Buchbinder's Beethoven PC's on Sony
2018-06-15 22:46:56 UTC
A recent live recital broadcast led to my first hearing of his 2011 Sony cd recordings of the complete set of the Beethoven PC’s on YT .

Or , http://tinyurl.com/y8ctpdsw

These are live performances with the Vienna Phil. , conducted also by Buchbinder. Per comments in reviews at Amazon-US, I believe the works were recorded in 2011 at a Saturday evening concert , and then at the very next day Sunday matinee in Vienna ( ! ). The orchestra must have high regard for Buchbinder to do yet another Beethoven PC cycle under such circumstances. A copy of the cd set interestingly says : P 2013 by Rudolf Buchbinder.Under exclusive license to Sony. C 2013 Sony. Distributed by Sony ( with a Warsaw address ).

The are enough distinctive nuances to warrant adding this excellent set to my other Beethoven PC recordings. A bit tentative in the first mov. of # 1, perhaps the first played , but wonderful,Romantic slow movs. in all the concertos , very sweeping playing, “ con brio “ in all the concertos . The orchestra was fully engaged ; neither the pianism nor conducting seemed to suffer from Buchbinder’s dual role ; not sure he could have pulled this off with another band. IF the YT’s are evidence, the sound appears very good. Meat on the bones in # 2 ; # 3rd notable for an extra dose of “ sunlight “ throughout ; the first mov. of # 4 may be too dramatic, assertive , but an interesting contrast to more “reverent” readings , its final mov. wonderful contrasts ; the rubato in the slow, lyrical section of the first mov. of “Emperor “ , and its second mov. here , sealed the deal for me.

Opinions expressed here meant to encourage listening, not meant ex cathedra.
m***@gmail.com
2018-07-23 14:40:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/5Xyg_NZZey0
[...]
His recent traversal of Beethoven sonatas (he recorded most of them already for Teldec in the 80s) is very good too. I heard him in concert a number of times playing Beethoven sonatas and was systematically impressed.