Grimaud's travails
Add Reply
Dufus
2011-01-28 14:03:10 UTC
Quite a year ; hope she is fully recovered :

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28helene.html?_r=1&ref=arts

A Berg,Bartok, Liszt,Mozart cd just released by DGG this week,
apparently.
Bozo
2014-12-09 12:56:37 UTC
And one sincerely hopes she does not compromise her health playing with her feet in cold water :

http://tinyurl.com/mmh9prc

"The presence of water does change the sound," she explained. "It's absorbing, especially of the energy of my attack, and it creates these reflections of the fumes of the sound."
However, the water also causes some real concerns, particularly when it comes to Grimaud's choice of footwear, which is still up in the air. Shoes with rubber soles proved too squeaky, while the pianist cringes at the thought of ruining a pair of leather shoes for each performance. "If it were just two performances, I would go barefoot," she said, "but the water is very cold."

Perhaps she will have her wolves on stage when she next plays Prokofieff ?
Bozo
2014-12-09 13:14:08 UTC
Berio, "Luftklavier, Feuerklavier, Wasserklavier" :

laraine
2014-12-09 18:09:52 UTC
http://tinyurl.com/mmh9prc
"The presence of water does change the sound," she explained. "It's absorbing, especially of the energy of my attack, and it creates these reflections of the fumes of the sound."
However, the water also causes some real concerns, particularly when it comes to Grimaud's choice of footwear, which is still up in the air. Shoes with rubber soles proved too squeaky, while the pianist cringes at the thought of ruining a pair of leather shoes for each performance. "If it were just two performances, I would go barefoot," she said, "but the water is very cold."
Two solutions: Do it during the summer... or if possible, heat the pool.
(Perhaps wearing boots would ruin the effect.)

C.
Al Eisner
2014-12-09 22:57:44 UTC
http://tinyurl.com/mmh9prc
"The presence of water does change the sound," she explained. "It's absorbing, especially of the energy of my attack, and it creates these reflections of the fumes of the sound."
However, the water also causes some real concerns, particularly when it comes to Grimaud's choice of footwear, which is still up in the air. Shoes with rubber soles proved too squeaky, while the pianist cringes at the thought of ruining a pair of leather shoes for each performance. "If it were just two performances, I would go barefoot," she said, "but the water is very cold."
Perhaps she will have her wolves on stage when she next plays Prokofieff ?
Does she play a piano version of "Peter"? (There is a piano
transcription by Nikolayeva on youtube and on a Russian piano school
CD; I've not heard it.)
Lionel Tacchini
2014-12-10 06:52:42 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Bozo
Perhaps she will have her wolves on stage when she next plays
Prokofieff ?
Does she play a piano version of "Peter"?
The one with the alternate ending.
Lionel Tacchini
Bozo
2014-12-11 11:55:05 UTC
"The presence of water does change the sound," she explained.
Tommasini's review :

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/arts/music/hlne-grimaud-performs-tears-become-streams-become.html?ref=arts&_r=0
arri bachrach
2014-12-11 19:16:57 UTC
"The presence of water does change the sound," she explained.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/arts/music/hlne-grimaud-performs-tears-become-streams-become.html?ref=arts&_r=0
please do not quote Tommasini's reviews. they are totally worthless (though well written, of course)

Ab
Steve Emerson
2014-12-09 17:50:39 UTC
In article
Post by Dufus
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28helene.html?_r=1&ref=arts
A Berg, Bartok, Liszt, Mozart cd just released by DGG this week,
apparently.
Jesus, this woman has been through hell.

