De Falla: 7 Canciones Populares Españolas
2019-09-24 14:53:11 UTC
I've been entranced by these miniatures for the last few days, listening to as many performances as I can on YT. After going through quite a few recordings and videos, my conclusions are as follows:

1. Teresa Berganza/Felix Lavilla - for me the finest performance by an operatic mezzo.

2. Teresa Berganza/Gerald Moore - an earlier video and touchingly charming (parts 1+2). Moore isn't as "Spanish" as some of the native Spanish pianists

3. Victoria de los Ángeles/Alicia de Larrocha - wonderful piano playing as you'd expect, but prefer Berganza.

4. Estrella Morente/Javier Perianes - here we have a flamenco singer/dancer and it makes quite a difference. I really enjoy this.

5. Trinidad Montero/Musikkollegium Winterthur/Roberto González Monjas - this is a rather good arrangement by Berio. Once again a very idiomatic flamenco singer with a fine voice. Another one I really enjoy.

I thought it was worth bringing these recordings to your attention. Please add any other favourites!
JohnGavin
2019-09-24 16:00:09 UTC
3. Victoria de los Ángeles/Alicia de Larrocha - wonderful piano playing as you'd expect, but prefer Berganza.
http://youtu.be/YHMV1GFL3_g

Alicia de Larrocha accompanied this entire concert at Hunter College from memory! That is amazing!
number_six
2019-09-28 02:07:41 UTC
Enjoyed the Berio arrangement -- I had not heard this.
number_six
2019-09-28 18:34:58 UTC
Post by number_six
Enjoyed the Berio arrangement -- I had not heard this.
One of the canciones (jota? seguidilla?) has a phrase I've tried to sketch out below,

GAB CEbC BbDBb AbCAb C

that would work well with the Italian lament "moccatora" -- sound cuts off at 2"36, otherwise here is a great example

I think the two themes counter each other nicely, imagining how it would sound...
number_six
2019-09-29 16:15:09 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by number_six
Enjoyed the Berio arrangement -- I had not heard this.
One of the canciones (jota? seguidilla?) has a phrase I've tried to sketch out below,
GAB CEbC BbDBb AbCAb C
oops, that phrase should end on the starting G, not C

l***@gmail.com
2019-09-25 17:19:14 UTC
http://youtu.be/213cxfA-Luc
http://youtu.be/eHO5t6k2olU
http://youtu.be/9TlMUAGkIcg
http://youtu.be/ZnkAKgitM2o
http://youtu.be/DlrN5ahvgLk
I thought it was worth bringing these recordings to your attention. Please add any other favourites!
c***@gmail.com
2019-09-25 17:58:13 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
Well, I don't know what's on youtube, but you really ought to hear Maria Barrientos with the composer accompanying, and the 1928-30 recordings by several singers, esp. Conchita Supervia, accompanied by Frank Marshall. I love Berganza in just about anything. And speaking of great mezzos, last weekend we heard a broadcast of "Carmen" from the LA Opera starring Ana María Martínez in the title role. We thought she was fabulous. Here's some Falla:
With the Halffter orchestration, unfortunately, but still breathtaking.

2019-09-26 06:04:33 UTC
Very helpful - thanks for the A-M Martinez link. Very nice. I've tried and failed to like Supervia - maybe the recording quality doesn't capture her magic, though other singers of the era like Ninon Vallin come through OK for me.

Big thank you for the link to Barrientos/Falla. That's really valuable and I had missed it.

g***@gmail.com
2019-09-27 05:42:43 UTC
http://youtu.be/P5zLfHP8k70
Galli-Curci couldn't establish herself at the MET until M.B. retired from there in 1920.
s***@gmail.com
2019-09-27 00:18:39 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I thought it was worth bringing these recordings to your attention. Please add any other favourites!
Elsie Houston on Marston

Ana María Iriarte in the Falla Introuvables box.

Maria Barriento with de Falla in the Composers in Person box is too low key for me. Marilyn Horne gets played because her Siete canciones populares españolas was the first I heard circa 1974.
Andy Evans
2019-09-27 11:31:43 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Maria Barriento with de Falla in the Composers in Person box is too low key for me.
It's very interesting to go back to the composer in this. Speeds are slower and there's absolutely no grandstanding. In fact the piano stays pretty much at a constant mezzo forte, possibly because the usual guitar accompaniment to flamenco would stay at a similar volume, without the added weight a concert grand could potentially bring. Maybe the recording plays some part in this - there may be some compression. I like this performance because of the composer's choice of phrasing - as is often the case the composer brings a kind of inevitability and rightness to it.

I've been listening to performances of these songs for a week or so, and besides the wonderful Berganza, I'm really liking the two flamenco singers Estrella Morente and Trinidad Montero. They bring a whole other dimension to the music, and it sounds very idiomatically Spanish.
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-28 04:26:44 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Maria Barriento with de Falla in the Composers in Person box is too low key for me.
It's very interesting to go back to the composer in this. Speeds are slower and there's absolutely no grandstanding...
- The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

L.P. Hartley