2019-09-24 14:53:11 UTC
I've been entranced by these miniatures for the last few days, listening to as many performances as I can on YT. After going through quite a few recordings and videos, my conclusions are as follows:
1. Teresa Berganza/Felix Lavilla - for me the finest performance by an operatic mezzo.
2. Teresa Berganza/Gerald Moore - an earlier video and touchingly charming (parts 1+2). Moore isn't as "Spanish" as some of the native Spanish pianists
3. Victoria de los Ángeles/Alicia de Larrocha - wonderful piano playing as you'd expect, but prefer Berganza.
4. Estrella Morente/Javier Perianes - here we have a flamenco singer/dancer and it makes quite a difference. I really enjoy this.
5. Trinidad Montero/Musikkollegium Winterthur/Roberto González Monjas - this is a rather good arrangement by Berio. Once again a very idiomatic flamenco singer with a fine voice. Another one I really enjoy.
I thought it was worth bringing these recordings to your attention. Please add any other favourites!