Membership inclusion
Maria Delgado Petersen
2020-12-07 23:21:38 UTC
Hello,

I have become an avid classical music lover recently after joining a group of Wagnerians who regularly meet for presentations & listening sessions. A fellow colleague has referred me to this group as an excellent source for furthering my knowledge. Thus, I would like to be part of this team people who love classical music while exploring an endless source of musical repertoire and texts, biographies & anecdotes.

Hope I will receive good news soon !

Rgds,
Maria
Frank Berger
2020-12-07 23:38:30 UTC
Post by Maria Delgado Petersen
Hello,
I have become an avid classical music lover recently after joining a group of Wagnerians who regularly meet for presentations & listening sessions. A fellow colleague has referred me to this group as an excellent source for furthering my knowledge. Thus, I would like to be part of this team people who love classical music while exploring an endless source of musical repertoire and texts, biographies & anecdotes.
Hope I will receive good news soon !
Rgds,
Maria
You are welcome. There is no such thing as "membership."
You can lurk or post as you wish. Nor is the group moderated
in any way. As you will see.
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-12-08 01:43:08 UTC
Post by Maria Delgado Petersen
Hello,
I have become an avid classical music lover recently after joining a group of Wagnerians who regularly meet for presentations & listening sessions. A fellow colleague has referred me to this group as an excellent source for furthering my knowledge. Thus, I would like to be part of this team people who love classical music while exploring an endless source of musical repertoire and texts, biographies & anecdotes.
Hope I will receive good news soon !
Rgds,
Maria
Hi, Maria, nobody here is a member as such. We simply contribute, and read posts, according to our musical interests whenever we feel like it. So welcome and join in. Non musical topics (mostly of a political nature) should be marked OT (off topic), but musically, most anything is permissible. Maybe you could tell us your musical interests and favourite artists.
I am predominantly a classical orchestral nerd, mostly late 19th century to the present, Russian, Baltic area, Nationalistic music. As for Wagner I like the 'çhunks' very much, sans any singing. For earlier music, fyi, I am presently awaiting Abbado's Mendelssohn symphonies purchased on Ebay. A rare and quite late excursion into this particular period for me, but I think Mendelssohn is worth it. Much underrated imho.

Ray Hall, Taree
mswd...@gmail.com
2020-12-08 02:58:21 UTC
Maria - you have joined us in the twilight years of this group. While searching the archives may reveal varied and interesting discussions, arguments and controversies (with the Joyce Hatto affair really having no equal), there's not a lot of activity around here any more. Many of the recording collectors who used to be here have decamped to Symphonyshare, a moderated group devoted to sharing recordings. But many others have just left, gotten busy with work, or, sadly, died. I'm sure if you could compel a "role call" you'd a decent roster of contributors, but it certainly feels like group activity is a third of what it used to be. And unfortunately, the latest Google Groups interface is the worst yet. But the search engine works, and there is a lot of history under these still waters.

Hope you find something to interest you- ask a good question, and maybe the forest murmurs will come to life!

It's not much to offer, but on the question of Brahms vs. Wagner, around 18 months ago I saw Simone Young conduct the CSO in orchestral excerpts from Gotterdammerung, preceded by List's Prometheus and followed by (really, I think this was the problem) the Brahms/Schoenberg Piano Quartet. The Wagner was spine-tingling, while the Brahms, a piece I love, put me to sleep. Literally. (I use a CPAP now, so it's not all Johannes's fault). Anyway, Wagner won that night. Young was supposed to conduct Mahler 7 in Chicago this season, but that got cancelled. I certainly would have attended.

The Young concert I mention can be heard here:
https://csosoundsandstories.org/cso-radio-simone-young-conducts-wagner-and-brahms/

Welcome!
Steven Bornfeld
2020-12-08 03:08:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
"Twilight years" they may be; still, there is far more activity here
than in any other usenet group in which I used to participate. Ironic
for me, as I was working and wasting time on usenet, and now find less
ways to waste time on usenet now that I'm retired.

Steve
gggg gggg
I wonder if your duenna would even APPROVE of some of us.
Audio Philiosis
2021-01-24 14:02:12 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by Maria Delgado Petersen
Hello,
I have become an avid classical music lover recently after joining a group of Wagnerians who regularly meet for presentations & listening sessions. A fellow colleague has referred me to this group as an excellent source for furthering my knowledge. Thus, I would like to be part of this team people who love classical music while exploring an endless source of musical repertoire and texts, biographies & anecdotes.
Hope I will receive good news soon !
Rgds,
Maria
I wonder if your duenna would even APPROVE of some of us.
Certainly not the 'snake oil masters' that seem to dominate this gorup.......