Vengerov on the end of cd's
2013-11-16 16:00:55 UTC
" There are no recording budgets now, so I decided I must launch my own label, Vengerov Music Vision. I will release four or five recordings, available only on my website. It’s not about business or promotion, but I understand CDs will be over within two or three years, so I have to come up with a way to do things the way I believe.”
The big question is, are modern audiences forgetting the art of listening to classical music?
“Today we have a different pace,” Vengerov ponders. “It’s all in a rush. Music offers us a retreat. It has the power of healing, because we learn something not only about music but about ourselves.
“When I listen to [violinist] Mischa Elman’s recordings, it confirms that we used to be right to use slower tempi. He took time to feel the space between the notes. We need to return to the roots, and we shouldn’t cut ourselves off from the source.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/classicalmusic/10453204/Maxim-Vengerov-new-and-turbo-charged.html

He is also to play the Britten concerto in February with the LSO in London ; that is one I hope BBC Radio 3 broadcasts !!
Herman
2013-11-16 17:57:16 UTC
strange idea about slower tempi being "right".
Lionel Tacchini
2013-11-16 18:03:57 UTC
“When I listen to [violinist] Mischa Elman’s recordings, it
confirms that we used to be right to use slower tempi. He took time
to feel the space between the notes. We need to return to the
roots, and we shouldn’t cut ourselves off from the source.”
strange idea about slower tempi being "right".
He just got tired of running around.
Lionel Tacchini
td
2013-11-16 20:08:53 UTC
Nothing strange at all, Herman.

Many musicians reach this conclusion after spending their youth racing after everything.

Slow down. Smell the roses.

It is, of course, that the rhythmic pulse be maintained, if not Heifetz's mad tempos. Heifetz stopped playing when he would have had to slow down. He didn't have the technique to play slowly!

TD
Herman
2013-11-16 21:28:00 UTC
Post by td
Nothing strange at all, Herman.
I'm puzzled by Vengerov's notion that tempi used to be slower.

That just depends on how far you go back.
a***@verizon.net
2013-11-17 02:34:39 UTC
“When I listen to [violinist] Mischa Elman’s recordings, it confirms that we used to be right to use slower tempi. He took time to feel the space between the notes. We need to return to the roots, and we shouldn’t cut ourselves off from the source.”
strange idea about slower tempi being "right".
agree. but why does he not mention Kreisler

AB
td
2013-11-17 02:37:48 UTC
Kreisler was's a Slav.

TD
a***@verizon.net
2013-11-18 03:33:00 UTC
Post by td
Kreisler was's a Slav.
TD
thought he was German-( born Jewish converted to Catholic)

AB
Herman
2013-11-18 06:38:20 UTC
that's Slav to td
Willem Orange
2013-11-18 10:33:14 UTC
that's Slav to td
No history here shows that he would be a "mongrel" to TD.
John Wiser
2013-11-18 12:54:49 UTC
Post by Willem Orange
Post by Herman
that's Slav to td
No history here shows that he would be a "mongrel" to TD.
ITYH omitted an essential comma.

jdw
Willem Orange
Yes, you are so right. Of course it should be "No, history here shows that he would be a "mongrel" to TD. Thanks
td
2013-11-18 14:33:29 UTC
There has only been one "mongrel" here and on his own admission, as a matter of fact. He went by a variety of pseudonyms, in order to protect his identity. Seems to have taken his identity to other places.

He is not, however, the only poster who is scared shitless of revealing his identity.

