post by John Fowler
Post by Randy Lane
Post by Thomas Baker
[...]
There were actually 7.

Carmen/Beecham * ŧ
Der Rosenkavalier/Karajan ŧ
Flying Dutchman/Klemperer ŧ
Magic Flute/Klemperer * ŧ
La Traviata/Muti *
Tosca/Pretre *
Don Giovanni/Giullini * ŧ

The * items are in the collection I included the link for above.
The ŧ items I own separately, purchased at the time they were individually released, and am very happy with the remastering.
The other two I have form other collections and see little value own a separate superlative remastered edition of.
George M.
2021-04-01 23:40:26 UTC
This remastering is a available for streaming, including hirez streaming, at qobuz https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/mozart-don-giovanni-2016-remastered-wachter-schwarzkopf-sutherland-alva-taddei-giulini/0190295895747. You can also purchase download files

I don't know how comfortable you are with this type of technology, still, I thought to mentioned it here in a wider context of how the technology enables the collector of today.
Thomas Baker

carl...@verizon.net
2021-04-07 01:54:49 UTC
Post by Thomas Baker
[...]
You can download the hi-res version for free from this website:

http://la-castafiore.blogspot.com/search?q=Giulini
Alex Brown
2021-04-07 06:27:11 UTC
Post by George M.
Post by Thomas Baker
[...]
I see Pristine Audio also sell a version taken from a (presumably early)
LP and then given their various digital treatments. Ralph Moore (a
reviewer whose ears I generally trust) called this "easily the best
option" sonically.

I've listened to that, and the first EMI digital CD issue and both sound
fine. But this is a recording which has always sounded pretty good (I
think my first acquaintance with it was on EMI cassettes).
- Alex Brown
Thomas Baker
2021-04-07 12:18:30 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Thomas Baker
[...]
Thanks for the Pristine suggestion and also to Carl for the Italian download site for the 2016 remastering, which is an amazing find. I have both now and am studying the differences. I must say the Pristine LP transfer sounds great, although the 2016 reissue sounds a little more open and natural. But you are right, it's a wonderful sounding recording for 1959.

Tom Baker