RIP...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2020-12-30 17:20:37 UTC
*Claude Bowling*...
Andrew Clarke
2020-12-30 20:57:59 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Claude Bowling*...
<https://en.claude-bolling.com/>

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2020-12-31 22:00:04 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
*Claude Bowling*...
Just to add that Paris was home to some great jazz roughly 1945-1965, as anyone who's bought anything from the Gitanes "Jazz in Paris" series will agree. The locals were helped along by some fine expat Americans like Sidney Bechet, Kenny Clarke, Sonny Criss and Dave Thompson.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
MELMOTH
2020-12-31 22:44:58 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Just to add that Paris was home to some great jazz roughly 1945-1965, as
anyone who's bought anything from the Gitanes "Jazz in Paris" series will
agree. The locals were helped along by some fine expat Americans like Sidney
Bechet, Kenny Clarke, Sonny Criss and Dave Thompson.
*
For me, *Charlie MINGUS* , *Thelonius MONK* or *Duke ELLINGTON* are to
be put on the same level as Monteverdi, Bach or Schönberg !...
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-01 03:21:13 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by Andrew Clarke
Just to add that Paris was home to some great jazz roughly 1945-1965, as
anyone who's bought anything from the Gitanes "Jazz in Paris" series will
agree. The locals were helped along by some fine expat Americans like Sidney
Bechet, Kenny Clarke, Sonny Criss and Dave Thompson.
*
For me, *Charlie MINGUS* , *Thelonius MONK* or *Duke ELLINGTON* are to
be put on the same level as Monteverdi, Bach or Schönberg !...
Bobby Jaspar (actually a Belgian), Rene Urtreger ... There wasn't a Dave Thompson: I meant Lucky Thompson (or Dave Pinochet).

Here's an all-star Paris lineup of the day:

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
2021-01-03 20:41:25 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by Andrew Clarke
Just to add that Paris was home to some great jazz roughly 1945-1965, as
anyone who's bought anything from the Gitanes "Jazz in Paris" series will
agree. The locals were helped along by some fine expat Americans like Sidney
Bechet, Kenny Clarke, Sonny Criss and Dave Thompson.
*
For me, *Charlie MINGUS* , *Thelonius MONK* or *Duke ELLINGTON* are to
be put on the same level as Monteverdi, Bach or Schönberg !...
Bobby Jaspar (actually a Belgian), Rene Urtreger ... There wasn't a Dave Thompson: I meant Lucky Thompson (or Dave Pinochet).
http://youtu.be/a6VY9Y-I-lI
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Recently I saw Tavernier's ROUND MIDNIGHT for the first time since the 80s. Good music, well-made film, but somehow this look at Paris expat jazz scene fell flat for me -- as did Eastwood's BIRD. Maybe it is something about the dissolute life style that went with the territory.

A SUNDAY IN THE COUNTRY -- a very different Tavernier film about an aging artist -- hold up much better IMO.
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-03 23:23:29 UTC
Recently I saw Tavernier's ROUND MIDNIGHT for the first time since the 80s. Good music, well-made film, but somehow this look at Paris expat jazz scene fell flat for me -- as did Eastwood's BIRD. Maybe it is something about the dissolute life style that went with the territory.
A SUNDAY IN THE COUNTRY -- a very different Tavernier film about an aging artist -- hold up much better IMO.
Here's something to cheer us up after "Round Midnight"

It's ages since I saw A Sunday in the Country - I hired the VHS in fact - but I remember enjoying it.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
2021-01-04 17:34:05 UTC
http://youtu.be/MtNRyWiNwHg
http://youtu.be/kvA_bHgeQCs
It's ages since I saw A Sunday in the Country - I hired the VHS in fact - but I remember enjoying it.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Nice vid clips. i have a Bechet tribute cd made by some of the Nato label gang -- Lol Coxhill, Steve Beresford, etc.