SE.
Terry
A relentless seeker after publicity, I would say.
Lionel Tacchini
2014-12-10 09:03:33 UTC
Post by Terry
Post by Steve Emerson
In article
Post by Dufus
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28helene.html?_r=1&ref=arts
A Berg, Bartok, Liszt, Mozart cd just released by DGG this week,
apparently.
Jesus, this woman has been through hell.
A relentless seeker after publicity, I would say.
It's that or playing funny with a woolly hat.
Lionel Tacchini
Steve Emerson
2014-12-10 14:40:15 UTC
Post by Terry
Post by Steve Emerson
In article
Post by Dufus
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28helene.html?_r=1&ref=arts
A Berg, Bartok, Liszt, Mozart cd just released by DGG this week,
apparently.
Jesus, this woman has been through hell.
SE.
A relentless seeker after publicity, I would say.
"pneumonia, leading to chronic fatigue syndrome and an infection that
spread from her lungs to her heart...

... recent recovery from another, unrelated series of dire medical
issues ‹ a tumor discovered to be stomach cancer, leading, after a delay
caused by a bronchial infection, to surgery and chemotherapy."

SE.
Terry
2014-12-10 08:14:47 UTC
Well, the article is three years old. Since then, she's had enough time and good health to make several recordings and to have a serious spat with at least one conductor, so she must be in good nick.
Herman
2014-12-10 09:23:09 UTC
Even though this post is a Forman (only when the article mentioned an upcoming concert led by Claudio Abbado did I check its date) I am obviously impressed by the enormous amount of physical adversity Grimaud has had to deal with. It changes the way I think about her. It won't necessarily make me like her artistry more, but it's humbling to think she has just soldiered on.
Lionel Tacchini
2014-12-10 09:32:20 UTC
I am obviously impressed by the enormous amount of physical adversity
Grimaud has had to deal with.
It's part of the product, of course.
Lionel Tacchini
Herman
2014-12-10 10:27:35 UTC
The diminishing returns of all-out cynism
Lionel Tacchini
2014-12-10 10:59:02 UTC
Post by Lionel Tacchini
It's part of the product, of course.
The diminishing returns of all-out cynism
Sight is not a curse, no matter what dreamers like to think of it.
Lionel Tacchini
Bozo
2014-12-10 13:17:32 UTC
Did you read the post of 12/9/14 , which deals with recitals she will give between now and Jan., 2015 ? One of those recital works is the Berio "Wasserklavier" I had not heard, nor the set of 3 from which it is taken, link in the YT post here also, a very interesting brief set of pieces played wonderfully by David Kadouch in the YT .
John Wiser
2014-12-10 13:19:51 UTC
From: "Lionel Tacchini" <***@arcor.de>
Subject: Re: Grimaud's travails
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:59 AM
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Herman
Post by Lionel Tacchini
It's part of the product, of course.
The diminishing returns of all-out cynism
Sight is not a curse, no matter what dreamers like to think of it.
You flatter yourself.

jdw
Lionel Tacchini
2014-12-10 13:23:19 UTC
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:59 AM
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Herman
Post by Lionel Tacchini
It's part of the product, of course.
The diminishing returns of all-out cynism
Sight is not a curse, no matter what dreamers like to think of it.
You flatter yourself.
Better than craving it from others.
Lionel Tacchini
Willem Orange
2014-12-10 14:13:40 UTC
And yet another in the endless stream of Hallmark card quotes, fortune cookie inserts, and assorted Farmer's Almanac bromides from the groups resident oracle -the Great Tacchini. Duller than dull.
westover
2014-12-11 17:53:38 UTC
I wonder at the appropriateness of the writer starting his blurb about her latest cd with: "a mixed bag...."
Bozo
2016-02-16 13:06:00 UTC
More about her " Water " DGG cd :

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/helene-grimaud-dives-nature-water/?utm_source=local&utm_medium=treatment&utm_campaign=carousel&utm_content=item0
gggg gggg
2021-10-13 21:43:03 UTC
Post by Dufus
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/arts/music/28helene.html?_r=1&ref=arts
A Berg,Bartok, Liszt,Mozart cd just released by DGG this week,
apparently.
(Recent Y. upload):

Hélène Grimaud: Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 4, Op. 58 (Orchestre de Paris, Christoph Eschenbach)