TD
Willem Orange
2013-11-18 15:36:20 UTC
Post by td
There has only been one "mongrel" here and on his own admission, as a matter of fact. He went by a variety of pseudonyms, in order to protect his identity. Seems to have taken his identity to other places.
He is not, however, the only poster who is scared shitless of revealing his identity.
TD
Scared????? of who, you??? HA HA HA HA And I'm happy to see you are back at one your favorite trolling activities- name calling. I know your personality won't admit to it but a lot of what happens here has absolutely nothing to do with you - there are many reasons posters use different names, security being one of them and it also (I know it's hard to believe) is none of your business!!!!
Why not go back to explaining to all of us how Saint Wilma Fine(whose name according to you is spoken in whispered reverence by recording experts!!!!!!) could tell the difference when the same CD was copied using different machines. That was not only informative but amusing. Ta-Ta
MiNe109
2013-11-18 16:27:28 UTC
Post by Willem Orange
Scared????? of who, you??? HA HA HA HA And I'm happy to see you are
back at one your favorite trolling activities- name calling. I know
your personality won't admit to it but a lot of what happens here has
absolutely nothing to do with you - there are many reasons posters use
different names, security being one of them and it also (I know it's
hard to believe) is none of your business!!!!
Why not go back to explaining to all of us how Saint Wilma Fine
(whose name according to you is spoken in whispered reverence by recording
experts!!!!!!) could tell the difference when the same CD was copied using
different machines. That was not only informative but amusing. Ta-Ta
As much fun as it is to pile on TD, Fine isn't the only sound expert who
heard inexplicable differences between pressings.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/qa-barry-diament-soundkeeper-recordings

[Q] Could you explain why a CD-R is better than a CD when spinning a
disc and why this difference doesn't matter when ripping and playing
back from hard drive?

[A] I wish I could explain why. I’ve read a number of theories and some
of them may or may not make sense.

From my earliest days in CD mastering, I always noticed that the
finished CDs from different replication facilities all sound different
from each other and none sounds indistinguishable from the CD master
used to make it. Often, CDs made on different production lines within
the same plant don’t sound like each other either. In all cases, there
is a loss of “focus” and fine detail, usually subtle, sometimes not so
subtle.

End quote.

Diament solves the 'problem' by advocating computer playback.

Stephen
Willem Orange
It's not "fun" to pile on TD (the visual image alone is distressing) but it is a necessary evil. If you don't like it, you have only to ignore it.
MiNe109
2013-11-18 16:36:50 UTC
Post by Willem Orange
Post by MiNe109
As much fun as it is to pile on TD, Fine isn't the only sound expert who
heard inexplicable differences between pressings.
<snip>
Post by Willem Orange
It's not "fun" to pile on TD (the visual image alone is distressing) but
it is a necessary evil. If you don't like it, you have only to ignore it.
Excellent advice, but I'm interested in separating WCF from the fray.

Stephen
Gerard
2013-11-18 20:39:43 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Post by Willem Orange
[...]
From my earliest days in CD mastering, I always noticed that the
finished CDs from different replication facilities all sound different
from each other and none sounds indistinguishable from the CD master
used to make it. Often, CDs made on different production lines within
the same plant don’t sound like each other either. In all cases, there
is a loss of “focus” and fine detail, usually subtle, sometimes not so
subtle.
End quote.
Diament solves the 'problem' by advocating computer playback.
Stephen
It's not "fun" to pile on TD (the visual image alone is distressing) but it
is a necessary evil. If you don't like it, you have only to ignore it.

============================

Why don't you ignore TD?
More than 95% of your writings is garbage because of not ignoring him.
Willem Orange
Why don't you stop trying to be the anal retentive policeman of this group and mind your business???
Willem Orange
BTW I never said Fine was the only one who heard differences - however the reason the difference remains "inexplicable" raises a great big red flag which indicates that it is purely a personal preference which should not really matter to anyone else
MiNe109
2013-11-18 16:47:37 UTC
Post by Willem Orange
Post by MiNe109
As much fun as it is to pile on TD, Fine isn't the only sound expert who
heard inexplicable differences between pressings.
BTW I never said Fine was the only one who heard differences - however the
reason the difference remains "inexplicable" raises a great big red flag
which indicates that it is purely a personal preference which should not
really matter to anyone else.
Life's too short to worry about different cd pressings of the same
masterings. Those on the production side have different priorities.

I'm looking into the music server solution myself, as a recent flood has
disturbed my already problematic cd storage system.

Stephen
td
2013-11-18 14:29:40 UTC
Should have read "wasn't", of course.