Fou Ts'ong dies of Covid-19
Add Reply
Graham
2020-12-29 15:34:11 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55471813
Henk vT
2020-12-29 18:30:35 UTC
Post by Graham
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55471813
RIP. His version of the Debussy etudes is among the best.

Henk
Mark Melson
2020-12-29 18:33:23 UTC
If you want to sample his artistry, there's a wonderful recording of Scarlatti Sonatas on Spotify.
Al Eisner
2020-12-29 19:02:20 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55471813
RIP. His version of the Debussy etudes is among the best.
Henk
Sad news, RIP.

I had not been aware of the fate of his parents (see article).

Will plan to investigate his Debussy. (I don't think I've heard
anything non-Chopin of his.)
I too did not know, until reading this, how his parents died.
Graham
2020-12-29 20:29:48 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55471813
RIP. His version of the Debussy etudes is among the best.
Henk
Sad news, RIP.
I had not been aware of the fate of his parents (see article).
Will plan to investigate his Debussy. (I don't think I've heard
anything non-Chopin of his.)
I have his Scarlatti CD and another of Bach Handel and Scarlatti. Both on
Meridian and both worth acquiring.
Frank Lekens
2020-12-29 20:35:29 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55471813
RIP. His version of the Debussy etudes is among the best.
Henk
Sad news, RIP.
I had not been aware of the fate of his parents (see article).
Will plan to investigate his Debussy. (I don't think I've heard
anything non-Chopin of his.)
I have his Scarlatti CD and another of Bach Handel and Scarlatti. Both on
Meridian and both worth acquiring.
I rather like all of the cd's he made for them, also the Mozart and even
that rather late Haydn (i.e. he recorded that late in life, and it's
audibly not a young man's Haydn, but still nice).

Here's an 1968 Dubrovnik recital that I think the BBC plays every once
in a while in their night programme and that someone now uploaded to
YouTube on the occasion of this sad news.

--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/
https://franklekens.blogspot.nl/
Alan Cooper
2020-12-29 22:00:36 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
http://youtu.be/EzB2WSFdE0E
--
A wonderful, refined artist. I agree with Frank, and (among other things) highly recommend the 2-CD Schumann collection on Meridian, fortunately available from Presto as a lossless d/l: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8734590--schumann-piano-works. It's also worthwhile to track down this set of (relative) Chopin rarities: https://www.discogs.com/Fou-TsOng-Chopin-Fantaisie-Polonaise-Fantaisie-Berceuse-Barcarole/release/13250023.

AC
Graham
I think "refined" sums him up perfectly.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-12-30 00:19:29 UTC
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:00:36 -0800 (PST), Alan Cooper
Post by Alan Cooper
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
[...]
Except for the last mentioned Chopin disc, all CDs recommended in this
thread are on Spotify.
John Fowler
2020-12-30 12:02:13 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
[...]
Fou Ts'ong played the third piano in two major-label recordings of Mozart's Three Piano Concerto K 242:
with Yalta and Jeremy Menuhin, conducted by Yehudi Menuhin (EMI - late '60s)
with Vladimir Ashkenazy and Daniel Barenboim, conducted by Ashkenazy (Decca - 1972)
Frank Lekens
2020-12-30 13:03:29 UTC
Post by Alan Cooper
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
[...]
Yes, unlike his Chopin nocturnes on Sony (OOP for ages) or some
Beethoven and Chopin recordings that never even seem to have made it to CD.

Al Eisner
2020-12-31 21:40:55 UTC
Post by Alan Cooper
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
[...]
Poking around on youtube following the news of his passing, I settled on'
listening to an audio-onky Barcarolle, which I found touching as well as
refined in execution.. Might that be the same one you refer to? But your
link doesn't work for me (discogs says it is not found). Amazon lists very
little available, but there are some mysterious vinyls (including an
inexpensive Westminster) for which no contents are available.

Presto has surprisingly little of his Chopin available, but they
do have his Schumann (even in CD form), as well as Mozart and
Haydn collections, and some other things already mentioned. Since
I'm already planning a Presto order....
2020-12-31 22:39:37 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 3:35:48 PM UTC-5, Frank
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Op dinsdag 29 december 2020 om 16:34:19 UTC+1 schreef
Post by Graham
[...]
The discogs link works for me. It's a Sony Essential
Classics 53515, long OOP. Try this:

https://tinyurl.com/ydanqanr

I don't think Fou's Westminster recordings were ever on CD.
His later recordings for Meridian are available on CD as
well as downloads from them. Except they don't list the
Schumann disc. I ordered it on CD from Presto, but if
Meridian doesn't have it I won't be surprised if Presto
can't get it.
Al Eisner
2020-12-31 23:08:04 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Frank Lekens
Post by Graham
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Henk vT
Post by Graham
[...]
Thanks for that link. Arkiv has that Essential Classics Chopin in stock
as a full-priced CD. I've not purchased from Arkiv. Can one tell
from a listing whether they are selling an original CD vs. their own
CD-R? As for the Schumann 2-CD set )Meridian), Presto claims to have
it for shipping in 4-5 days. I'll probably find out!
Henk vT
2020-12-30 16:32:28 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
Here's an 1968 Dubrovnik recital that I think the BBC plays every once
in a while in their night programme and that someone now uploaded to
YouTube on the occasion of this sad news.
http://youtu.be/EzB2WSFdE0E
Thanks! It's a great recital.

Henk
Mandryka
2020-12-31 04:46:03 UTC
I like Fou’s performances but the outstanding one IMO is the Beethoven PC4 with Ensemble Varsovie. Outstanding for the originality of the conception. All the other things I’ve heard have a lovely sound, a lovely touch, and are wonderfully poetic, but in conception they are pretty mainstream. The Beethoven concerto has been rethought through from scratch, and the result is fascinating.

Are there any other recorded performances of his like that?
Al Eisner
2021-01-01 22:03:00 UTC
I like Fou’s performances but the outstanding one IMO is the Beethoven PC4 with Ensemble Varsovie. Outstanding for the originality of the conception. All the other things I’ve heard have a lovely sound, a lovely touch, and are wonderfully poetic, but in conception they are pretty mainstream. The Beethoven concerto has been rethought through from scratch, and the result is fascinating.
Are there any other recorded performances of his like that?
I listened to his Papillons on youtube (annoying ads, avoidable if you
have youtube premium or use spotify). It seems way different from
typical performances. I'm not sure it's to my taste, but it is well-
played and very interesting, and might be to your taste.
Mandryka
2021-01-02 09:25:02 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Mandryka
I like Fou’s performances but the outstanding one IMO is the Beethoven PC4 with Ensemble Varsovie. Outstanding for the originality of the conception. All the other things I’ve heard have a lovely sound, a lovely touch, and are wonderfully poetic, but in conception they are pretty mainstream. The Beethoven concerto has been rethought through from scratch, and the result is fascinating.
Are there any other recorded performances of his like that?
I listened to his Papillons on youtube (annoying ads, avoidable if you
have youtube premium or use spotify). It seems way different from
typical performances. I'm not sure it's to my taste, but it is well-
played and very interesting, and might be to your taste.
Thanks, the Schumann cd on Meridian is worth hearing, I’m quite keen on his DBT and Kreisliana.